GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fisher a no-go for today's game

+2
asq2
jamvan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:57 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Season starts without Fisher Senators centre says groin injury hasn't healed enough for him to face PensRob Brodie OttawaSenators.com Oct 4, 2008, 6:20 AM EDT
Fisher STOCKHOLM — Finally, it's game on for real for the Ottawa Senators.

But when the Sens hit the ice at the Globe Arena tonight for the first half of their season-opening NHL Premiere series against the Pittsburgh Penguins (2:30 p.m. ET, CBC, Team 1200), they'll have to do it without gritty centre Mike Fisher.

After testing out his sore groin during this morning's pre-game skate, Fisher said he isn't healthy enough yet to suit up against the Penguins. Dean McAmmond or Shean Donovan will draw into the lineup in Fisher's absence but Senators head coach Craig Hartsburg said he'll make that decision closer to game time.

For Fisher, who tweaked the groin on the second shift of Thursday's exhibition game against the Frolunda Indians in Gothenburg, missing out on the season-opener was a bitter pill to swallow. But he knew it was the only realistic decision to make under the circumstances.

"It’s an opening game and I thought I’d be ready and fine," he said. "It was just unfortunate the other night, but I’m sure the guys will be ready to play and they’re going to play hard.

"I just didn’t feel right (with) my stride. When you get in a game, it’s a total, different situation with stops and starts and being strong. I just knew it wasn’t good enough to go to play."

Fisher all but ruled out the prospect of being ready for Sunday's rematch with the Penguins at the Globe (2:30 p.m. ET, CBC, Team 1200), but hopes the five-day break that follows will give him a chance to be in the lineup against the Detroit Red Wings on Oct. 11 at Scotiabank Place.

"Not the way I felt today," Fisher said when asked about the chances of him being in the game on Sunday. "We’ll see what happens ... I can’t go the way I need to go to help. I’ve just got to get healthy and make sure I take of it. Hopefully, I can get back soon."

Hartsburg agreed it's best to take the cautious route so early in the season.

"It would be nice to have (Fisher) in the lineup but other people will step up and do the job for us," he said. "We certainly want to make sure he’s healthy. He’s an important part of our team and I don’t want to have something long-term with him."

The injury aside, Hartsburg said his team is eager and primed to face off against the team that ended the Senators' 2007-08 season with a first-round playoff sweep.

"They seem very excited about playing tonight," said Hartsburg. "They’ve put a lot of work into it the last two weeks (during training camp). They’re ready to play."

2Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Re: Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:13 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Let him rest for a week or so.

3Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Re: Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:18 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:Let him rest for a week or so.
He had all summer to get healthy, but didn't do the work. He's had numerous groin problems and injuries altogether, that don't seem to be going away. We don't have many top 6 forwards, we can't afford to be without him for numerous games all year. Good thing Sykora is missing for the Pens, it will even things out.

4Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Re: Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:59 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

Not a very good start...

5Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Re: Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Not a good game for Gerber.... for those who said Khabi wasn't an upgrade, you might want to reconsider.

6Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Re: Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:28 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Not a good game for Gerber.... for those who said Khabi wasn't an upgrade, you might want to reconsider.

I agee. Lets hope Auld starts tomorrow.

7Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Re: Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Or neither.... no but Auld is alright, played pretty well for Boston on occasion.

I thought Ottawa played well though - physically dominating.... a little undisciplined or maybe the refs were too tight.... but they killed off all the PP's. They were a little too loose with the puck, too many turnovers.

Spezza's turnover didn't help, but it was a bad goal for Gerber... and 3 of the 4 were soft goals.

Foligno played strong, as did Neil and Ruutu. Vermette was buzzing but didn't contribute unfortunately. And Heatley, Spezza and Alfie were excellent.

8Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Re: Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:59 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DashRiprock wrote:Or neither.... no but Auld is alright, played pretty well for Boston on occasion.

I thought Ottawa played well though - physically dominating.... a little undisciplined or maybe the refs were too tight.... but they killed off all the PP's. They were a little too loose with the puck, too many turnovers.

Spezza's turnover didn't help, but it was a bad goal for Gerber... and 3 of the 4 were soft goals.

Foligno played strong, as did Neil and Ruutu. Vermette was buzzing but didn't contribute unfortunately. And Heatley, Spezza and Alfie were excellent.

Heck, I'd argue even Malkin's was easily stoppable. Very weak shot, paddle on the ice would've stopped it.

Alfie was not excellent, and he'd be the first to say it. He was on for three of the goals, and seemed to be missing a step. I'll guess he was out late with friends and family, and will get a better night's sleep tonight.

I didn't see the first, but the reffing in the second was close to brutal. Lots and lots of holding/hooking by the Pens was left uncalled. Ruutu got slashed pretty bad. A-Train hot a stick in the face. Crosby elbowed Kelly when he tried to check him into the boards. And that call on Phillips! Wow, a ref should get fined for that. The other ref is standing two feet away, looking directly at the play, and donut-boy calls it all the way from the blue line, looking through a maze of players.

9Fisher a no-go for today's game Empty Re: Fisher a no-go for today's game Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:06 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Problem is that when a game is poorly called, generally it is crappy for both teams. The loser will whine, the winner wipes his brow and knows he got away with a few.

Ottawa should have won that game - three, maybe four soft goals; a couple of ill-timed turnovers (not just Spezza's at the end); a few pinches that shouldn't have happened (Picard, Schubert); and way too many shots not taken or missing the net.

30 shots against - with the defence we have, it shouldn't have been much more than 20. With the goaltending we have, it can't be much more than that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum