GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do You Trade Jason Spezza?

+14
Acrobat
asq2
PTFlea
TheAvatar
TeamRenzo
Riprock
Laker
SeawaySensFan
beedub
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Jordo
davetherave
dennycrane
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do You Trade Jason Spezza?

Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Vote_lcap223%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Vote_rcap2 23% [ 5 ]
Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Vote_lcap241%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Vote_rcap2 41% [ 9 ]
Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Vote_lcap236%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Vote_rcap2 36% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:20 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

We can debate what Spezza is worth, but for the sake of argument, the package coming back in a deal is one that fills multiple needs for the Senators. Remember, Spezza has a NTC that kicks in July 1, 2009.

My Rationale:
I think the harsh reality is that the Senators HAVE to trade Spezza. The cap is expected to remain the same for next year. In the 2010-2011 season, the cap is expected to drop significantly. For 2010-2011, the Senators have a cap hit of 30.5 million dollars, covering seven players and one buyout. This leaves 20 million at the most to sign 14 more players.
Other big contracts (Fisher, Alfie, Heatley, Phillips) are limited by NMC's. These players are under contract in 2010. I thought about moving Fisher when his NMC is up, but there is going to be an overwhelming amount of teams looking to dump contracts over the next sixteen months. Fisher might be difficult to move.
Spezza, though talented, is obviously frustrating with his inconsistency. I think there are teams out there that could provide the Sens with enough young talent to make trading Spezza a plausible scenario.

2Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:27 am

I partially agree with this. Certainly the logic makes sense, but before I move Spezza, I try to move Heatley. He's older, and quite frankly, less talented than Spezza.

3Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:17 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Jason Spezza, a gifted individual player, has become a luxury the Senators can no longer afford.

4Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:27 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Not without alot of thought. It would have to be a really good deal coming back- given the rarity of #1 centres in this league. I'm thinking an offer starts with a 3-4m (talent wise) roster player, a #1 pick, and some high prospects (or one really good one).

But you have to restructure your team to accomodate for the loss. You better balance your scoring attack ont he first two lines.

5Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:32 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

As much as I hate to say it, and my father in law said it too, Spezza's stay in Ottawa is done, he needs to move on and so does the team, but we need to make sure we get the maximum return for this guy or even completely fleece another team for him, look what Hossa got, I am pretty certain I am not wrong in saying that Spezza should get more than that based on the fact he is younger and more talented, the contract might be a huge hinderance though.

6Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:57 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I said keep him. #1 centres are a commodity in this league, and we have one that's tall, gifted and can be absolutely brilliant. On top of that, he signed for six years, he wants to be here. He's made the commitment to the team. He needs to still mature a little, but he only turns 26 this year, and this is the first time since his first (full) NHL season that he hasn't been a point per game.

I think we are all a bit scared because of our history with Redden that if Murray or a future GM decides he wants to move a player with a NTC that we won't be able to. But really, how many times in has someone actually said no when it has been publicly expressed they want him out of the organization?

7Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:00 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:I said keep him. #1 centres are a commodity in this league, and we have one that's tall, gifted and can be absolutely brilliant. On top of that, he signed for six years, he wants to be here. He's made the commitment to the team. He needs to still mature a little, but he only turns 26 this year, and this is the first time since his first (full) NHL season that he hasn't been a point per game.

I think we are all a bit scared because of our history with Redden that if Murray or a future GM decides he wants to move a player with a NTC that we won't be able to. But really, how many times in has someone actually said no when it has been publicly expressed they want him out of the organization?

See Tomas Kaberle last year when Toronto had the deal worked out in principal with Philly for Jeff Carter +, he said no, Toronto gets no Jeff Carter. He probably would have sucked as soon as he put on the Blue and White anyway, it's usually contagious.

8Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:31 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I have been one of the regular people who call from Spezza to be traded, a view I have taken much heat for over the last few months.

I stand by it. Not because he is not a tremendous player, as he is. I saw him up close at the skills competition, and he was practising his snap shop. It was so wicked fast, it was crazy.

I have two reasons for Ottawa needing to trade him. Yes, I say 'need'.

1. He represents a cap hit right up until the end of the 2014-2015 season of $7 million dollars. With the cap sure to shrink in the next few years, and with the possibility of teams imposing self-imposed caps, huge contracts will be limited per team.

2. I do not see him ever attaining his potential IN OTTAWA. But other teams I am sure will believe that they will extract his true value. so will offer a kings ransom for his services. And the window to trade him effortlessly is rapidly closing.

Draft day Deal.

9Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:44 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

draft day might be the best return we get on spezza, and after July 1st, he has his NTC, so he could handcuff us. Watching Spezza though in the 3rd, makes it really hard to trade him sometimes, wish he would have shot rather than pass when he undressed that defenseman from SJ.

10Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:47 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Financial resources have to be re-allocated. One of the Big 4 mustbe traded.

11Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:54 am

Trade him at the draft. I think ATL is the place to go, they need to keep Kovalchuk happy and I want Hedman with their pick. I was wavering between Heatley and Spezza, but it seems that Heatley has responded to better to the coach's tactics of reducing ice-time and PP time.

12Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:54 am

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

SeawaySensFan wrote:Financial resources have to be re-allocated. One of the Big 4 mustbe traded.

That's the only reason I'm on the fence with this one. Spezza is a top talent and few can match his skills. When the team is going he will be putting up big numbers.

I just can't see how a team can afford 4 high paid forwards going forward. The financial resources need to allow for a top line defenseman so Spezza may have to go.

13Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:13 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:I said keep him. #1 centres are a commodity in this league, and we have one that's tall, gifted and can be absolutely brilliant. On top of that, he signed for six years, he wants to be here. He's made the commitment to the team. He needs to still mature a little, but he only turns 26 this year, and this is the first time since his first (full) NHL season that he hasn't been a point per game.

See Tomas Kaberle last year when Toronto had the deal worked out in principal with Philly for Jeff Carter +, he said no, Toronto gets no Jeff Carter. He probably would have sucked as soon as he put on the Blue and White anyway, it's usually contagious.

I don't remember that, was it reported that he wouldn't waive his NTC from a reputable source or just internet hearsay???

And for all those that chose not to waive it, there are those that have. I'm not going to bring up Boyle cause he was muscled into it, but didn't Visnovsky have one, Aucoin had one, i believe Tanguay had one. It's by no means guaranteed that someone will waive it, but I do not see how someone wouldn't if the media, the team, and the fans came down on them.

On a side note, I found something of interest in the CBA. The following excerpt was taken from NHLSCAP.com:

" If the
player is
traded or claimed on
Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the
clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to
continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause"

14Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:16 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:draft day might be the best return we get on spezza, and after July 1st, he has his NTC, so he could handcuff us. Watching Spezza though in the 3rd, makes it really hard to trade him sometimes, wish he would have shot rather than pass when he undressed that defenseman from SJ.

If we were to trade Spezza, I believe the best, yet more risky return would be at the deadline. I say more risky because I believe we would get a 1st rounder, but there is no knowing where it would fall. If we traded him on draft day, people wouldn't be trying to pad their rosters for the playoffs, which would decrease return slightly, but we would be certain of the draft pick we are getting back.

15Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:19 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I would trade him if we got the Vinny Lecavalier package for him, which I have heard could be either:

- Higgins, Gorges, Plekanec, Subban, 2009 1st, 2010 first

or

- A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, 2009 first

So if we got two good players and a couple of picks/prospects, then I'm tempted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum