GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30pm ET - WED. Feb. 9, 2011

+15
spader
Riprock
CockRoche
wprager
SensGirl11
Hoags
Ev
SensHulk
shabbs
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
SDH89
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Who:
GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30pm ET - WED. Feb. 9, 2011 Medium @ GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30pm ET - WED. Feb. 9, 2011 Medium

Where:
Scotiabank Saddledome (get your own name!)
GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30pm ET - WED. Feb. 9, 2011 Interior

Storyline:

Funny thing, this game hockey is. Late December, the Flames were but 2 points away from being cellar dwellers, the Sens were still gasping for breath - which team would rise from the ashes like a Phoenix? Well, it ain't the Sens, losers of 16 of 17, it's the Flames, winners of 7 of 8, and more importantly, have positioned themselves in a playoff position at the time I write this.

What gives? Well, the Flames decided to allow Sutter to 'step down' and a dark cloud was lifted from off the Flames. They now come to the rink and have a good time instead of constantly answering negative questions about players, acquisitions and sometimes even management. So relaxed are they that they look like the Flames many thought they'd see this year, with secondary scoring from the likes of Curtis Glencross, Rene Bourque and even Ollie Jokinen. Iginla also turned his season around, along with Kipper, who is 6-0-1 in his last 7 and is in the middle of a scorching streak.

For the Sens, it's now a very dangerous time. They're a heck of a lot better than a lottery team - but for heaven's sake, don't tell them that right now! The Sens need to look to the future, with a top draft pick in round 1 and a high draft pick in round 2 (plus whatever they get from trades).

Brian Elliott may have saved his career by finally stepping up (after allowing 3 goals) and stymieing the Canucks on the way to a very close 4-2 loss Monday. Alex Kovalev continues to pick a perfect time to play good hockey - when scouts are around to watch. Jarkko Ruutu was a scratch last game for all the good that does to his trade value and Chris Phillips will be sold based on previous performances - this year will be looked at as an anomaly.

But the real attraction on the Sens is the return of Jason Spezza. Picking up right where he left off, Spezza is decidedly harder on the puck, more defensively aware and seems intent to shoot more this time around (14 shots so far in his return). Will it be enough to get the Sens on a winning streak? Probably not - too much has gone wrong this season to suddenly wake up and start a streak - but stranger things have happened.

With the Sens' weak brothers the Oilers as an opponent this week, look for Elliott to start tonight and Lehner to get the Oil, but again, no one knows what Clouston is thinking this year, so who knows...

Tale of the tape:
GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30pm ET - WED. Feb. 9, 2011 Medium

LINES:
GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30pm ET - WED. Feb. 9, 2011 Medium

Tanguay - Morrison - Iginla
Bourque - Jokinen - Moss
Glencross - Stajan - Jackman
Kostopoulos - Backlund -Bouma

Regehr - Bouwmeester
Giordano - Sarich
S. Staois/B. Mikkelson - A. Babchuk

Kiprusoff
Karlsson

(Guess)

Foligno - Spezza - Alfredsson
Michalek - Regin - Kovalev
Ruutu Butler - Fisher - Neil
Z.Smith - O'Brien* - Shannon

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - Campoli
Kuba - Carkner/Lee

Elliott
Lehner

*Apparently Butler + O'Brien have been called up.

Injuries:
OTTAWA:
Matt Carkner - day to day with a lower body injury - questionable
Pascal Leclaire - lower body - indefinite
Jesse Winchester - lower body - 2-3 weeks - will not play

CALGARY:
Nicolas Hagman - day to day, lower body injury - possible
Adam Party - neck - day to day, questionable
Raitis Ivanans - concussion, indefinite
Daymond Langkow - neck - indefinite

Go Sens Go!!!! Lalalala Ahhhhh!

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TONIGHT?!??! Ahhhhh!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

According to a Senschirp reader, Butler and O'Brien were seen on a Calgary-bound flight.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:According to a Senschirp reader, Butler and O'Brien were seen on a Calgary-bound flight.

Yay! That's awesome news, I love to see the young blood get chances.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Good opportunity to test Butler with Spezza. Nothing to lose now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Good opportunity to test Butler with Spezza. Nothing to lose now.

From here on in, give Butler a big chance. I say this every time though - and every time Clouston moves him away.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Good opportunity to test Butler with Spezza. Nothing to lose now.

From here on in, give Butler a big chance. I say this every time though - and every time Clouston moves him away.

Foligno is earning his top-line minutes right now, tho'. You have to move Alfie to another line if you want to see that happen.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Foligno is earning his top-line minutes right now, tho'. You have to move Alfie to another line if you want to see that happen.

Yes he is, you're right.

Can we do:

Foligno - Spezza - Butler
Michalek - Fisher - Alfie

or...am I missing someone...

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

.... So is Ruutu a healthy scratch again?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SDH89 wrote:.... So is Ruutu a healthy scratch again?

Not sure why he wouldn't play, but O'Brien coming up must mean he's not (I'm guessing of course).

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Don't forget Winchester's injury as well.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
SDH89 wrote:.... So is Ruutu a healthy scratch again?

Not sure why he wouldn't play, but O'Brien coming up must mean he's not (I'm guessing of course).

It'll be ridiculous if he's a healthy scratch again, what a great way to increase the guy's trade value. But then again, why should I expect any differently from these clowns this year? Apparently Ruutu was very "unhappy" when he was told about being scratched, perhaps he told Clouston what he really thought of him?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SDH89 wrote:
It'll be ridiculous if he's a healthy scratch again, what a great way to increase the guy's trade value. But then again, why should I expect any differently from these clowns this year? Apparently Ruutu was very "unhappy" when he was told about being scratched, perhaps he told Clouston what he really thought of him?

Laugh1 It's true, it's been a gong show here this year.

And yes, I 100% guarantee Ruutu told Clouston - a while ago - exactly how he felt. Can't recall him playing too much after the article in the paper where he said no comment or whatever it was when asked about the coaching.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Don't forget Winchester's injury as well.

That's O'Brien's spot, where does Butler go?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Didn't I read that Alfie was doubtful for tonight? (I think it's passed his bedtime personally) Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum