GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

FISHER TRADED...

+11
mattshock
Cronie
BigRig
Snuh
PTFlea
The Silfer Server
TheAvatar
shabbs
Phoenix30
PKC
COLLAR UP
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:04 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

As much as I don't want to get into this right now - I read each post and I can agree to an extent. It used to be a joke to me that Hartnell makes 4.2 million - but now I can't laugh because Fisher just isn't producing. For a bang and crash energy guy to be making 4.2 million - is a little scary considering we have Z.Smith and Bass ready willing and able to come up and play that role.

I will say...we have no choice but to wait and see how things shape up. First off, Fisher has this team's colours bleeding through him - and you don't put a price on that. Secondly, he's a natural leader who will mature even more in time. Third, 4.2 million is about the going rate for a big, strong, aggressive 25 goal, 50 point guy - who, like Alfie said, will learn to manage his shots and become more offensive.

Lastly though, we have no choice but to wait because Fisher's first 2 years have NMC attached to them, the third becomes a limited NTC and I believe the last two are limited to only not going to a few teams. So right now we wait, in the next few years, we see if O'Brien, Z.Smith, Bass etc. etc. etc. can take his job for less $$.

We all have our eyes set on 2010/2011 (and if you don't, you should drink a dose of reality), so let's wait and see how things pan out.

I hate that this is coming up - and I hate that I agree - to a degree.

17FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:34 am

Snuh

Rookie
Rookie

hemlock34 wrote:Realistically, Fisher may be our only big chip to dangle. If Murray is intent on keeping Heatley and Spezza like he claims then Fisher is the only logical solution. I love the guy, but he needs to produce more not only as a number two centre but as a $6 million dollar player. I don't care what his cap hit is, if his paycheques total $6 million this season, he better be producing more. The injury thing too, will only get worse our time as he ages. I say trade him before this sad start is prolonged long enough to cause his value to plummet. If we can ship him out for some goaltending help or a PMD, do it right now Murray!

I don't know about that. Look at Alfie. He was consitently injured early in his career, people wanted him gone, and now look. I know it's not the best example or comparison but I wouldn't count Fisher out so soon. When Hartsburg put Fisher on the top line again in the 3rd, against Florida, they had some good chances. They just need some time to gel. I also thought Spezza and Vermette looked great together in the 3rd.

I agree that outside Heatley, Spezza, and Alfie, he's the one guy who will bring in a good return. I really think the goals will come. Fisher is not the problem. It's just in our nature to rag on the guy who's making big money and not producing. Does he have to pick it up? Of course. But I think it's a little too early to panic, and trading Fisher right now is a panic move, and that's not Murray's style.

18FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:40 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Snuh wrote:
I don't know about that. Look at Alfie. He was consitently injured early in his career, people wanted him gone, and now look. I know it's not the best example or comparison but I wouldn't count Fisher out so soon. When Hartsburg put Fisher on the top line again in the 3rd, against Florida, they had some good chances. They just need some time to gel. I also thought Spezza and Vermette looked great together in the 3rd.

I agree that outside Heatley, Spezza, and Alfie, he's the one guy who will bring in a good return. I really think the goals will come. Fisher is not the problem. It's just in our nature to rag on the guy who's making big money and not producing. Does he have to pick it up? Of course. But I think it's a little too early to panic, and trading Fisher right now is a panic move, and that's not Murray's style.

What do you realistically think the chances are of Hartsburg doing the logical thing and keeping Vermette with Spezza and Foligno/Winchester?

8%?

I'm actually curious, because that's the best I've seen Vermette play in a long time.

19FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:47 am

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:
Snuh wrote:

What do you realistically think the chances are of Hartsburg doing the logical thing and keeping Vermette with Spezza and Foligno/Winchester?

8%?

I'm actually curious, because that's the best I've seen Vermette play in a long time.

I hope it's more like an 8% chance of them being split up. Vermette playing with skilled players on a regular basis will pay off IMO.

20FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Snuh wrote:

I hope it's more like an 8% chance of them being split up. Vermette playing with skilled players on a regular basis will pay off IMO.

Please be right on this Snuh. I think Hartsburg is about to pull a Paddock and go back to Foligno - Spezza - Winchester - which is fine, but I need to see 5-10 games of Vermette on Spezza's wing.

21FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:40 am

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:Realistically, Fisher may be our only big chip to dangle. If Murray is intent on keeping Heatley and Spezza like he claims then Fisher is the only logical solution. I love the guy, but he needs to produce more not only as a number two centre but as a $6 million dollar player. I don't care what his cap hit is, if his paycheques total $6 million this season, he better be producing more. The injury thing too, will only get worse our time as he ages. I say trade him before this sad start is prolonged long enough to cause his value to plummet. If we can ship him out for some goaltending help or a PMD, do it right now Murray!

But the flip side of that is that he makes 4 million for the next 3 years and then 3 million in his last year. If he can be a solid two-way guy who can put up 60 points, is that a bargain given all the other intangibles he brings to the table?

I mean, if Heatley doesn't score 50+ goals this year, do we look at it and say, well he's making 10 million this year, but he just isn't cutting it, time to trade him?

Do you realistically think Fisher can put up 60 points? I have little faith.

I love Fisher...but in order to improve our team it is going to take one of our key peices. Trading away Neil, Schubs...etc...is not going to fetch us the big return we want. Fisher...fortunately or unfortunately will. So as much as it hurts to trade him...as he he most definitely a fan favourite..and a major contributor to the city...it may just have to happen.

Why did they not give him the A this year? To me that was the first sign that they have at least considered trading him.

22FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:47 am

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

Snuh wrote:

The point of my initial post was not a panic...rather a look at the teams needs which have been well disclosed...a PMD...Top-Sixer...and a Goalie...

My point in short was that Fisher could be the guy that helped to land us one of our major needs...

No...Fisher is not the problem...at all...other than the fact that he hasn't scored yet...but he will of course...

the problem is the teams needs...as noted above...
and Fisher...as much as we all love him...is someone other teams will want...that coul help land one of the big itmes missing from this squad...

23FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:07 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

COLLAR UP wrote:
Snuh wrote:

The point of my initial post was not a panic...rather a look at the teams needs which have been well disclosed...a PMD...Top-Sixer...and a Goalie...

My point in short was that Fisher could be the guy that helped to land us one of our major needs...

No...Fisher is not the problem...at all...other than the fact that he hasn't scored yet...but he will of course...

the problem is the teams needs...as noted above...
and Fisher...as much as we all love him...is someone other teams will want...that coul help land one of the big itmes missing from this squad...

Let me start with this...I love Mike Fisher (as a player) and think he's worth his contract for what he brings. If injuries weren't an issue, he'd probably be a 30 goal scorer many times over by now...

BUT

so what the sens are lacking...he or Vermette, are what it will take to help land a top Dman or Goalie.

Watching the FLDA game the other night, I was really impressed with Bowmeester (hence I traded for him) the dude was EVERYWHERE on the ice! We're missing that type of D right now and it's showing.

I would hate to see him go...BUT I would hate more to see Alfie & Philips retire without winning a CUP for Ottawa.

24FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:15 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, first off, Kudos for Collar Up having the balls to put into print what I'm sure a LOT of us have been thinking quietly to ourselves, at the risk of being lynched on Bank Street! Seriously though, like The Avatar mentioned, I can find absolutely NO flaw(s) in your logic and I think should he continue to be 'snakebitten' or listless, then perhaps the so-called 'unthinkable' should be explored.

I do think we should give him a few weeks or so to see if a fire (holy one or not) can be lit under his arse and get him going... Otherwise, if he's the ONE piece that bring us a Bowmeester, or a part of a Vokoun or Toskala-caliver goalie, or a PROVEN Top 6...I say go for it...

25FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:19 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Fisher has not been playing well this year, but he will come around. I'm not suprised to hear his name coming up (with his new deal, underperformance, and recent injuries), but it doesn't make sense to deal him now unless the return knocks your socks off.

Keep Fisher!

26FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:24 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote: Otherwise, if he's the ONE piece that bring us a Bowmeester, or a part of a Vokoun or Toskala-caliver goalie, or a PROVEN Top 6...I say go for it...

Exactly...

27FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:31 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Wow, I can't believe he's being considered... But then I remember when people were considering moving Alfie. I'm confident this will pass.

28FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

dirtydirtynorth wrote:
shabbs wrote:Fisher is actually making $6M this year in salary. His cap hit is only $4.2M. Is he playing like a $6M forward? I certainly hope he starts too very soon...

I disagree with that reasoning only because, it is the same thing as saying, when Spezza reaches the final year of his contract, that it is ok for him to play like a $4M dollar player, which in 2014 will be what 3rd liners make. And that is something I grossly disagree with.
Yeah, it's not a great way to look at it, especially with "front loaded" contracts that drop off, but the bottom line for me is he'll be taking home $6M in cash this season regardless of his cap hit. I just hope that he's saying to himself, this is the year I need to step up and deliver and go that extra mile to help this team.

29FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I really hope Hartburgh doesn't cave and put the top line back together. It takes more than hand full of games for these things to gel and it would be a tremendous advantage for the team to be able to keep them seperated (Hey hey). Sorry had to. Anyway, IF they struggle to win who cares, they're struggling to win now as is!! Make it work. Tell them to suck it up and make it work!

As for Fisher being traded? As much as it pains me to say it, if it improves the team then I say go for it. If it makes the team worse then get ready for the worst PR nightmare to hit Sens land in a long time.

- Unknown Author

30FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:23 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I say keep those lines for another game or two. They looked good in the last period they played, even if they didn't finish.

31FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:27 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Sens Chirp just put out an article and talks about the possibility of Fisher being traded. Good read, check it out if you can.

Apparently he no longer appears untouchable...

32FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

WOW! I suppose with guys like Alfie, Phillips and Smith we are fine in terms of leadership but I still think that would be a big hole at least in that department.

- Unknown Author

33FISHER TRADED... - Page 2 Empty Re: FISHER TRADED... Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:33 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

No doubt. Guys like Nikulin, Schubert, and McAmmond I wasn't too surprised, but this is the first credible source I've heard confirming whispers of Fisher's name coming up in discussions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum