GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Sens and What IFs

+13
TeamRenzo
LeCaptain
Cronie
SensFan71
Urkie
Hockeyhero22000
Acrobat
wprager
beerandsens
Sp00nz
Phoenix30
asq2
Cap'n Clutch
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

31The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Urkie wrote:I don't know about trading Spezza. I could see why it would be done but at the same time we're not going to replace a guy like that. I think he's improving and when he matures a little bit more he'll start justifying the contract.

I do want JBo though but in order to do it we would have to make some tough decisions. Somebody that we like would have to go.

He has defently not improved this year, at all... again, I think waiting for him to mature is a bigger risk than anything because some people never do and there is no reason to think he will. Spezza with an NTC for 6 years with Heatley, there wont be any help coming on the blue line unless you expect a 20 year old, 165lb kid to do the job.

Money needs to be moved up front, J Bo or not, way too much committed there.

32The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:34 pm

Urkie

Sophomore
Sophomore

Neely4Life wrote:He has defently not improved this year, at all... again, I think waiting for him to mature is a bigger risk than anything because some people never do and there is no reason to think he will. Spezza with an NTC for 6 years with Heatley, there wont be any help coming on the blue line unless you expect a 20 year old, 165lb kid to do the job.

You see what he can do though in tonights game for instance. If he could play that way consistently then I don't think you'd have a problem with him.

33The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:35 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Ya, I think if we trade Spezza the Sens will cease to exsist... no way the Sens could survive that.

Ok, you tell me, all-knowing one.

Why the **** would JayBo sign here with Spezza gone?

34The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:37 pm

Murray is going to have to do a good sell job, but guess what, Spezza isnt the end all and be all like you make him out to be...

With Spezza here with Heatley though, I garentee there isnt enough money to get him to sign at all, and guess what, Fisher isnt waiving that NTC either.

One of the two big contracts are gone before July 1, you can count on it. Maybe Heatley asked for a trade at the end of the season, then we wont be having this discussion, but if he didnt and he wants to stay (which I actually dont think he does) then Spezza is goooooone.

35The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:38 pm

Neely4Life wrote:
He has defently not improved this year, at all... again, I think waiting for him to mature is a bigger risk than anything because some people never do and there is no reason to think he will. Spezza with an NTC for 6 years with Heatley, there wont be any help coming on the blue line unless you expect a 20 year old, 165lb kid to do the job.

Now that I agree with. I don't necessarily agree with your disdain for Spezza, nor do I believe half of the crap rumors that are out there, but I will agree that all that money up front doesn't do us any good. Especially 3 years down the road if the cap drops.

I will agree that moving Spezza is needed, but just to clear the cap space. But I guess at the end of the day does it matter what the reason is. Whether it's because you don't like him like N4L or you think the cap commitment is too much like me he has to go.

I hope he's lights out for the rest of the season then, that way the package coming back will be much more.

36The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 pm

Urkie wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:He has defently not improved this year, at all... again, I think waiting for him to mature is a bigger risk than anything because some people never do and there is no reason to think he will. Spezza with an NTC for 6 years with Heatley, there wont be any help coming on the blue line unless you expect a 20 year old, 165lb kid to do the job.

You see what he can do though in tonights game for instance. If he could play that way consistently then I don't think you'd have a problem with him.

Spezza was phenominal tonight, best he has played all year. That said, he got his break early and thats when he has his good games, if he doesnt get those breaks, he quits. Good for him and the Sens for having a great game, but having 1 good game and then 5 bad ones isnt what a 7 million dollar player does.

Sure, if Spezza played like this even 75% of the time (and I dont think that is asking too much at all) then he could be an elite player in the NHL. 1 game wont change my mind, nor will 1 week, or 1 month. He has to show it all the time, thats why he is paid like he is.

37The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 pm

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Ya, I think if we trade Spezza the Sens will cease to exsist... no way the Sens could survive that.

That's kind of what I think as well. Spezza and Bouwmeester go way back too as you've mentioned. I wish we could find a way to have both.

38The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Dawg's Wife wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

Now that I agree with. I don't necessarily agree with your disdain for Spezza, nor do I believe half of the crap rumors that are out there, but I will agree that all that money up front doesn't do us any good. Especially 3 years down the road if the cap drops.

I will agree that moving Spezza is needed, but just to clear the cap space. But I guess at the end of the day does it matter what the reason is. Whether it's because you don't like him like N4L or you think the cap commitment is too much like me he has to go.

I hope he's lights out for the rest of the season then, that way the package coming back will be much more.

If Heatley is moved, the risk of having Spezza here is reduced so much its not even funny. Spezza and Heatley being here is nearly impossible to get around, especially if they are both content playing the way they are.

I cant stand Spezza as a player and I def know how little respect he has from his team mates and others in the NHL. He has to earn a lot more considering what he has been given. The Sens made a HUGE committment to him, and thus far he has spit in the teams face and the fans.

At the end of the day though, Heatley is a better player and a 50 goal scorer is a lot more rare than a playmaking center.

39The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:46 pm

Urkie wrote:
asq2 wrote:

That's kind of what I think as well. Spezza and Bouwmeester go way back too as you've mentioned. I wish we could find a way to have both.

I dont know if it's true or not, but you didnt see Chara running to St Louis to play with Brewer. There are great friends all over the NHL it doesnt mean they sign in a city to play with each other.

Ruutu was a UFA and he didnt go running to Carolina to play with his bro. Anyone who says that players are good friends and are gonna play with each other, stop kidding yourselves, the only high profile signing like that was when Salanee and Karyia played together in Colorado and it lasted a year.

40The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Murray is going to have to do a good sell job, but guess what, Spezza isnt the end all and be all like you make him out to be...

With Spezza here with Heatley though, I garentee there isnt enough money to get him to sign at all, and guess what, Fisher isnt waiving that NTC either.

One of the two big contracts are gone before July 1, you can count on it. Maybe Heatley asked for a trade at the end of the season, then we wont be having this discussion, but if he didnt and he wants to stay (which I actually dont think he does) then Spezza is goooooone.

Thing is, he wouldn't come if he didn't believe we're competitive, unless he was not interested in winning, in which case I wouldn't want him.

Out - Spezza, In - JayBo.

Maybe we win 5 more games a season.

41The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:52 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Look, I don't know what the answer is here but I have to question Bouwmeester's rationale if he's willing to sign here on a Sens team sans one of it's most important offensive pieces.

Why would he?

42The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:54 pm

With Leclaire as the number 1 guy and healthy, thats another 5 and playoff spot, maybe even the division title.

If your Murray you pitch that you have a franchise forward in Heatley (and he is) a franchise goalie in Leclaire (he can be) a true captain in Alfi, grit and charcter in Phillips, Fisher, A train, and Smith. You have a smart, expeirenced D partner for him in Kuba and he will have every chance to suceed in Ottawa. He is the key piece now and for the next 5-10 years, here is the money and term you want and to show you that we are serious about competing.

Chara signed because the team committed to him, Murray can do the same thing in J Bo. If Ottawa's pitch is good enough, J Bo will sign. Spezza wont be the reason he signs here or not, he might be the reason no one signs here at all.

43The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:57 pm

asq2 wrote:Look, I don't know what the answer is here but I have to question Bouwmeester's rationale if he's willing to sign here on a Sens team sans one of it's most important offensive pieces.

Why would he?

If Cogliano comes in between Heatley and Alfi, are you telling me he can match the production Spezza has put out this year? You can put a monkey in there and he will get 60 points playing with those 2.

I think Spezza is a product of those 2, especially Alfi. If you get Cogliano and a 1st back for Spezza (as an example) you have a guy you can put up in the number 1 spot in the middle. He might not be a number 1 center yet, but he def has the potential to be, and thats what we are waiting on for Spezza, the potential he has. Add J Bo to that, the Sens are so much better we may be back in the finals in short order.

44The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:57 pm

PS Regin looks like he can def come in and replace Vermette, hopefully he isnt hurt too badly. Looks like a young Zetterberg IMO.

45The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:01 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:
asq2 wrote:Look, I don't know what the answer is here but I have to question Bouwmeester's rationale if he's willing to sign here on a Sens team sans one of it's most important offensive pieces.

Why would he?

If Cogliano comes in between Heatley and Alfi, are you telling me he can match the production Spezza has put out this year? You can put a monkey in there and he will get 60 points playing with those 2.

I think Spezza is a product of those 2, especially Alfi. If you get Cogliano and a 1st back for Spezza (as an example) you have a guy you can put up in the number 1 spot in the middle. He might not be a number 1 center yet, but he def has the potential to be, and thats what we are waiting on for Spezza, the potential he has. Add J Bo to that, the Sens are so much better we may be back in the finals in short order.

No, I don't. You replace Spezza with Cogliano and right now he has around 17 points.

Cogliano could be a good second to poor first line centre. Spezza is in the upper echelon of top-line centres. One poor season doesn't change that.

The potential we're waiting on his for him to become a Hall of Fame calibre player. Right now, he's better than Cogliano even has the potential to be.

46The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:02 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:PS Regin looks like he can def come in and replace Vermette, hopefully he isnt hurt too badly. Looks like a young Zetterberg IMO.

Agreed. He's got to bulk up pretty badly though.

47The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:03 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Also, I think that was Martin St. Louis in Ryan Shannon's uniform tonight.

48The Sens and What IFs - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sens and What IFs Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:06 am

Dude, if you think Spezza has HOF potential, then there is no point in talking about this. That is beyond a stretch, right now, Spezza cant even play with another player other than Heatley.

Im sorry you think so highly of Spezza because if those are your expectations of him, then wow, what a let down it will be.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum