GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senators to make announcement today at 9:30 am

+17
asq2
M_Christopher
LeCaptain
ddt
SensHulk
PTFlea
Hoags
sens4win
Hobiesens
Devo
LethalLehner
SensGirl11
caissie_1
rooneypoo
stempniaksen
SensFan71
PKC
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i though that the picks are dealt on how the teams fared in the playoffs. i could see us getting thru to the second round. SJS... well they could do a repeat of last year.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

btw murray signed a contract extention, so i guess it's only for one more year? does anybody have any idea about this? i couldn't tell from his speech. to be honest i hope it's more. i like how the man drafts.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:i though that the picks are dealt on how the teams fared in the playoffs. i could see us getting thru to the second round. SJS... well they could do a repeat of last year.

What N4L is suggesting is that, yes, the 1st round of the draft is determined by a combo of regular season results and playoff results (see earlier) but all other rounds are determined strictly according to the order to the regular season results, in reverse.

I think he may be right.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:btw murray signed a contract extention, so i guess it's only for one more year? does anybody have any idea about this? i couldn't tell from his speech. to be honest i hope it's more. i like how the man drafts.

One more year. 2 more drafts. He's getting old. He will want to retire at some point. Smile

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Here's the order of draft selection, from last to first:

- Stanley Cup Champion
- Stanley Cup Finalist
- 2 Conference finalists
- Remaining division leaders (could be 1 team, could be 6)
- Teams with the better records through the playoffs
- Non-playoff teams.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:Here's the order of draft selection, from last to first:

- Stanley Cup Champion
- Stanley Cup Finalist
- 2 Conference finalists
- Non-playoff teams.

Yeah, that's the order of the 1st round, I know... but is it the order for every round, or just the first? In other words, is the order of draft selection the same for every round?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

- Stanley Cup Champion
- Stanley Cup Finalist
- 2 Conference finalists
- Non-playoff teams.

Thanks for the info, Marakh. Here's some minor clarifications. The remaining conference finalists (draft positions 27 and 28) are seeded based on their regular season records; same for the remaining divisional leaders.

And here is where the Wikipedia page gets either a little confusing or in conflict with what you said. They mention "wildcard teams" and also say that remaining draft positions through to 15 are determined based on regular season records, not playoff records.

Here, see for yourselves.

The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results. Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then wildcard teams are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.

Anyhow, as convoluted as it seems, I'm pretty sure the later rounds follow the 1st round order (in reverse for even rounds, of course).

SJ has a good chance to win their Division; so do the Sens. Neither one has a good chance to win the Cup, so the difference in draft position could very well be 3-5 spots.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:btw murray signed a contract extention, so i guess it's only for one more year? does anybody have any idea about this? i couldn't tell from his speech. to be honest i hope it's more. i like how the man drafts.

One more year. 2 more drafts. He's getting old. He will want to retire at some point. Smile

well can we keep himas head of recruitment so we can keep drafting the way it is? then we could have someone else as gm do all the rest.
i think he said something about staying on in some other capacity.

rooneypoo wrote:
N4L wrote:I think the 2nd round it just goes from where you placed in the regular season... could be wrong but Im pretty sure 1st round placement is based on the playoffs then after that it's just how you finished in the regualr season... again, not sure.

Huh. Yeah, you may be right on that. When I was thinking it over, I had the first round in mind, unintentionally. The 2nd round and after picks may well be determined by the regular season standings.

That would mean that we have up a 50-54 pick (really depends on how we finish) and kept a 59-60 pick. Anyway you slice it, it's not too big a deal. We still have a 2nd rounder, so we're still going to get a quality player, and the fact that we traded the other suggests we're probably targeting a specific player with that other pick.

wrong and wrong. draft order stays the same as the first round for all rounds.

its ok to be wrong as you were when i pointed it out earlier and here again. dont get your back up as you two are the first to do the same to others. some people are wrong more than others though...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The order stays the same throughout all the rounds as based on the first round. The only differences you will see are from picks that were traded.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I have not been able to find *any* source that specifically outlines a different order for the 1st round versus subsequent rounds. However, taking a close look at the 2007 draft:

The regular season had the Flyers finishing last, but Chicago won the lottery,with the Flyers taking the 2nd overall. In rounds 5 and 7 the Flyers picked first, with no asterisks (meaning pick was not traded for). In round 3 the Isles picked first, with an asterisk (unfortunately the draft notes are not present to support that the Flyers traded that pick to them).

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2007/
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20062007&type=LEA

So it certainly looks like the fancy order shenanigans only apply to the first round.

P.S. I tried the 2009 and 2008 drafts but it looked like the lottery did not affect the top-5/bottom-5, and I wasn't about to try to follow the bouncing ball tracking regular-season versus playoff results.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

- Stanley Cup Champion
- Stanley Cup Finalist
- 2 Conference finalists
- Non-playoff teams.

Thanks for the info, Marakh. Here's some minor clarifications. The remaining conference finalists (draft positions 27 and 28) are seeded based on their regular season records; same for the remaining divisional leaders.

And here is where the Wikipedia page gets either a little confusing or in conflict with what you said. They mention "wildcard teams" and also say that remaining draft positions through to 15 are determined based on regular season records, not playoff records.

Here, see for yourselves.

The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results. Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then wildcard teams are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.

Anyhow, as convoluted as it seems, I'm pretty sure the later rounds follow the 1st round order (in reverse for even rounds, of course).

SJ has a good chance to win their Division; so do the Sens. Neither one has a good chance to win the Cup, so the difference in draft position could very well be 3-5 spots.

You're right, the remaining teams draft depending on the regular season position.

The 2nd and remaining rounds are exactly the same as the 1st round. Watch the order of the last draft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think the lottery changed the order of the top 5 last year. I went back to the 2007 draft and Philly, who finished last but lost the 1st overall to Chicago, was picking 1st in the 5th and 7th rounds; in the 3rd they traded away their pick (which would have been 91).

So from that it would appear that the draft order for the remaining rounds is based on the regular season standings alone.

Unless, of course, this was changed after the 2007 draft.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I don't think the lottery changed the order of the top 5 last year. I went back to the 2007 draft and Philly, who finished last but lost the 1st overall to Chicago, was picking 1st in the 5th and 7th rounds; in the 3rd they traded away their pick (which would have been 91).

So from that it would appear that the draft order for the remaining rounds is based on the regular season standings alone.

Unless, of course, this was changed after the 2007 draft.

Rules probably changed, because in the 2007 draft Carolina drafted last in the later rounds, followed by Detroit (best regular season team?). Edmonton drafted earlier.
Then in 2009 both Stanley cup finalists drafted 29th/30th.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum