GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Sens and What IFs

+13
TeamRenzo
LeCaptain
Cronie
SensFan71
Urkie
Hockeyhero22000
Acrobat
wprager
beerandsens
Sp00nz
Phoenix30
asq2
Cap'n Clutch
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1The Sens and What IFs Empty The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Murray has made some moves that could pay off.

1 - He brought in a goalie who, when healthy, could be a top 10 goaltender in the league

2 - He brought in a young Puck mover who could fit in nicely as a 5th D man who can move the puck

3 - He brought back Comrie who, if signed cheap, could be an excellent addition.

4 - Re-signed Kuba? I don't know about this one but I guess he didn't have too many options.

What's his next moves? He wants a top six forward right? Well he lost Vermette and gained Comrie but still needs Offense. He's been unable to address that since becoming GM. What if he can't? Are we going to compete?

What if he can't land that big Stud D man Jay Bouwmeester? Then what? Are you comfortable with a D that has Kuba, Phillips, Campoli, Volchie, Picard, Bell, Lee? What if he moves Spezza for picks and prospects to make room for Jay Bo and it doesn't happen? Now we're down to relying on Alfie, Heatley, Fisher, Foligno as our Offensive guys? What do we do put Shannon and Regin in as top six?

Just because Murray has plans to make moves doesn't mean they'll come about. He sacrificed Vermette on a gamble that Leclaire pays off. He better be Patrick Roy if that's all we manage to do between now and training camp.

- Unknown Author

2The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:23 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

You're expecting to be a dominant team in one season?

It takes time to build a contender.

3The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:25 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

What's good, though, is that a lot of the guys we'll be relying on are still fairly young, like Spezza, Leclaire, Campoli, Volchenkov, Karlsson, Elliott, our draft pick this year etc.

4The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not expecting to dominate but it's pretty clear that what we have now isn't likely to even get us into the playoffs is it?

- Unknown Author

5The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:31 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Depends, at least in part, on who's coaching.

Right now, I see that team being somewhere between 7th and 11th in the conference.

6The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What's so different about the 08/09 team compared to what we'll have for 09/10 that makes you think that?

- Unknown Author

7The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:01 pm

asq2 wrote:What's good, though, is that a lot of the guys we'll be relying on are still fairly young, like Spezza, Leclaire, Campoli, Volchenkov, Karlsson, Elliott, our draft pick this year etc.

8The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:35 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Murray has made some moves that could pay off.

1 - He brought in a goalie who, when healthy, could be a top 10 goaltender in the league

2 - He brought in a young Puck mover who could fit in nicely as a 5th D man who can move the puck

3 - He brought back Comrie who, if signed cheap, could be an excellent addition.

4 - Re-signed Kuba? I don't know about this one but I guess he didn't have too many options.

What's his next moves? He wants a top six forward right? Well he lost Vermette and gained Comrie but still needs Offense. He's been unable to address that since becoming GM. What if he can't? Are we going to compete?

What if he can't land that big Stud D man Jay Bouwmeester? Then what? Are you comfortable with a D that has Kuba, Phillips, Campoli, Volchie, Picard, Bell, Lee? What if he moves Spezza for picks and prospects to make room for Jay Bo and it doesn't happen? Now we're down to relying on Alfie, Heatley, Fisher, Foligno as our Offensive guys? What do we do put Shannon and Regin in as top six?

Just because Murray has plans to make moves doesn't mean they'll come about. He sacrificed Vermette on a gamble that Leclaire pays off. He better be Patrick Roy if that's all we manage to do between now and training camp.

I suspect finding a replacement for a 1st line center won't be too hard come July 1 if Spezza is moved. I don't think we'll get someone that can put up similar numbers but I am sure some center would love to have the opportunity to come play in Ottawa as a #1. It would be a matter of how much will it cost. Personally I would like to see Murray make a trade for Savard but I don't that will happen.

9The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:44 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Am I the only one who remembers the days of Todd White, Radek Bonk and Bryan Smolinski as our top centres?

First line centres are hard to find. You're not just going to walk into UFA, pick up a guy at 25 like Spezza is who is top-5 in PPG since the lock-out and sign him for under $9 million, much less $7 million, especially considering we're non-competitive.

Why on earth would Boston trade Savard to a division rival?

10The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:What's so different about the 08/09 team compared to what we'll have for 09/10 that makes you think that?

A more than one-man forecheck?

11The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

I suspect finding a replacement for a 1st line center won't be too hard come July 1 if Spezza is moved. I don't think we'll get someone that can put up similar numbers but I am sure some center would love to have the opportunity to come play in Ottawa as a #1. It would be a matter of how much will it cost. Personally I would like to see Murray make a trade for Savard but I don't that will happen.

No team that wants Spezza will give up a top line centre because anyone who needs Spezza won't have one.

Bottom line is, if Spezza is moved one of Comrie, Kelly or Fisher will be Ottawa's top centre. It makes no sense.

12The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:What's so different about the 08/09 team compared to what we'll have for 09/10 that makes you think that?

A more than one-man forecheck?

Thanks Hartsberg, that was so exciting to watch

13The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:10 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Am I the only one who remembers the days of Todd White, Radek Bonk and Bryan Smolinski as our top centres?

You sure aren't, which is why I say the ONLY way to deal Spezza is if you already have a no.1 C coming back. I don't want to deal him then cross my fingers for a UFA.

14The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

You mean you don't want to try to replace Spezza via free agency? Who wouldn't want a Gomez, Drury or Briere at their respective deals?

15The Sens and What IFs Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We're in a pickle, aren't we. We might have to put Regin in as the 2nd line centre and move Fisher up. Or try Heatley at centre with Fish/Alfie on his wings.

We have a lot of 3rd/4th line centres but only two top-2; and we traded one of them away.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum