GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spezza trade

+9
jamvan
PTFlea
Riprock
Sens4thecup
Aetherial
Cronie
Laker
beerandsens
mattshock
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Spezza trade Empty Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:13 pm

My question for the members of the forum is this:

Regardless of the Sens standings at the time; if a team in serious contention were to offer 3 very solid prospects and an early round draft pick without a roster replacement for Spezza, would you take it?
Think: Abdelkader, Leino, Helm and a 2nd round pick for just Spezza.
Try to forget the specifics and whether or not Detroit would actually do it (because they most certainly would not) just focus on the theory behind it:

Would you take three quality prospects with second (maybe even first) line potential, that will undoubtedly crack the lineup within 2 years, for Spezza?

If not, and if a "franchise" player were not coming in return, what would it take - realistically - for you to willingly trade Spezza? Would it take a mixture of roster players, picks, and prospects? Would a couple roster players do it for you? Would they be young and enthusiastic or would they be experienced and cagey?

AND if you cannot part with Spezza without a potential franchise player coming in return, who do you believe to be in Spezza's "class"? Who would be worth the young playmaker? Would it be straight up or would you need more than just that one player - or would you need to give up more than just Spezza?

2Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:44 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

To be honest with you, I'm not sure what his trade value is right now, but it doesn't matter.

He's getting his name thrown around a LOT lately, and I'm just not on that wagon.

I still feel it would be a mistake to trade him. End of story. I definitely would NOT trade him unless it was another roster player coming back of equal skill (I'm a believer that the winner of the trade is often the one receiving the best player in the deal), and trading him wouldn't help the team.

If I were to trade Spezza, it would be to upgrade at center. The only way to do that would be to trade Spezza for a better centerman, and you won't find many of those available. Would I do Spezza for Getzlaf? Yes, but we'd have to sweeten the pot.

Would I trade Spezza for a franchise D-man? No. We're thin enough down the middle with nothing similar in the system. Trading Spezza would set this team back 3-4 years if we're not replacing his points at center on the top line. Fisher can't do it, Vermette can't do it, Kelly can't do it, and no one on the farm can do it.

That's my take.

3Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:46 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

mattshock wrote:To be honest with you, I'm not sure what his trade value is right now, but it doesn't matter.

He's getting his name thrown around a LOT lately, and I'm just not on that wagon.

I still feel it would be a mistake to trade him. End of story. I definitely would NOT trade him unless it was another roster player coming back of equal skill (I'm a believer that the winner of the trade is often the one receiving the best player in the deal), and trading him wouldn't help the team.

If I were to trade Spezza, it would be to upgrade at center. The only way to do that would be to trade Spezza for a better centerman, and you won't find many of those available. Would I do Spezza for Getzlaf? Yes, but we'd have to sweeten the pot.

Would I trade Spezza for a franchise D-man? No. We're thin enough down the middle with nothing similar in the system. Trading Spezza would set this team back 3-4 years if we're not replacing his points at center on the top line. Fisher can't do it, Vermette can't do it, Kelly can't do it, and no one on the farm can do it.

That's my take.
With you 100%

4Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:51 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks beerandsens!!

Hopefully no one else is reading this in one inch compressed segments...

5Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:51 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Spezza trade ElliottLet's see if this stretches it out..

6Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:51 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Fail.

7Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:12 pm

Its not tough to look around the league and see a PPG center on most of the teams in the league. More than a couple teams have 2. Spezza isnt an irreplaceable asset we have. If he was dealt mid season then we wouldnt be able to replace him, probably not no. This is for the team going forward, NOT for this year.

8Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:25 pm

There are only two players I trade Spezza for...

Getzlaf and Luongo...

9Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:31 pm

Dawg's Wife wrote:There are only two players I trade Spezza for...

Getzlaf and Luongo...
I'm just putting this out there, its just a thought, but-

Spezza, Ott 1st, SJ 1st

for Thornton

10Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:42 pm

Tukker wrote:

Getzlaf and Luongo...
I'm just putting this out there, its just a thought, but-

Spezza, Ott 1st, SJ 1st

for Thornton

I dunno if Thornton would even be the answer here. So far, both of their careers are very similar. Also, right now, I wouldnt touch our 1st rounder. After tonight its very possible that is a lotto pick.

11Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:43 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I'd listen closely to any trades involving Thornton, Getzlaf, or Luongo.

Luongo though, we'd have some BIG problems at center. Bigger than our current goaltending problems. We'd have to swing a second deal for a centerman, then we have other problems.

As much as I love Luongo, it almost seems like 2 steps forwards and 2.5 back.

12Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

Getzlaf and Luongo...

What if it was for Turris & Tikhonov?

13Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:48 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Getzlaf I'd do pretty quickly. Thornton or Luongo, I'd be a little hesitant, mainly for the same points you mentioned Matt.

I think if anyone is going to be moved, it will be either Kelly, Vermette, A-train and/or Phillips.

14Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:49 pm

You'd hesitate to do Luongo for Spezza? I'd do that faster than Garrioch could inhale a cheese pizza.

15Spezza trade Empty Re: Spezza trade Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:50 pm

Cronenbergfan wrote:Getzlaf I'd do pretty quickly. Thornton or Luongo, I'd be a little hesitant, mainly for the same points you mentioned Matt.

I think if anyone is going to be moved, it will be either Kelly, Vermette, A-train and/or Phillips.

Getzlaf might be the best center in the game now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum