GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senators to make announcement today at 9:30 am

+17
asq2
M_Christopher
LeCaptain
ddt
SensHulk
PTFlea
Hoags
sens4win
Hobiesens
Devo
LethalLehner
SensGirl11
caissie_1
rooneypoo
stempniaksen
SensFan71
PKC
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

ddt wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:When I think about MTL trading a 2nd for Dominic Moore, OTT trading its 2nd + a spare part / dead weight / accident waiting to happen looks all the better. So glad we have BM back there calling the shots. Smile

You're referring to Picard as "spare part / dead weight / accident waiting to happen"? I thought you were pretty high on him?

Meh. Campoli surpassed him on the depth chart long ago. Alfie and Kovalev on the points / half-walls has really increased our ability to get the puck to the net on the PP (the one thing I really liked about Picard). He was nothing more than a spare part in OTT for the last 2-3 months, and (when he did get a chance to play) his defensive zone gaffes were alarming, to say the least.

You knew one of Picard or Campoli had to go before the year was out anyway.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

cloverleaf wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Please be SJ's 2nd round pick, please!

The more I think about it, the less it matters. By the end of the regular season, it will probably only be a difference of 4-5 spots, at most.

too bad regular season has pretty much nothing to do with how playoff team draft picks are arranged

LOL. Sure they do. For teams who make the playoffs, draft picks are determined, first, by the playoff round they make it to / exit in, and, second, by regular season standing (in reverse order).

So, 16 teams make the playoffs; 8 get bumped in round 1; 4 in round 2; 2 in round 3; and the SC finalists gets the last 2 picks. So, if SJ finishes 1st in the league, that SJ pick will probably be the last or second last pick in whatever round they get knocked out -- in the first, pick 51/52; in the second, pick 55/56; in the third, pick 57/58; or pick 59/60.

So the highest SJ's pick is gonna be is 51, and the lowest it will be is 60. If the Sens get bumped in round one, the highest their pick will be is something like 18 or 20. If they make it to round 2, tho', that pick will be something like 22-24; and so on.

So, yes, if OTT gets booted out first round and SJ wins the cup, we will have effectively moved down the draft 10-12 spots. If you think about where this team is at right now, and SJ's playoff history, however, there's all kinds of reasons to think that that worse case scenario is pretty far off.

So, yeah... back to my original point: I'm guessing they'll be a 4-5 spot difference in terms of where the OTT pick and SJ pick are in that round -- i.e., OTT wins a round, and SJ doesn't win the cup.

so like i said and you said incorrectly,by the end of the regular season, we will have no clue how close these picks will be unless you make up a huge scenario like you did on how the you think the playoffs will unfold.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cloverleaf wrote:so like i said and you said incorrectly,by the end of the regular season, we will have no clue how close these picks will be unless you make up a huge scenario like you did on how the you think the playoffs will unfold.

Holy semantics batman! All I'm saying is that, hey, the regular season standings DO matter when it comes to determining draft pick positioning, and that I'm pretty confident that there will be a 4-5 spot difference in terms of the position of the OTT 2nd round pick and the position of the SJ 2nd round pick, for all the reasons I just went over. The very worst case scenario -- OTT gets bumped in the first round, SJ wins the cup; the OTT pick becomes 50, the SJ pick becomes 60 -- is pretty unlikely, and it's not going to be too big a deal at any rate.

Dude, look who you are arguing with or having a discussions with, haha. Why do you even bother?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Dude, look who you are arguing with or having a discussions with, haha. Why do you even bother?

Where's the 'hang my head in shame' emoticon? Senators to make announcement today at 9:30 am - Page 6 555492

Ah. Close enough.

Senators to make announcement today at 9:30 am - Page 6 68890

cloverleaf wrote:so like i said and you said incorrectly,by the end of the regular season, we will have no clue how close these picks will be unless you make up a huge scenario like you did on how the you think the playoffs will unfold.
You can't possibly be that much of an ignoramus Senators to make announcement today at 9:30 am - Page 6 484884

What you said is that reg season standings mean nothing.
Rooney simply explained to you how that statement is incorrect.
You come back with this ^ Senators to make announcement today at 9:30 am - Page 6 233319

I am amazed you still have the priviledge, let alone the nerve to post on this site.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Ok, who's giving me -'s for this?!?

Hahaha, who do you think dude, hahaha. Seriously, who cares? Give me all the -'s you want. He's just a moron, man. Put him on ignore like a lot of people or just dont responde.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Murray waited for the team to have an amazing record/atmosphere to actually open talks with Volchenkov's agent. Clever Thinking

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Has it been announced what year the 2nd round pick is? I haven't seen it anywhere. If it's 2011, then this deal has just gotten better.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:Has it been announced what year the 2nd round pick is? I haven't seen it anywhere. If it's 2011, then this deal has just gotten better.

OTT's. 2010. Will turn out to be pick number 50 or higher, if we're lucky. Smile

I think the 2nd round it just goes from where you placed in the regular season... could be wrong but Im pretty sure 1st round placement is based on the playoffs then after that it's just how you finished in the regualr season... again, not sure.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:Has it been announced what year the 2nd round pick is? I haven't seen it anywhere. If it's 2011, then this deal has just gotten better.

OTT's. 2010. Will turn out to be pick number 50 or higher, if we're lucky. Smile

Crap. Oh well. With our scouts, we'll find late gems no problem.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:I think the 2nd round it just goes from where you placed in the regular season... could be wrong but Im pretty sure 1st round placement is based on the playoffs then after that it's just how you finished in the regualr season... again, not sure.

Huh. Yeah, you may be right on that. When I was thinking it over, I had the first round in mind, unintentionally. The 2nd round and after picks may well be determined by the regular season standings.

That would mean that we have up a 50-54 pick (really depends on how we finish) and kept a 59-60 pick. Anyway you slice it, it's not too big a deal. We still have a 2nd rounder, so we're still going to get a quality player, and the fact that we traded the other suggests we're probably targeting a specific player with that other pick.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i though that the picks are dealt on how the teams fared in the playoffs. i could see us getting thru to the second round. SJS... well they could do a repeat of last year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

btw murray signed a contract extention, so i guess it's only for one more year? does anybody have any idea about this? i couldn't tell from his speech. to be honest i hope it's more. i like how the man drafts.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:i though that the picks are dealt on how the teams fared in the playoffs. i could see us getting thru to the second round. SJS... well they could do a repeat of last year.

What N4L is suggesting is that, yes, the 1st round of the draft is determined by a combo of regular season results and playoff results (see earlier) but all other rounds are determined strictly according to the order to the regular season results, in reverse.

I think he may be right.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum