GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes - 7:00pm Nov. 7th, 2008

+17
COLLAR UP
LethalLehner
Riprock
asq2
PTFlea
Number Twenty Nine
SensHero
wprager
Sens4thecup
Snuh
beedub
Laker
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
Cronie
smash88
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 12]

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:In terms of going from somewhat competitive and likely making the playoffs only to fizzle out to getting over the hump and becoming legitimate contenders with a real shot at the finals.

I doubt we have a shot at the finals this year. We still have some dead weight on the team and some concerns of inconsistency amongst some players -- but, you never know. That's why they play the games I guess.

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
mattshock wrote:J-Bo is getting a lot of love from Sens fans (calling him "stud" or "franchise"). While I'm in that camp and believe he can be a dominant D-man, a lot of Florida/SE teams' fans over at HB seem to disagree. Hopefully we aren't putting this guy on a pedestal.

I don't think anyone is putting him on a pedestal. But he's very young, a top 10 defenseman in the league, averages close to 30 minutes a night, puts up about 40 points per year, can run a powerplay, is one of the best skaters in the league, easily in the top 5, and is a big solid body who rarely misses time.

Oh, and I forgot to mention he's done that pretty much by himself all these years in FLORIDA. I could get a bunch of guys from the outdoor rink next to my house that would be better than the Florida Panthers.

Just imagine if this guy had a solid team around him with top level players like Spezza, Heatley and Alfie and solid defensive partners to play with (Volch, Phillips).

That's what I thought. I'd like to hear the matter argued from the other side.

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

As far as what we'd have to pay to get Barker, wasn't on waivers recently and we didn't snag him?

With all the Neil for Barker rumours that were floating around, it's as if this guy would be had for a song.

PKC wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:In terms of going from somewhat competitive and likely making the playoffs only to fizzle out to getting over the hump and becoming legitimate contenders with a real shot at the finals.

I doubt we have a shot at the finals this year. We still have some dead weight on the team and some concerns of inconsistency amongst some players -- but, you never know. That's why they play the games I guess.
Adding Bouwmeester, especially if the only roster player going the other way is Vermette, definitely makes us a contender in the east.

A D core of
Bouwmeester - Kuba
Phillips - Volchenkov
Smith - Picard/Schubert

is easily among the top 5 groups in the league when looking at depth, experience, toughness and offensive potential.

Who in the east has a better group ?

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

No one is coming to mind.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

mattshock wrote:As far as what we'd have to pay to get Barker, wasn't on waivers recently and we didn't snag him?

With all the Neil for Barker rumours that were floating around, it's as if this guy would be had for a song.

Barker is still exempt from all waivers (because of his age, contract status, NHL games played, and so on). Chicago didn't lose him to waivers when they sent him down for the same we don't lose Bass, Elliott, etc. to waivers every time they're sent down. They're protected by the CBA.

Other points raised in this thread to dispel:

- Barker has played a grand total of 86 games. This guy is no one's savior right now, no more than Picard or Lee anyway. He's waaaay to inexperienced to be counting on as our #1 or 2 puck-mover.

- Barker is not cheap. In fact, his salary is almost $2.8 mil once the bonuses are factored in. That's why he didn't start the year with the big club -- salary cap issues.

- Barker is probably not going to be had for a song. The guy was a 1st round draft pick, 3rd overall, in 2004 (the year Ovechkin went 1st overall). I don't think you give up on a player that young so early, and for so little.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Especially given how long it usually takes defensemen not named Phaneuf to come around into their own.

PKC wrote:Especially given how long it usually takes defensemen not named Phaneuf to come around into their own.
Weber as well, he is a better all around D than Phaneuf for sure. Burns is as well. Phaneuf is solid by over rated IMO.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
mattshock wrote:As far as what we'd have to pay to get Barker, wasn't on waivers recently and we didn't snag him?

Barker is still exempt from all waivers (because of his age, contract status, NHL games played, and so on). Chicago didn't lose him to waivers when they sent him down for the same we don't lose Bass, Elliott, etc. to waivers every time they're sent down. They're protected by the CBA.

Other points raised in this thread to dispel:

- Barker has played a grand total of 86 games. This guy is no one's savior right now, no more than Picard or Lee anyway. He's waaaay to inexperienced to be counting on as our #1 or 2 puck-mover.

- Barker is not cheap. In fact, his salary is almost $2.8 mil once the bonuses are factored in. That's why he didn't start the year with the big club -- salary cap issues.

- Barker is probably not going to be had for a song. The guy was a 1st round draft pick, 3rd overall, in 2004 (the year Ovechkin went 1st overall). I don't think you give up on a player that young so early, and for so little.

Thanks for the clarifications Rooney. I know he was drafted high, but Chicago isn't dealing from a position of strength. The Neil for Barker rumours we heard have everyone thinking his value is quite low, and maybe it is.

I knew he was in the minors for salary reasons, and his not passing through waivers makes him an unfortunately (for him) ideal candidate to be put on the farm (ala Lee).

Being in the West, I'm not sure if this guy at that age would be any better than Lee or Pickard. For his salary (more than Lee and Pickard put together), I'm not sure if he'd be a good pickup or not. Interesting option though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum