GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Matt Cullen to the sens

+21
asq2
Hockeyhero22000
dennycrane
Urkie
Riprock
garblar
LeCaptain
TheAvatar
TeamRenzo
SensGirl11
Devo
stempniaksen
Hoags
M_Christopher
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
rooneypoo
SensHulk
SensFan71
PTFlea
sens4win
Jordo
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

61Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Ojk this is irrelevant, but Cullen has a 85 rating in the sim on faceoffs, and 67 overall cheers

62Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:36 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Isn't Cullen essentially an older Kelly? I don't like that we have some pretty good lines right now and that is without Cullen and Foligno as mentioned. Where do these guys fit in? More trades must be coming. Maybe a big package of 1-2 roster forwards and 1 defenceman for an impact defenceman?

63Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:37 am

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:
N4L wrote:Because Cullen is a perfect depth guy and can probably be resigned cheap next year. Looks like Lee might be up here to stay now though, hopefully he can get it done.

So glad to see Derek Smith get a look as well, he had an awesome camp and it's time to see if they have a player or just a really good AHLer.

Lee had been looking better in his last tour of duty with the Sens, so lets just pray it's a sign of things to come.

Hopefully Smith will have better luck defensively playing with us.

Personally I wanted to see Kudelka get the call-up.

D. Smith looked very poised in the pre-season. He's not going to wow us with his offence, but he looked pretty steady and solid. Time to see if that was a fluke or not.

He was definitely one of our better D-men in the pre-season. I've been asking for him to get the call all season. Happy he's getting his chance for sure. Lee...well...I have 0 love left for him.

64Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:37 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Excited to see Derek Smith. He's been solid in Bingo. I see this as an audition between Smith and Lee now to stay up with the club when Karlsson gets back.

However, something's gotta give at Forward.

65Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:
Michallica wrote:According to Team 1200, sens have recalled Derek Smith. So no Cowen Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 521674

Smith and Lee called up.....hmmmm

And, given the roster freeze tonight, that call up is gonna cost us even more money against the cap... we're gonna have to pay him and Lee now for the next two weeks.

Given how tight we have to be against the cap right now, I don't know if we'll be able to do anything more than a trade of the "5th rounder for Brookbank" variety in March.

Still, very excited to see D. Smith get a chance, as well as Lee, and to see where Cullen slots in and fits in.

The next 2 weeks count against the cap even if they're not playing?

66Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

We're pretty deep offensively. Now I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2 forwards for 1 defensemen type of swap.

Maybe something like Cheechoo and Shannon for Randy Jones and a pick? I don't really see a need for Shannon with Cullen here now.

67Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Travis Yost (who I'm liking more and more) reports that Campoli is out 4-6 weeks with an MCL injury.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=134

Could be a shaky few weeks on the back end, especially if Karlsson isn't ready to go right after the Olympics.

68Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:40 am

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Maybe we're finally getting that Hamhius we've been hearing so much about Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Icon_cheers

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

69Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:41 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Isn't Cullen essentially an older Kelly? I don't like that we have some pretty good lines right now and that is without Cullen and Foligno as mentioned. Where do these guys fit in? More trades must be coming. Maybe a big package of 1-2 roster forwards and 1 defenceman for an impact defenceman?

Don't think so. Cullen has basically Kovalev/Fisher types of production this year, even on +/- on a -29 team.
Cullen also plays on the point on the PP.

70Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:43 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:
Michallica wrote:According to Team 1200, sens have recalled Derek Smith. So no Cowen Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 521674

Smith and Lee called up.....hmmmm

And, given the roster freeze tonight, that call up is gonna cost us even more money against the cap... we're gonna have to pay him and Lee now for the next two weeks.

Given how tight we have to be against the cap right now, I don't know if we'll be able to do anything more than a trade of the "5th rounder for Brookbank" variety in March.

Still, very excited to see D. Smith get a chance, as well as Lee, and to see where Cullen slots in and fits in.

The next 2 weeks count against the cap even if they're not playing?

Yep. Players get paid by day with the club, not by game. All NHL salaries are paid out on a regular bi-monthly basis (I think) over the course of the season.

That said, Mark just pointed out that the roster freeze doesn't go into effect until sometime Sunday. If it's midnight Sunday, we should be able to have Lee and Smith play the NYI game, and then send them down for 2 weeks to get their salaries off the books. It's getting to the point here that we probably need to do these things to make sure we don't get cap handcuffed.

71Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

No trades after 3 PM today.

Bit of a head scratcher this deal. I like Cullen, don't care for Picard, but is this the deal you make with a 2nd rd. pick when you only have 4 regulars on D? With Campoli out at least one month, you would think Murray is moving at least one forward off of the roster out to add to the blueline.

72Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

With Foligno back and everyone healthy, I assume the scratches would be Donovan, Cheechoo, and Winchester. That also means that the team can only carry 6 d-men.

73Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:06 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

According to tsn and Bob mckenzie the trade freeze starts today at 3 eastern

74Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:08 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Can Cullen play wing? Because I don't want Regin shifting from his centre position. He's way more effective in the middle.

75Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:22 pm

I guess we know who occupies the first speed dial slot on Murray's phone.

I'm not thrilled about giving up a 2nd.

76Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:Travis Yost (who I'm liking more and more) reports that Campoli is out 4-6 weeks with an MCL injury.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=134

Could be a shaky few weeks on the back end, especially if Karlsson isn't ready to go right after the Olympics.

Yeah, I like Yost as well.

77Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:31 pm

Can someone please tell me why we'd delete Cheechoo and Picard to bring in a forward, when we are now down Campoli (Karlsson too, but it's not too long)?

Is this REALLY the deal Murray should have blown his cap-space nut on???

78Matt Cullen to the sens - Page 5 Empty Re: Matt Cullen to the sens Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:31 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

this is what Matt Karash (HBuzz carolina blogger) had to say about Cullen :

As for my 2 cents on Cullen, I think he is a great addition to any playoff team:

1) Quantity of "deep" playoff experience with his name on the Cup and another deep run just last Spring.

2) Incredibly versatile player with wheels. You can put him with some scoring talent and expect something like 50-60-point pace, but he would not at all be out of place on a defense-first checking line.

3) Special teams help. He is a solid penalty killer with speed that leads to shorthanded chances. He is also comfortable (skilled) at playing the point on the power play if you do not have enough offensive defensemen to fill this role.

I'm on board.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum