GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How much do you offer Cullen?

+2
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

What kind of contract would you offer Cullen?

How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_lcap214%How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_rcap2 14% [ 2 ]
How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_lcap20%How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_lcap243%How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_rcap2 43% [ 6 ]
How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_lcap20%How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_lcap243%How much do you offer Cullen? Vote_rcap2 43% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1How much do you offer Cullen? Empty How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So, with Murray's comments coupled with some positive comments from Cullen in the Sun today, I thought this would be a good question to ponder.

Cullen is 33 and starting on the down side of his career. He has proven himself to be a playoff warrior and leader. Murray loves him and so does the membership here from what I can tell. After his performance I think he could really cash in on the open market and, despite his positive comments to the media, he has no ties to Ottawa and probably won't be taking a discount just to stay in a Canadian city IMO.

Basically I think it comes down to whether or not Murray is willing to pay market value for Cullen and therefore overpay by a significant margin. I would love to have him back but I think it will cost us any chance of bringing back Sutton (forget A-Train he's as good as gone).

I've made this as a poll to see what kind deal you'd be willing to give Cullen. Discuss here what you chose and why you think Cullen takes that deal.

- Unknown Author

2How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would offer Cullen the first option of long term with a cap hit of between 3 and 4 million. I truly believe he's worth that. I'm not sure he takes it though but I'd try something like this:

5 years front loaded with a cap hit of 3.5M. Make his most profitable years as the first 3. I would be surprised if anyone offers him 5 years when he'll be 39 by the end of it (He turns 34 in November).

- Unknown Author

3How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:05 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Eleventy-seven Gillion dollars for infinity. How much do you offer Cullen? 95132

4How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:06 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Eleventy-seven Gillion dollars for infinity. How much do you offer Cullen? 95132

Does that fit our Cap structure? Sarcasm

Edit: That's actually a very nice cap hit. Good call SSF. HappyDance1

- Unknown Author

5How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Eleventy-seven Gillion dollars for infinity. How much do you offer Cullen? 95132

Does that fit our Cap structure? How much do you offer Cullen? 159628

Edit: That's actually a very nice cap hit. Good call SSF. How much do you offer Cullen? 226479

Spank you very much!

Seriously, I would try to get a 3 million dollar deal for 3 years and relent if a 4th year was a dealbreaker.

6How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Goodness gracious...no chance I would do 5 years @ 3.5 per year when he's 35, not to mention that that's pushing it for Cullen.

I would say 3.3 X 3, but preferably he's smart enough to realize that a 3 X 3 is quite fair and the extra money can be used to make his team stronger.

So 3 X 3 or Stillman money (3.3 X 3) if he pushes really hard.

7How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:22 am

SpezDispenser wrote:Goodness gracious...no chance I would do 5 years @ 3.5 per year when he's 35, not to mention that that's pushing it for Cullen.

I would say 3.3 X 3, but preferably he's smart enough to realize that a 3 X 3 is quite fair and the extra money can be used to make his team stronger.

Agreed 100%

8How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:24 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Goodness gracious...no chance I would do 5 years @ 3.5 per year when he's 35, not to mention that that's pushing it for Cullen.

Yeah. So a little extra money in lieu of term. Good thinking there.

9How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He's 33.

- Unknown Author

10How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Also offering him what you want to give him and what you think is fair is fine but this thread is about what you think Cullen will take and explaining why he takes it in lieu of going on the open market. Does Cullen take 3 X 3 when he likely gets more in the open market?

- Unknown Author

11How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:He's 33.

Oops, I thought he was 34 turning 35 in November, not 33 turning 34. Still, it's the 3 year term that I can see being the one the Sens want, makes it a little nerve-wracking if he's turning 39 in the final year of his contract. That's getting pretty far up there.

12How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:35 am

4 years at 3-3.5 mil, I would do that no problem. This guy doesnt play a physical game and IMO is a lot like Alfi in the sense the tools he has wont be effect by age, at least not in the time between 33-37.

Cullen is somewhat of a leader, plays in all situation, can play all 3 forward positions, and is a playoff performer. I would spare no cent in signing this guy especially since Ottawa will be working with a cheap blueline for the next 3 or 4 years as well.

You cant pay Kovalev 5 mil a season then say Cullen isnt worth 3 plus. Kovalev comes off the books next year (I still like the Kovalev signing) and there will be a ton of cap space.

Letting Cullen go over an extra year or 1/2 a mil IMO would be a huge mistake. There isnt a line Cullen doesnt fit on or wont make better. He makes the PP and PK better. Simply he makes every facet of The Sens game, better.

Last edited by N4L on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

13How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:35 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Also offering him what you want to give him and what you think is fair is fine but this thread is about what you think Cullen will take and explaining why he takes it in lieu of going on the open market. Does Cullen take 3 X 3 when he likely gets more in the open market?

Yeah, as always, this is the real question.

1.What does Cullen think he can get?

2.Does he want to be here?

Apparently he does want to be here, so that's fantastic. He's worth a solid 3 million, but not too much more, am I wrong? 40ish points a year, great leader, playoff performer, but not a 'star' for marketing etc. 3.3 is the most I'd pay and I LOVE this guy.

You?

14How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Also offering him what you want to give him and what you think is fair is fine but this thread is about what you think Cullen will take and explaining why he takes it in lieu of going on the open market. Does Cullen take 3 X 3 when he likely gets more in the open market?

He makes it seem like it will be a family-oriented decision more than anything. If minor hockey is the priority, I think a longer term and NTC would be the goal.

15How much do you offer Cullen? Empty Re: How much do you offer Cullen? Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:37 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:4 years at 3-3.5 mil, I would do that no problem. This guy doesnt play a physical game and IMO is a lot like Alfi in the sense the tools he has wont be effect by age, at least not in the time between 33-37.

Cullen is somewhat of a leader, plays in all situation, can play all 3 forward positions, and is a playoff performer. I would spare no cent in signing this guy especially since Ottawa will be working with a cheap blueline for the next 3 or 4 years as well.

You cant pay Kovalev 5 mil a season then say Cullen isnt worth 3 plus. Kovalev comes off the books next year (I still like the Kovalev signing) and there will be a ton of cap space.

Letting Cullen go over an extra year or 1/2 a mil IMO would be a huge mistake. There isnt a line Cullen doesnt fit on or wont make better. He makes the PP and PK better. Simply he makes every facet of The Sens game, better.

1st bold = good compromise = sign that contract, good for both sides.

2nd bold = Murray stated that Regin wouldn't be where he is now without Kovalev. So we all know what Kovalev can do on the ice when he wants, but it's the off-ice leadership that's showing now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum