GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cullen or Spezza?

+18
Tuk Tuk
SensGirl11
asq2
SeawaySensFan
Phoenix30
andyman998
strachattack
SDH89
rooneypoo
LeCaptain
PKC
beerandsens
stempniaksen
PTFlea
Ev
M_Christopher
Riprock
22 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Cullen or Spezza?

Cullen or Spezza? Vote_lcap246%Cullen or Spezza? Vote_rcap2 46% [ 6 ]
Cullen or Spezza? Vote_lcap254%Cullen or Spezza? Vote_rcap2 54% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 13]

1Cullen or Spezza? Empty Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:01 pm

In all seriousness, after that playoff and Spezza's last 3 season, who would you go with? Who's the better player in people's opinions.

2Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Cullen obviously played very well, and I think Spezza's biggest fault was trying too much. It's obvious there's a lot of pressure on him and they place a lot of faith in him. He really did try way too much. He tried to deke through their entire team and it didn't work. I have a hard time faulting him for trying. Yes, it did not work, but he needed to be creative and use his puck skills to try and get through their defence and get people scoring.

Cullen's not young and Ottawa's got a lot of old guys currently under contract and some that are pending FA's. The brightside is Spezza's still young, just finished his first season as being the go to guy, without Heatley and with Aflie battling injury and slowing with age.

And he and Ottawa face a lot of barricades if it comes to trying to trade him - the price tag, the Sens idea of his value and other teams idea of his value.

3Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:13 pm

You should add a poll.

Personally, I'll take Cullen and the assets garnered from a Spezza deal. I am however not willing to go upwards of $3 million per.

4Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Spezza has one goal in his last 15 playoff games. That's about as bad as it gets in terms of number 1 centers in the playoffs right now. That is unexceptable especially when you consider he is still a liability on the ice.

5Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:21 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

You go with Spezza, he's younger still has an abtainable upside.

Cullen is at his best.

In a situation like Ottawa's (read: mid-rebuild on the fly) you don't go older, thats counter-productive.

We have Spezza signed already, and IF we moved him, we're still better off letting the young guys earn the new spot than plug it with another vet.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

6Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:23 pm

I think Cullen is better for a rebuild based on the facts he's a proven winner, has a lot of leadership, and can play in every situation.

I think for The Sens to move forward they need to part with Spezza. He might hit his potential at some point, but it wont be in Ottawa.

7Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:32 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ottawa has got to be careful with handing out contracts to guys who are or are on the verge of 35. Jason Smith's contract could have burned us, and Kovalev's been pretty disappointing, We better not be handing out $3M contracts to Sutton and or Cullen. You want to play here, you take half that, or go elsewhere. The discount is for the chance to make the playoffs,

8Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Cullen is easily worth 3 mil a year. This guy still has wheels, has brains, and is a proven winner. He has been Ottawa's best forward for the better part of 2 months now. He is exactly what this team needs.

9Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'd still rather give an up and comer a chance., even if it is rushing them.

Look at Colorado, a team that was said to go nowhere this year but their rookies have been pleasant surprises to say the least. Duchene, O'Reilly, et al.

Give the kids a chance and they will surprise. The least they do is gain experience.

The team may struggle, but it will benefit them in the long run by saving money.

Regin-Spezza-Michalek
Kovalev-Fisher-Alfredsson
Foligno-Smith-Winchester
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Gryba
Wiercioch-Carkner

Leclaire
Elliott

10Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I, and I think most GM's, would rather have Spezza. Maybe Cullen is more of a playoff guy, but if you had to choose between the two for the future of your team, I don't see how you choose Cullen.

11Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:47 pm

I dont think either guys are the future of The Sens, but I think one guy would be better for the future, and that's Cullen based on a lot of intangibles along with his overall tallent.

Cullen is def a better player then Spezza, I think it showed pretty clearly in this series.

12Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'll take Spezza for his offense and let other players be defensive minded. You don't have to have every one of your players be two-way players to be successful. Cullen is good at his role, mainly a 2nd line centre or 3rd line grinding centre, but he is not an overly offensive guy. I don't know why he had so many points this series, but his highest ever point total in the NHL is 49.

13Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:31 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Both, there's no reason we can't have both, so I want both.

14Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:57 am

Sophomore
Sophomore

Last 3 years and moving forward, I take Spezza

C'mon dude we all know you hate Spezza but seriously Spezza is 6 years younger than Cullen, and over the last 3 years with only 9 games difference, Spezza has 222 points versus Cullens 140. Not to mention a better plus/minus.

Cullen was very good in the playoffs this year for us but, without Spezza we don't even make the playoffs-and thats a fact.

Spezza is far from perfect but when I look at this team 2-3 years from now I see Spezza playing with Regin, Foligno, Fisher, Cowen, Wiercoch, Lehrner, etc., not a 35 year old Cullen.

Cullen is not now, nor will he ever be our first line centre.

And I am asking nicely, can you start talking about something else, this is getting wayyyyyy old....

15Cullen or Spezza? Empty Re: Cullen or Spezza? Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:03 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I know Spezza had a bad playoff, but the fact you think this is even poll worthy is laughable and shows an obvious bias.

Look at past cup winners, all of those teams had arguable two top line centers. The problem isn't that we have Spezza, it's that we don't have anyone to take pressure off of him when guys can key in on him.

I like what Fisher brings to the table, and he is a legit 2nd line center, but he's not a 2nd line center on a championship caliber team. Spezza has had his struggles, but this team needs to surrond that type of talent better, not ship it away.

By the way, the Sens would be without a true #1 center, a true #1 defenceman and a true #1 goalie if you dealt Spezza away. That's a recipe for disaster on it's own, no matter how deep we are.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 13]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum