GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes - 7:00pm Nov. 7th, 2008

+17
COLLAR UP
LethalLehner
Riprock
asq2
PTFlea
Number Twenty Nine
SensHero
wprager
Sens4thecup
Snuh
beedub
Laker
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
Cronie
smash88
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

I do believe Gerber is playing tonight. Maybe we'll see his A game.....does he have an A game?

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I actually agree Laker. Vermette just needs to get used to Heater and Spezza's playing. For instance, there was play on the rush where Heater wasn't in a good position, so he pushed the puck into the far corner, and as the commentators pointed out, Vermette was NO where to be found.

He just needs to make himself available more and get used to their style.

Now, our 2nd line is AWESOME!!

At this point, I'd almost be open to moving Foligno to the top line and try Vermette in Foligno's old spot, just to see what happens, because from what I've seen, Foligno has been crashing the net and is making himself open every chance he gets.

Laker

Prospect
Prospect

I think Foligno may be on the 4th line untill his defensive play gets better. BTW, 4th line looks great. They are getting lot's of icetime.

Vermette just seems to be out of position most of the time.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

It takes some adjustment to play on that top line. Those two know where the other is gonna be without even looking. It's a type of chemistry that transcends the type you get in practice. He'll have a learning curve, but Vermette is smart enough of a hockey player to adjust. Just give it some time...

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

PKC wrote:It takes some adjustment to play on that top line. Those two know where the other is gonna be without even looking. It's a type of chemistry that transcends the type you get in practice. He'll have a learning curve, but Vermette is smart enough of a hockey player to adjust. Just give it some time...

I hope so ... he is looking out of place at the moment.

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:It takes some adjustment to play on that top line. Those two know where the other is gonna be without even looking. It's a type of chemistry that transcends the type you get in practice. He'll have a learning curve, but Vermette is smart enough of a hockey player to adjust. Just give it some time...

Totally agree. They definitely had their chances last night. Stick with Vermette on that line and he'll eventually build some chemisty with Spezza and Heatley. Take him off that line and you start from square one with another player trying to develope chemisty. But all the lines last night played very well, so hopefully they can keep it up, stay together, and give Hartsburg the opportunity to roll 4 solid lines every game.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

On the Gerber debate for tonight... no matter what happens, I think we'll have our answer. Let's mull some scenarios.

Scenario 1: Gerber craps the bed huge. Conclusion: Auld is the man, Gerber sucks. It's public knowledge and Murray has no chance at moving him. Bury him in Bingo, bring up Elliott.

Scenario 2: Gerber wins the game. Conclusion: Auld remains the man, Gerber shows that he can win a game for us. His "stock value" goes up slightly. Murray may have a chance to move him in a deal.

Scenario 3: Gerber plays lights out hockey. Conclusion: We could find ourselves stuck with two "good" goalies playing in a tandem situation.

I don't see Gerber crapping the bed tonight as doing any damage to the team other than himself.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hope you're right Shabbs.
My concern was stemming from the fact that it seems SO obvious that the team plays MORE and better in front of Auld, so if the team continues to play strong and for one-another and Gerbs can't maintain his end of the bargain, that could cause a rift or resentment perhaps.

Either way, there is the possibility that the team knows Gerbs sucks so they may not expect much; or the contrary could be true where they know Gerbs is capable of more and are hoping he gives them life.

Either way, I'm all for Gerbs lighting it up if he can, but Auld is the man in my books. When you get outshone by a goalie barely making a 1/3rd of the others salary, that's saying something.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, I hope Gerber realizes that this is his one shot to make an impression on Hartsburg. I think his performance tonight will seal his fate.

I do have long term concerns with Auld being our #1 as far as him being able to play that many games. But who knows, maybe he's ready to step into that role. The team seems to be sending a clear mesage when they play in front of him, you just know Hartsburg is seeing that and if Gerber is in tonight, Hartsburg is testing the mettle of the team and Gerber's pshyche.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Laker wrote:

I hope so ... he is looking out of place at the moment.

I disagree. I think Vermette is starting to get used to being up there and as long as Hartburg is patient then Vermette will start to look good up there. I'm personally really happy with the pairings more so than the actual lines.

Heatley - Spezza pairing is finally playing well without Alfie.

Alfie - Fisher pairing - About freakin' time I say. Those two will be lethal together IMO. A top line that can play the shutdown role?? Are you kidding me? That is sweeeeet!!!

Fisher - Ruutu pairing - Kick Arse.

The Fourth line is better than most teams 4th's and arguably as good as a few teams 3rd line!

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TSN is reporting that Gerber is "likely" tonight...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=255061

No one has been able to confirm who is starting.

Hmmmm...

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Well I think that we have to showcase him in order to deal the Gerbage.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Sens4thecup wrote:Well I think that we have to showcase him in order to deal the Gerbage.

Yeah but we can't afford to throw points away.. and honestly I think the more he plays the more his value goes down... Actually maybe if they don't play him for a while people will forget that he is THAT bad.. and maybe someone will take a chance on him.. LOL

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

smash88 wrote:Actually maybe if they don't play him for a while people will forget that he is THAT bad.. and maybe someone will take a chance on him.. LOL
Maybe he'll forget he sucks.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sigh...

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
smash88 wrote:Actually maybe if they don't play him for a while people will forget that he is THAT bad.. and maybe someone will take a chance on him.. LOL
Maybe he'll forget he sucks.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sigh...

yep, all possibilities are coming out now.... LOL :D

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TSN now reporting that Gerber will indeed get the call tonight...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=255061

Ladies and gentlemen... brace yourselves...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sportsnet is reporting it too...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/11/07/gerber_canes/

Well Gerber... time to show us what you're made of.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:TSN now reporting that Gerber will indeed get the call tonight...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=255061

Ladies and gentlemen... brace yourselves...

I think we'll be fine. Regardless of who is in nets, the team is playing with more confidence now, and just as much as the team fed off Auld's confidence, Gerber will not feed off the team's. Remember, even after Auld took over, the team still played a stinker against the Leafs (and that Anaheim game wasn't much to write home about either).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum