GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30pm ET - WED. Feb. 9, 2011

+15
spader
Riprock
CockRoche
wprager
SensGirl11
Hoags
Ev
SensHulk
shabbs
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
SDH89
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:Lehner’s 1st period scouting report:
Lehner’s first save - 2:36 into the game - was not good sign. A save nonetheless, but it was a terrible shooting angle on a 22 foot shot by Jackman – who Lehner should have known would shoot. Lehner went paddle-down which I absolutely hate. It is a desperation technique and there was no reason for Lehner to be worried on that shot. Be in position, have your angle and trust your base.

From there, the next shots came in a flurry while shorthanded. With all that traffic in front, Lehner was square, as high in his crease as he could be and active with his feet. It was as strong a sequence as I have seen this season from any goalie. That two-pad stack that he made was remarkable. To be able to get his left and do that from his starting position – butterfly - with his legs and core, was astounding. Lehner now looked focused and seemed to be locating the puck with ease. That series of saves meant that he was confident and carrying that assuredness throughout the game would be something I would be watching going forward.

The goal Lehner allowed was tough one. He over-committed a little bit, but you can see him quickly adjust and try to get back into the middle of the net and square. The shot came before Lehner could completely return to position and therefore he had to reach with his blocker. When this happened, the pushing foot came off the ice and he couldn’t complete his return to the proper angle. The original shot was remarkably stopped – thanks to his ability to see the puck so well thus far in the game. The rebound – off a body – was not stoppable because of the original over-commit and pushing foot slip.

From there on out, Lehner was back to anticipating well, tracking pucks, being in position and mentally sharp in all its aspects. He made so many key saves.

A great period overall from Lehner; he was the first star without question.

Thanks a lot for that! It was really cool to read.

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:I missed the penalty on Kovalev. What happened?

Apparently at the end of the first, as he skated off the ice he had a few things to say to the refs that they didn't like.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Lehner’s first save - 2:36 into the game - was not good sign. A save nonetheless, but it was a terrible shooting angle on a 22 foot shot by Jackman – who Lehner should have known would shoot. Lehner went paddle-down which I absolutely hate. It is a desperation technique and there was no reason for Lehner to be worried on that shot. Be in position, have your angle and trust your base.

From there, the next shots came in a flurry while shorthanded. With all that traffic in front, Lehner was square, as high in his crease as he could be and active with his feet. It was as strong a sequence as I have seen this season from any goalie. That two-pad stack that he made was remarkable. To be able to get his left and do that from his starting position – butterfly - with his legs and core, was astounding. Lehner now looked focused and seemed to be locating the puck with ease. That series of saves meant that he was confident and carrying that assuredness throughout the game would be something I would be watching going forward.

The goal Lehner allowed was tough one. He over-committed a little bit, but you can see him quickly adjust and try to get back into the middle of the net and square. The shot came before Lehner could completely return to position and therefore he had to reach with his blocker. When this happened, the pushing foot came off the ice and he couldn’t complete his return to the proper angle. The original shot was remarkably stopped – thanks to his ability to see the puck so well thus far in the game. The rebound – off a body – was not stoppable because of the original over-commit and pushing foot slip.

From there on out, Lehner was back to anticipating well, tracking pucks, being in position and mentally sharp in all its aspects. He made so many key saves.

Great summary. Thanks.

Bass Destruction wrote:
spader wrote:I missed the penalty on Kovalev. What happened?

Apparently at the end of the first, as he skated off the ice he had a few things to say to the refs that they didn't like.

Thanks. I heard Potvin talking about it, but started paying attention too late. Potvin is a donkey. I try to tune him out.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:

Thanks. I heard Potvin talking about it, but started paying attention too late. Potvin is a donkey. I try to tune him out.

I prefer Potvin to Galley by a pretty wide margin. Really could not stand Galley, said the same thing every game. But what bothers me about Potvin is his banter with Dean Brown. Deaner thinks he's funnier than he is.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

3-2 Calgary. Glencross scores on a breakaway.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:
spader wrote:

I prefer Potvin to Galley by a pretty wide margin. Really could not stand Galley, said the same thing every game. But what bothers me about Potvin is his banter with Dean Brown. Deaner thinks he's funnier than he is.

Potvin's voice annoys me. I also can't stand how he adds "uh" to the end of every sentence, like a Methodist minister in the deep south. "Praise Jesus-uh." etc

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
spader wrote:

Potvin's voice annoys me. I also can't stand how he adds "uh" to the end of every sentence, like a Methodist minister in the deep south. "Praise Jesus-uh." etc

Crap. Thanks a lot. I think that might ruin him for me. Glass has shattered, I now realize it. thank you. Dammit!

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Bass Destruction wrote:

Thanks a lot for that! It was really cool to read.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:Great summary. Thanks.

'Twas fun.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Can anyone pinpoint the time when I think Lehner lost his mental focus in this game?

I will wait for a couple responses before I give my thoughts. Maybe tomorrow.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Come on Fisher. Can you not hammer Stajan in that instance?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Make it stop. Peter Schaefer Surre

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:Come on Fisher. Can you not hammer Stajan in that instance?

I thought the same thing! Had him completely lined up for a clean check and he let him off the hook. Real tired of Fisher's act, he's a broken record.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:

I thought the same thing! Had him completely lined up for a clean check and he let him off the hook. Real tired of Fisher's act, he's a broken record.

I tend to keep my opinions on Fisher pretty quiet, but that was embarrassing.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:

I'm on board with SSF now Nod

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Make it stop. Peter Schaefer Surre

Not gonna happen. The streak will stop obviously and they will win a 3 in a row at some point; but it is what it is.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:

I'm on board with SSF now Nod

Oh great. Haha.

Back from the game. I'm a lot more upset with the loss than I thought I'd be, but I guess that's because I haven't seen the Sens live in probably 6 years. My thoughts from the game:

The Bad

Fisher - Invisible. Didn't do anything noteworthy, and didn't take the body. This guy isn't worth his contract, and needs to be moved.

Kuba - Soft play and bad decision making is a very bad combo. Seriously, this guy isn't even close to NHL calibre right now. If he was on a two way deal, he'd already be in Bingo based on what I saw tonight. I'd volunteer to take a kick in the chest from a horse if someone else would pick his contract up for next year. I bet I am not alone.

Phillips - Enough with the bush league pee-wee give aways, thanks. Thanks for the 10+ years of good service. I'll take the asset at the deadline though.

Lehner - A microcosm of the Sens season. Looked really good early on, then got rattled and let in two bad goals. The Jokinen goal was especially bad as he totally bit on the pass and dove out of the net, quite literally. Flashes of brilliance though. He was the best Senator early on by far.

Butler - Love this kid's hustle but his willingness to get to the net cost the team a PP goal. Next time, don't skate backwards into the goalie at full speed. Absolutely loved his hustle though.

Ruutu - After being a healthy scratch, comes back with two (unnecessary) penalties, the second of which (holding the stick while skating by the ref is going to get called every time) really cost the team in the form of a PP goal.

The Good

Kelly - Absolutely must be retained. His hockey IQ is only surpassed by Karlsson, Alfie and Spezza. All out hustle on every play, every shift, and still shows a pulse, despite this team being obviously dead in the water. This is the guy who should be the team's next captain, no questions asked.

Neil - See the Kelly hustle comment. One of the few guys who will hold other teams accountable for cheap shots on our guys.

Smith - See the Neil comment.

Michalek - Loved what I saw from him. He's a tank on skates. Some really nice speed bursts from him tonight, and very strong on the puck a few times I noticed. Now if we could get him scoring.

Shannon - Based on tonight's game, he's got to be kept. Far and away the best Senator on the ice tonight, except for perhaps Kelly. Dirt cheap, does whatever it takes, and didn't look out of place with Spezza and Michalek.

All in all, probably not much difference this game than most others this season. A 2nd half/3rd period swoon kills the team. Some really unlucky bounces too, like the Glencross breakaway goal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum