GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if Murray stays?

+17
rooneypoo
CockRoche
Flo The Action
strachattack
LeCaptain
SDH89
Urkie
PTFlea
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Ev
tim1_2
TheAvatar
dennycrane
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1What if Murray stays? Empty What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/24/17018921.html#/sports/hockey/2011/01/24/pf-17018921.html

As much as he's done a great job of refilling the prospects, I believe he contributes to the culture that has got us to where we are. I can't put my finger on it - allowing Melnyk to meddle of whatever.

If we're heading in a new direction, we need to start fresh with everyone.

If Murray stays and no serious changes occur, this all will have just been lip service.

2What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree. I think the ideal spot for Murray is in an Advisory position. I'm not buying what he's selling. A big part of this is Murray's fault. He built a team that can't compete and he's gone through coaches at a ridiculous rate.

He's done some great things for sure in terms of college free agent signings and the amateur draft to help set the foundation but it's time for a change IMO.

3What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Murray's problem is that he is too loyal to the core of the team. He coached a lot of the guys to the SCF in '07 and he still believes this guys can do it. All they need is the right supporting cast. He's tried free agency, trades and now he's going to call up half of Bingo.

I also think he's desperately trying to get Alfie a Cup in Ottawa, which explains the "one year plan".

I don't think he's a bad GM but I think he's lost all objectivity at this point.

I also don't think he has any vision of what the team should be, we're either a defensive team, a hard hitting physical team or a puck posession team due to the various coach hirings and statements he has made.

4What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The team of 2007 SCF would get their Donkey kicked today - the game is faster and meaner than it was 4 years ago.

5What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:26 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I'm glad Murray is sickened by the team though I didn't hear him take much in the way of responsibility.

6What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:I'm glad Murray is sickened by the team though I didn't hear him take much in the way of responsibility.

He took none at all from what I could tell. He basically said that the criticism heaped on him and the coach just means the players aren't playing well and it's on them since they performed well on other teams and that it's just all about under-achieving.

I do give him props for sending the credit down to his scouting staff for the draft picks because in that regard he put all the credit on them for that.

7What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Number Twenty Nine wrote:The team of 2007 SCF would get their Donkey kicked today - the game is faster and meaner than it was 4 years ago.

I'm not sure that's true. Depends what you mean by getting its Donkey kicked. In a way, they did get their Donkey kicked in the SCF. Are you thinking they wouldn't make it that far? I don't think you can say that; they truly dominated all the way into the finals ...

8What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think the hypothetical discussion is, in this case, pretty much pointless.

There is no way Brian Murray will be the GM of this team next year, and anyone that says differently is kidding themselves. There’s a reason he was on a 1-year deal, and it’s clear that he wants out of the GM chair just as much as most fans want him out. He will likely take a different position with the organization and someone else will take the GM position.

Him and Melnyk have had discussions about the teams future. Murray has been told to shed salary and build for the future. Murray can perform this job about as well as any replacement would at this point. Let’s remember that Murray’s strength has been prospects. It’s not exactly rocket-science either. You take the best deals the come in by the tradeline for anyone that isn’t pictured as a part of the team’s future (i.e. older guys, or guys not meeting expectations).

Melnyk quite clearly doesn’t have the stomach to pay another GM or coach to finish up this gong-show of a season. If he did, he would have pulled the trigger by now (and he’s now said that both jobs are safe…until the end of the season). Being the worst team (pretty much) in the NHL when expectations were much higher doesn’t exactly ensure job safety. Murray and Clouston will both be replaced, do not doubt that.

9What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I get the impression he wants to stay on as GM. I think he'd leave if the team was doing great but now that it's fallen apart it's wounded his professional pride and he wants to fix it and leave the team on a high (or move to an advisory role).

And yes he really believes too strongly in this lineup, so no wonder he feels let down by the players. His biggest weakness IMO.

Next year will be the best evaluation of Murray, we'll see more of Murray's drafts and signings.

10What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:27 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:I think the hypothetical discussion is, in this case, pretty much pointless.

There is no way Brian Murray will be the GM of this team next year, and anyone that says differently is kidding themselves. There’s a reason he was on a 1-year deal, and it’s clear that he wants out of the GM chair just as much as most fans want him out. He will likely take a different position with the organization and someone else will take the GM position.

Him and Melnyk have had discussions about the teams future. Murray has been told to shed salary and build for the future. Murray can perform this job about as well as any replacement would at this point. Let’s remember that Murray’s strength has been prospects. It’s not exactly rocket-science either. You take the best deals the come in by the tradeline for anyone that isn’t pictured as a part of the team’s future (i.e. older guys, or guys not meeting expectations).

Melnyk quite clearly doesn’t have the stomach to pay another GM or coach to finish up this gong-show of a season. If he did, he would have pulled the trigger by now (and he’s now said that both jobs are safe…until the end of the season). Being the worst team (pretty much) in the NHL when expectations were much higher doesn’t exactly ensure job safety. Murray and Clouston will both be replaced, do not doubt that.

I don't think so Tim. I interpret the article is saying that Murray wants to stay BEYOND this season, which would be a disaster IMHO.

11What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If Murray stays, I'm not watching the games next season.

12What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:19 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Let me throw this out there:

What if Murray goes?

13What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Let me throw this out there:

What if Murray goes?
Stay on topic!

What if Murray stays? Stay-on-target

14What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Big Ev wrote:If Murray stays, I'm not watching the games next season.
Jeffrey Simpson from the Globe and Mail (National Affairs) feels the same... and sent a letter to Cyril saying he would not renew his season tickets if Murray was still the GM and demanded a change of management.

15What if Murray stays? Empty Re: What if Murray stays? Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why would smart people like that be sending inane letters to the Sens organization. Can we not wait until the deadline to see how Murray does there before proclaiming our hate for him?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum