GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do You Trade Jason Spezza?

+14
Acrobat
asq2
PTFlea
TheAvatar
TeamRenzo
Riprock
Laker
SeawaySensFan
beedub
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Jordo
davetherave
dennycrane
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do You Trade Jason Spezza?

Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Vote_lcap223%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 5 ]
Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Vote_lcap241%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 41% [ 9 ]
Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Vote_lcap236%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 36% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:04 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TeamRenzo wrote:I would trade Spezza only if the deal is right, I don't think I would actively "shop" Spezza.

This. So what do I vote? No?

32Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:30 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
TeamRenzo wrote:I would trade Spezza only if the deal is right, I don't think I would actively "shop" Spezza.

This. So what do I vote? No?

you ummm, uh, none of the above?

33Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:53 am

The last thing this team wants is Jason Spezza to be in control of his career, and basically this team. This team cannot handcuff its self with all those NTC's, especially with a guy that they have no clue if he can actually handle being or even wanting to be the guy.

This team cannot afford to wait for this guy to mature, because like it or not, this team has played better and been in more games when Spezza's ice is taken away.

"Who will replace Spezza as the number 1 center?" It doesnt matter, you can put Vermette up the middle and he will get you 50, 60 points with Heatley and Alfi, on top of that, you get a 100% effort with the ability to play in every situation.

This team would be better without Spezza, his points might not be able to be replacec completly, but the team will be harder working, harder to play against, and more responsible. Ottawa doesnt need Spezza, Spezza needs Ottawa, and if/when he gets dealt and barried in a non hockey market, it will be the last we hear of him. He may go on to put up 100 points a couple seasons, no reason he wouldnt, but he will not win more than a playoff round if he ever leaves Ottawa, IMO. I'll put serious cash on that.

34Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Neely4Life wrote:The last thing this team wants is Jason Spezza to be in control of his career, and basically this team. This team cannot handcuff its self with all those NTC's, especially with a guy that they have no clue if he can actually handle being or even wanting to be the guy.

This team cannot afford to wait for this guy to mature, because like it or not, this team has played better and been in more games when Spezza's ice is taken away.

"Who will replace Spezza as the number 1 center?" It doesnt matter, you can put Vermette up the middle and he will get you 50, 60 points with Heatley and Alfi, on top of that, you get a 100% effort with the ability to play in every situation.

This team would be better without Spezza, his points might not be able to be replacec completly, but the team will be harder working, harder to play against, and more responsible. Ottawa doesnt need Spezza, Spezza needs Ottawa, and if/when he gets dealt and barried in a non hockey market, it will be the last we hear of him. He may go on to put up 100 points a couple seasons, no reason he wouldnt, but he will not win more than a playoff round if he ever leaves Ottawa, IMO. I'll put serious cash on that.

I am shocked that you came out on this side of the issue. Smile

35Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:18 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:The last thing this team wants is Jason Spezza to be in control of his career, and basically this team. This team cannot handcuff its self with all those NTC's, especially with a guy that they have no clue if he can actually handle being or even wanting to be the guy.

you made a funny right, like borat with the "not" jokes? lol.

36Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:33 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:

It was close though!

37Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:30 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Neely4Life wrote:

It was close though!

Only to support your argument. I think Vermette is more like a 60-70 point guy in that role with the opening on the PP. He already scored 53 without these advantages.

38Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:43 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I've been pretty vocal about this, so this is probably as surprising as Neely saying yes.

No.

Not while his value is low, not while we don't have anything resembling a number 1 centre, not when Heatley could get us more and is older, not when he has the ability to be as good as he can be. Plus, dealing a guy in the first year of contract makes you look terrible.

Keep him one more year. Make or break. If he breaks, deal him. But the potential pay-off of the "make" is so much higher.

I doubt Spezza would hold this team hostage with his NTC.

39Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:01 pm

If he does stick to his guns and wants to stay in his brand new 9 million dollar home?

40Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:I doubt Spezza would hold this team hostage with his NTC.

While it is a huge hit on the team's and GM's reputation to trade someone in the first year of their long-term contract, especially when they are supposed to be a franchise player, are you willing to bet the future of the team on a players whim? Or worse, his wife's? (Pronger comes to mind...)

I think that our experience with Redden, and Toronto's experience with Sundin should serve as warning enough.

Spezza is a rare talent, and it will hurt the team to lose that, but financially, and probably for character/chemistry reasons, one of the big contracts have to go. His is the easiest to move quickly. (Having said that, if Heatley waives, I'd vote for him going first.)

As an aside - nobody has commented on the clause that was brought up previously re: the NTC perhaps not applying to the acquiring team if it hasn't come into force prior to the trade. Anyone have more info?

41Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:29 pm

I think it's BS, if it is in the contract, it is in the contract.

42Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:56 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Here's a lightning bolt that just came to me.

As Spezza gets closer to his NTC, I'd consider that Murray's leverage (trade value) drops as he can be squeezed against that date. I'm thinking the time to get value may be NOW!

Anyone?

43Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:04 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

IMHO this thread could be titled "Is it even possible to trade Jason Spezza?"

44Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:15 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:Here's a lightning bolt that just came to me.

As Spezza gets closer to his NTC, I'd consider that Murray's leverage (trade value) drops as he can be squeezed against that date. I'm thinking the time to get value may be NOW!

Anyone?
wrong. His value is lower than its been in - well - maybe ever. If you trade him, its done at the draft. And this so-called "leverage" you speak of is irrelevant. That would only matter if Murray wanted to get rid of him. If anything, any team with less and less time to acquire him would be overpaying as the "deadline" (not the trade deadline) approaches.

I have to admit, though; the more time's I read asq reject the idea of trading him, the more I agree with him. I've bounced back and forth on this topicso many times, I'm just going to abstain from judgment.

45Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:21 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

If the Senators haven't dealt Spezza yet, ask yourself if it isn't because no one wants to take on his $32MM deal when there are so many questions about Jason's ability to be a 'team guy'.

The other GMs know what is said about Spezza. If he was that desirable, Bryan Murray's phone would be ringing off the hook, as it were.

Just because Spezza's one of the highest paid centers in the league doesn't mean other GMs think he's one of the best.

Bryan Murray wanted to 'lock him up'...he may get what he wished for.

46Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:29 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It makes sense. I think we all have some valid points without knowing for sure where this goes, including me.

47Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Acrobat wrote:
asq2 wrote:I doubt Spezza would hold this team hostage with his NTC.

While it is a huge hit on the team's and GM's reputation to trade someone in the first year of their long-term contract, especially when they are supposed to be a franchise player, are you willing to bet the future of the team on a players whim? Or worse, his wife's? (Pronger comes to mind...)

I think that our experience with Redden, and Toronto's experience with Sundin should serve as warning enough.

Spezza is a rare talent, and it will hurt the team to lose that, but financially, and probably for character/chemistry reasons, one of the big contracts have to go. His is the easiest to move quickly. (Having said that, if Heatley waives, I'd vote for him going first.)

As an aside - nobody has commented on the clause that was brought up previously re: the NTC perhaps not applying to the acquiring team if it hasn't come into force prior to the trade. Anyone have more info?

It's article 11.8.a. whereby the latter half says:

"If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof."

Pretty crazy rule.

48Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:If the Senators haven't dealt Spezza yet, ask yourself if it isn't because no one wants to take on his $32MM deal when there are so many questions about Jason's ability to be a 'team guy'.

The other GMs know what is said about Spezza. If he was that desirable, Bryan Murray's phone would be ringing off the hook, as it were.

Just because Spezza's one of the highest paid centers in the league doesn't mean other GMs think he's one of the best.

Bryan Murray wanted to 'lock him up'...he may get what he wished for.

Nah. It means he hasn't gotten the crazy offers he's looking for. Wait for the deadline - but this is one guy who'd kinda rather see him in Sens colours.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum