GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do You Trade Jason Spezza?

+14
Acrobat
asq2
PTFlea
TheAvatar
TeamRenzo
Riprock
Laker
SeawaySensFan
beedub
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Jordo
davetherave
dennycrane
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do You Trade Jason Spezza?

Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Vote_lcap223%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 5 ]
Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Vote_lcap241%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 41% [ 9 ]
Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Vote_lcap236%Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 36% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:29 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It makes sense. I think we all have some valid points without knowing for sure where this goes, including me.

47Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 pm

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

Acrobat wrote:
asq2 wrote:I doubt Spezza would hold this team hostage with his NTC.

While it is a huge hit on the team's and GM's reputation to trade someone in the first year of their long-term contract, especially when they are supposed to be a franchise player, are you willing to bet the future of the team on a players whim? Or worse, his wife's? (Pronger comes to mind...)

I think that our experience with Redden, and Toronto's experience with Sundin should serve as warning enough.

Spezza is a rare talent, and it will hurt the team to lose that, but financially, and probably for character/chemistry reasons, one of the big contracts have to go. His is the easiest to move quickly. (Having said that, if Heatley waives, I'd vote for him going first.)

As an aside - nobody has commented on the clause that was brought up previously re: the NTC perhaps not applying to the acquiring team if it hasn't come into force prior to the trade. Anyone have more info?

It's article 11.8.a. whereby the latter half says:

"If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof."

Pretty crazy rule.

48Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:32 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:If the Senators haven't dealt Spezza yet, ask yourself if it isn't because no one wants to take on his $32MM deal when there are so many questions about Jason's ability to be a 'team guy'.

The other GMs know what is said about Spezza. If he was that desirable, Bryan Murray's phone would be ringing off the hook, as it were.

Just because Spezza's one of the highest paid centers in the league doesn't mean other GMs think he's one of the best.

Bryan Murray wanted to 'lock him up'...he may get what he wished for.

Nah. It means he hasn't gotten the crazy offers he's looking for. Wait for the deadline - but this is one guy who'd kinda rather see him in Sens colours.

49Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:05 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Spezza might be my favourite player. I don't want to see him go, but for the long-term viability of the franchise, he might have to go.

50Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:15 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
"Who will replace Spezza as the number 1 center?" It doesnt matter, you can put Vermette up the middle and he will get you 50, 60 points with Heatley and Alfi, on top of that, you get a 100% effort with the ability to play in every situation.

It was close though!

Only to support your argument. I think Vermette is more like a 60-70 point guy in that role with the opening on the PP. He already scored 53 without these advantages.

In six games he had, what, one assist? On the offensive side of the ledger Vermette is frustratingly inconsistent. Seriously, I'd prefer a guy who scores 40 points, but never goes more than 2-3 games without a point. If nothing else, that kind of player isn't going to get $2.8M.

51Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:Here's a lightning bolt that just came to me.

As Spezza gets closer to his NTC, I'd consider that Murray's leverage (trade value) drops as he can be squeezed against that date. I'm thinking the time to get value may be NOW!

Anyone?

But if the delayed NTC goes away after the trade, then it's in the acquiring team's best interest to move him before, rather than after. If Murray can get a commitment from Spezza that he will waive the NTC if the trade cannot be completed before July 1 then as we get closer to that date, the buyer becomes more eager. It's a gamble, for sure, since after that date the price might drop.

52Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:58 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I can see Murray's dilemna. It's the what if syndrome. What if Spezza grows some responsibility and emerges as the leader of this team? It is entirely possible that all he needs is another year of seasoning.

Or not.

And it's the chance of being 'or not' that Murray has to focus on. Spezza has tremendous downside if we elect to keep him.

His ego could grow some more, his feeling of self-importance could grow, his play could suffer.

IMO not worth the risk. Trade him now or at July 1, get what you can for him (not like the return will be proverbial bag of pucks, teams will put out for this guy) and move on, experiment failed.

53Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:28 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Spezza is gone at the draft if someone offers him a good deal. At least that's what I understand from the interview he did yesterday on CBC.

54Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

What did he say?

55Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:28 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

See for yourself:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/ondemand/

Choose the category Hockey night in canada, then full events, then choose the video "Scotiabank hockey tonight Feb 28." then the Murray interview is at 8:50.

56Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

He didn't say that. He said he hasn't gotten a single call and what happens with players like that with big long term deals is they usually get moved in the summer, but that he wasn't considering moving Spezza. Not exactly word for word, but he definitely did not say he was going to trade him.

Don't get your hopes up - Ottawa is screwed with all the money that have spent upfront.

57Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:41 pm

I'll honestly be shocked if Spezza is still here come July 1. Shocked.

58Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:I'll honestly be shocked if Spezza is still here come July 1. Shocked.

Well, depending on how long the shock lasts, maybe I'll get a chance to catch up to you Smile

59Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:51 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I'll honestly be shocked if Spezza is still here come July 1. Shocked.

Well, depending on how long the shock lasts, maybe I'll get a chance to catch up to you Smile

Are you kidding? The subsequent rant would produce far more posts than any self-congratulating.

60Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Meh, the rant would be quick prob. Who knows... Depends what happens in a lot of area's... say Heatley was traded or asked to be, the need to trade Spezza wouldnt be as intense.

61Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:58 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Transcript (edited for clarity):

Vanilliotte: ... you had a conversation with the media about Jason Spezza earlier in the week, and you said, "He's our Number one centre, and I don't feel it's fair to throw out names". Would you say...and people say "Hey, you didn't say he isn't going to be traded". Does that mean that Spezza is potentially available?

Murray: Not at this time. [emphasis mine] Really, what happens with bigger players in these scenarios that have long-term contracts (is that) they become more "in-play" in the summertime. I would say there hasn't been one phone call about Jason Spezza.[emphasis mine] I'm not sure why his name comes up all the time, but I would say he's not going anywhere.

This suggests that it's not just that Murray hasn't tried to move Spezza, but also that nobody has made a spontaneous/unsolicited offer for him. This may not bode well for anyone hoping to see him moved later on (i.e. before the draft).

62Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

25 years old, disgusting talent. Moving Alfie to line two and bringing in a veteran with enough skill not to hold these guys back - but with enough leadership to grab Spezza and Heatley by the throats if they're not giving it 100% every shift - could be the smartest GMing decision in recent memory.

Someone who needs to win and will kick arse if they don't perform. Mike Modano is a glaring player like that, but I doubt we're able to go near him (and I also doubt he'd be interested in coming here).

Someone like that could set this team up for a surprising run next year.

Have I mentioned before that I badly want a new D as well? Sarcasm

63Do You Trade Jason Spezza? - Page 4 Empty Re: Do You Trade Jason Spezza? Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:24 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:25 years old, disgusting talent. Moving Alfie to line two and bringing in a veteran with enough skill not to hold these guys back - but with enough leadership to grab Spezza and Heatley by the throats if they're not giving it 100% every shift - could be the smartest GMing decision in recent memory.

Someone who needs to win and will kick arse if they don't perform. Mike Modano is a glaring player like that, but I doubt we're able to go near him (and I also doubt he'd be interested in coming here).

Someone like that could set this team up for a surprising run next year.

Have I mentioned before that I badly want a new D as well? :***:

Guerin would be another in the off season that could really help Spezza and Heater

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum