GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

ALL Spezza talk - to trade, not to trade, rant, rave etc.

+35
NEELY
stempniaksen
Tuk Tuk
M_Christopher
BigRig
Urkie
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
strachattack
sens4win
garblar
ddt
Vandelay
jamvan
SDH89
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
beedub
beerandsens
shabbs
wprager
Riprock
Sens19
LeCaptain
TeamRenzo
SensGirl11
Flo The Action
Devo
rooneypoo
PKC
asq2
SensHulk
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 51 ... 68  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 68]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Urkie wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:If I'm willing to settle for guys who don't score but are lauded for doing "other things" then yeah, I'll settle for scoring from a guy who's paid to score.

Too bad he hasn't produced like the Spezza of 2005-2007 for two full calendar years now. The issue is NOT paying money for offensive production, which we can all agree comes with a hefty price tag (rightly or wrongly), but paying money for offensive production and NOT getting it. And the fact is, we haven't been getting it like we should from Spezza for 2 years now.

I happen to agree with SD here. The entire team sucked for 2 years. Heck, I don't think Sidney Crosby could have done that well here the last 2 years. The facts are, the goaltending blew, the defense blew and the coaches blew. You can't deny those facts unless you've been living in a shell these last 2 years. It's hard for any player to excel with those factors going on in the background.

And we all hate Heatley but those factors are why I think he wanted out. He didn't think this team could win.

Sidney Crosby walked into a bigger disaster than we ever had here when he joined PIT, and he still managed to put up enormous numbers. Exact same for Ovechkin when he joined WAS. Kovalchuk has put up great numbers playing on a Dung team for years, too. And the list goes on and on. Elite players produce, no matter what's going on around them. You'd have to be living under a rock for your entire life not to notice this.

So, why is Spezza the exception? Or rather, why is it that the fact that Spezza IS the exception not stick out or bother anyone else, or at least raise alarm bells?

I don't think theres a comparison between Crosby/Ovechkin and Spezza-maybe that's where the debate comes from. Do you really think the three of them are on the same level? the first two are captains, make almost 9 million a year and are superstars. Spezza is a very good first line centre. If you think they are on the same level, it puts your arguments in perspective.

Dude, YOU brought up the Crosby comparison! ALL Spezza talk - to trade, not to trade, rant, rave etc. - Page 34 270956

And no, I absolutely do NOT put Crosby and Spezza on the same level. But they are paid pretty close to the same amount. What $1.7 mil to players on multi-million dollar per year deals?

Last edited by rooneypoo on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sophomore
Sophomore

Spezza is our first line centre and makes 7 million a year because-he is a first line centre and thats what he would recieve if he was UFA.

I really don't understand the question.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:Spezza is our first line centre and makes 7 million a year because-he is a first line centre and thats what he would recieve if he was UFA.

I really don't understand the question.

And this is the argument for keeping him, and for saying that he is indeed a $7 mil player? By that logic, every player on every deal in the NHL is worth their contract, because that's what they were paid.

I have no question for you. ALL Spezza talk - to trade, not to trade, rant, rave etc. - Page 34 105237

Sophomore
Sophomore

rooneypoo wrote:
111519 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Urkie wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:If I'm willing to settle for guys who don't score but are lauded for doing "other things" then yeah, I'll settle for scoring from a guy who's paid to score.

Too bad he hasn't produced like the Spezza of 2005-2007 for two full calendar years now. The issue is NOT paying money for offensive production, which we can all agree comes with a hefty price tag (rightly or wrongly), but paying money for offensive production and NOT getting it. And the fact is, we haven't been getting it like we should from Spezza for 2 years now.

I happen to agree with SD here. The entire team sucked for 2 years. Heck, I don't think Sidney Crosby could have done that well here the last 2 years. The facts are, the goaltending blew, the defense blew and the coaches blew. You can't deny those facts unless you've been living in a shell these last 2 years. It's hard for any player to excel with those factors going on in the background.

And we all hate Heatley but those factors are why I think he wanted out. He didn't think this team could win.

Sidney Crosby walked into a bigger disaster than we ever had here when he joined PIT, and he still managed to put up enormous numbers. Exact same for Ovechkin when he joined WAS. Kovalchuk has put up great numbers playing on a Dung team for years, too. And the list goes on and on. Elite players produce, no matter what's going on around them. You'd have to be living under a rock for your entire life not to notice this.

So, why is Spezza the exception? Or rather, why is it that the fact that Spezza IS the exception not stick out or bother anyone else, or at least raise alarm bells?

I don't think theres a comparison between Crosby/Ovechkin and Spezza-maybe that's where the debate comes from. Do you really think the three of them are on the same level? the first two are captains, make almost 9 million a year and are superstars. Spezza is a very good first line centre. If you think they are on the same level, it puts your arguments in perspective.

Dude, YOU brought up the Crosby comparison! ALL Spezza talk - to trade, not to trade, rant, rave etc. - Page 34 270956

And no, I absolutely do NOT put Crosby and Spezza on the same level. But they are paid pretty close to the same amount. What $1.7 mil to players on multi-million dollar per year deals?

I brought up a Crosby comparison? don't think so, not recently anyways.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

rooneypoo wrote:Sidney Crosby walked into a bigger disaster than we ever had here when he joined PIT, and he still managed to put up enormous numbers. Exact same for Ovechkin when he joined WAS. Kovalchuk has put up great numbers playing on a Dung team for years, too. And the list goes on and on. Elite players produce, no matter what's going on around them. You'd have to be living under a rock for your entire life not to notice this.

Spezza produced through the horrible second half of that miserable 07/08 season. Hartsburg comes the next year and the offensive production drops off for everybody, including Alfie's. I don't think that's a coincidence.

This year he started the year off very well but seemed to start struggling after he missed a couple games with an undisclosed injury (likely his back). He's healthy now and I don't think it's a coincidence that he's playing his best hockey right now because he is healthy.

Sophomore
Sophomore

rooneypoo, just a question,

if Spezza was an UFA this summer, where do you think he would end up and what do you think he would get paid.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:

I brought up a Crosby comparison? don't think so, not recently anyways.

You said:

"I happen to agree with SD here. The entire team sucked for 2 years. Heck,
I don't think Sidney Crosby could have done that well here the last 2
years. The facts are, the goaltending blew, the defense blew and the
coaches blew."

In reply, I said:

"Sidney Crosby walked into a bigger disaster than we ever had here when
he joined PIT, and he still managed to put up enormous numbers. Exact
same for Ovechkin when he joined WAS. Kovalchuk has put up great
numbers playing on a Dung team for years, too. And the list goes on and
on. Elite players produce, no matter what's going on around them. You'd
have to be living under a rock for your entire life not to notice this.

So,
why is Spezza the exception? Or rather, why is it that the fact that
Spezza IS the exception not stick out or bother anyone else, or at
least raise alarm bells?"

Sound familiar yet?

Sophomore
Sophomore

no, where was that from?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:That is SUCH a dishonest turn in reasoning, SD. I'm embarrassed for you.

What, we're looking to Phillips, Gerber, Kelly, and Neil to be our primary offense now, like we do Spezza? We play these guys on the #1 line, surround them with the team's best talent, and give them #1 PP time? Hell no! These are all defensive players you're picking on (except Gerber, but there's no defending him or his contract, as you say). You don't measure these guys' contributions in offensive production, plain and simple, and it's dishonest of you to suggest so.

What's more, yes, Phillips has always lived up to his contract, then and now. Same with Neil, then and now. Fisher and Kelly had rough years last year, and EVERYONE noted it, often with extreme displeasure. Thing is, they've recovered nicely -- but what about Spezza?

This ISN'T about offensive production, and you know it. This is about the game Spezza plays, plain and simple. SSF said "I'm willing to settle for that kind of game if he produces." Then I said, "well, look, he ain't been producing." If the argument is, "we must keep Spezza because offense wins games, and he provides it" -- and, for the record, I personally would NEVER make a guy's stats the main basis of an argument as to why this or that player is essential to the team -- well then that argument doesn't hold a lot of water, now does it?

Don't twist things out of context here.

BS Rooney. Before we were saddled with Paddock and Hartsburg, Spezza was one of the top play-making centers in the league. He brought fear to every opponent we faced, and while he still made turnovers, he was incredibly adept at taking pucks back and then setting up Heatley or Alfredsson for goals. For the first time since Bryan Murray we have a real coach here - and unfortunately Spezza's been injured for 20 games of it and never really got going one way or the other. Actually, he probably went the wrong way, whether he was trying too hard or whether it was because his back is in deep trouble, no one really knows. He comes back and exhibits the kind of play that we've been waiting for for a long, long time. If you're not seeing a glimpse of the player he was before his back issues flared up, then I would suggest that you, like Neely, seem to have a pre-determined dislike for him. Which is fine, I don't really care who likes Spezza and who doesn't, but as long as he's producing at this rate, I find no reason, nor can I forecast any reason, why he would stop.

What do you have to say about Heatley? He has his worst professional season in history here last year, then goes to SJ and is in the running for the Rocket. Is that coincidence? No.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

111519 wrote:rooneypoo, just a question,

if Spezza was an UFA this summer, where do you think he would end up and what do you think he would get paid.

He would still get the same amount or maybe even more. Look how much Carolina paid Staal (8.25). That would be Spezza's comparison if he was going into negotiations.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:rooneypoo, just a question,

Not sure it's a fair or relevant question. He isn't a UFA. He never was a UFA. He was drafted here and signed and re-signed here.

Are there a few team out there who would give him about the same amount of money that he's making right now? Sure, probably. Maybe a little less, say, in the $6 mil range, given his numbers over the last two year. There's no way to answer this, tho'. Glen Sather gave Drury and Redden $7 mil and $6.5 mil, respectively. There's no way to anticipate what stupid GMs on desperate teams will do. And what they do in no way reflects on what we do with Spezza.

Hey, if you wanna argue Spezza's contract is better than Gomez's, Drury, and Redden's -- no argument from me here. The thing is, those deals being bad doesn't make Spezza's good.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:no, where was that from?

Oops. That was Urkie. My bad, and apologies on that one.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

That's so incredibly unfair I have to laugh. Name me one player of Crosby or Ovechkin's caliber who are sauntering onto the free agent market. Kovalchuk? That'll be 10+ million apparently and he'll likely be signed before July 1.

Okay Rooney, I'll bite. I'll take Crosby or Ovechkin over Spezza. Can you make that happen?

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

111519 wrote:no, where was that from?

That was me. Trying to make a point about how bad the team was last year and the last half of the 07/08 season. I still don't think Crosby could have done a whole lot better then Spezza did. Not under Hartsburg at least, the worst coach probably ever.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Clearly we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one

debate is healthy and in the end, we are all SENS fans

so, is it 11 tonight? Vancouver will be a tough one!

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:That's so incredibly unfair I have to laugh. Name me one player of Crosby or Ovechkin's caliber who are sauntering onto the free agent market. Kovalchuk? That'll be 10+ million apparently and he'll likely be signed before July 1.

Okay Rooney, I'll bite. I'll take Crosby or Ovechkin over Spezza. Can you make that happen?

I'd take any of those guys over Spezza too but the fact is that those players just aren't available.

I don't think Rooney should take the heat for that comparison either. I brought it up to make a point about how I don't think that those great players could have done a whole lot better here. Would they have done better? Yes, but their production would have even dipped under Hartsburg.

As you brought up, Heatley is the perfect example. Last year he struggled, this year he could win the Rocket Richard.

Last edited by Urkie on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:That is SUCH a dishonest turn in reasoning, SD. I'm embarrassed for you.

What, we're looking to Phillips, Gerber, Kelly, and Neil to be our primary offense now, like we do Spezza? We play these guys on the #1 line, surround them with the team's best talent, and give them #1 PP time? Hell no! These are all defensive players you're picking on (except Gerber, but there's no defending him or his contract, as you say). You don't measure these guys' contributions in offensive production, plain and simple, and it's dishonest of you to suggest so.

What's more, yes, Phillips has always lived up to his contract, then and now. Same with Neil, then and now. Fisher and Kelly had rough years last year, and EVERYONE noted it, often with extreme displeasure. Thing is, they've recovered nicely -- but what about Spezza?

This ISN'T about offensive production, and you know it. This is about the game Spezza plays, plain and simple. SSF said "I'm willing to settle for that kind of game if he produces." Then I said, "well, look, he ain't been producing." If the argument is, "we must keep Spezza because offense wins games, and he provides it" -- and, for the record, I personally would NEVER make a guy's stats the main basis of an argument as to why this or that player is essential to the team -- well then that argument doesn't hold a lot of water, now does it?

Don't twist things out of context here.

BS Rooney. Before we were saddled with Paddock and Hartsburg, Spezza was one of the top play-making centers in the league. He brought fear to every opponent we faced, and while he still made turnovers, he was incredibly adept at taking pucks back and then setting up Heatley or Alfredsson for goals. For the first time since Bryan Murray we have a real coach here - and unfortunately Spezza's been injured for 20 games of it and never really got going one way or the other. Actually, he probably went the wrong way, whether he was trying too hard or whether it was because his back is in deep trouble, no one really knows. He comes back and exhibits the kind of play that we've been waiting for for a long, long time. If you're not seeing a glimpse of the player he was before his back issues flared up, then I would suggest that you, like Neely, seem to have a pre-determined dislike for him. Which is fine, I don't really care who likes Spezza and who doesn't, but as long as he's producing at this rate, I find no reason, nor can I forecast any reason, why he would stop.

What do you have to say about Heatley? He has his worst professional season in history here last year, then goes to SJ and is in the running for the Rocket. Is that coincidence? No.

Yes, now it's his back issues, my personal hate of him, and my inability to see what he's done the last five games.

You do remember how there's absolutely no documentation anywhere saying that his back was injured this year? and how I defended Spezza till I was blue in the face for two years, against Neely? and how I've said, repeatedly, that Spezza HAS played great over the last five games, but the issue is that that's what we need to see from him, game in and game out, for a long time to come?

How can you not see how you're letting emotion, not reason, dictate your response? I have nothing personal against Spezza. I have long defended him. And I will defend him if he can just do what he's doing now, consistently. He's given us all so much reason to doubt he can, tho'.

As to the rest of this post, it doesn't address the issue I brought up at all, which was that your previous post was totally off-base in it's "Phillips and Neil are putting up a PPG, either" position.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Urkie wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:That's so incredibly unfair I have to laugh. Name me one player of Crosby or Ovechkin's caliber who are sauntering onto the free agent market. Kovalchuk? That'll be 10+ million apparently and he'll likely be signed before July 1.

I'd take any of those guys over Spezza too but the fact is that those players just aren't available.

I don't think Rooney should take the heat for that comparison either. I brought it up to make a point about how I don't think that those great players could have done a whole lot better. Would they have done better? Yes, but there production would have even dipped under Hartsburg.

As you brought up, Heatley is the perfect example. Last year he struggled, this year he could win the Rocket Richard.

I can't tell you how sick that makes me-what a dirt bag.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 68]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 51 ... 68  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum