GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+11
mattshock
DefenceWinsChampionships
SensHulk
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Ev
spader
tim1_2
PTFlea
wprager
Flo The Action
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I must say though I do like what Montreal did in the off-season. Added a lot of grit and toughness. I've always thought Subban to be overrated and Weber is a tough guy to play against. Shaw will also make them a lot tougher to play against as well. I expect them to win/lose a lot of one goal games. Won't be very exciting hockey that's for sure.
I still think they have week offence and unless radulov is into redemption they will be struggling. If price is healthy they might just win games like 2-1.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I'm visiting my sister in law in New Hampshire and today we went to a beach in Maine where my brother in law has a couple of cottages. He's currently renting one of them to the Habs' AGM. Played golf with him today (not me, mt brother in law). If only I'd learned about St. Patrick's resignation before I left!

I couldn't get any dirt (apparently with the Olympics on there's nothing going on anywhere else). But I was talking to my brother in law, saying how they traded Subban for Weber because Weber is better at clearing the crease (and protecting their bread-and-butter). Apparently the Habs' AGM said that Karlsson defends the crease better than Subban.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Interesting read:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/roys-desire-total-control-recipe-failure/

I really don't understand why they keep saying he is next in line for Therrien's job. He hasn't proven himself to be a good coach yet (one great year riding a hot goalie). But I could see him as the GM or head of hockey ops or something like that.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Interesting read:

I really don't understand why they keep saying he is next in line for Therrien's job.  He hasn't proven himself to be a good coach yet (one great year riding a hot goalie).  But I could see him as the GM or head of hockey ops or something like that.
He might just get that GM postion and the habs falter. They might can bergevin and therrien. When a GM is that close to his coach through thick and thin you might see both of them hit the curb roughly at the same time. Lots of questionable moves done by bergevin. His Donkey could easily be on the line very soon.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think when the owner meets with ex players who have gone on record how management is doing it wrong, then an ex Captain of the team is hired as an assistant coach, Bergevin's arse is already on the hot seat. Might be time to flip him over.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I really don't understand why they keep saying he is next in line for Therrien's job.  He hasn't proven himself to be a good coach yet (one great year riding a hot goalie).  But I could see him as the GM or head of hockey ops or something like that.

Just a romantic prodigal son story. I found it amusing to hear Tony Marinaro call Roy an egomaniac. Pot/kettle.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tony can be really entertaining. Two years ago, around this time of the year, he was projecting how PK will score 25 goals, and that was a conservative projection.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hope Roy gets Montreal's job. They'd go from worse to bad.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Just a romantic prodigal son story. I found it amusing to hear Tony Marinaro call Roy an egomaniac. Pot/kettle.
Laugh1 so true!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Tony can be really entertaining.  Two years ago, around this time of the year, he was projecting how PK will score 25 goals, and that was a conservative projection.
It's too bad they haven't shipped his Donkey off of TSN radio. Is a clown but he plays well on an under informed fanbase. Quite like him.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:Hard to believe there wasn't a market for vermette anywhere. I can't imagine he's done playing. Would be a good 3c on many teams.

Vermette to the Ducks for 2 @$1.75M.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Hard to believe there wasn't a market for vermette anywhere. I can't imagine he's done playing. Would be a good 3c on many teams.

Nice add. He's still got something left in the tank.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

I would of preferred vermette over Kelly any day of the week

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

To be fair, Vermette wasn't a UFA when Kelly was signed. C'est la vie. Also I think Ducks were the only ones to offer 2 year deal.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

Kelly is half the salary and half the term. Vermette is not better than Turris or Brassard. He is close to Pageau but Pageau may continue to improve while Vermette is likely to continue to decline. So not really much of an upgrade on the 3rd line. So, yes, Vermette would be an upgrade over Lazar or Paul as the 4th line center but that's the spot where you want your young players to learn the game, so getting a veteran who won't mind playing just 30-40 games is the move you make.

You can't just compare Kelly to Vermette because they fill different roles.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

Kelly is half the salary and half the term.  Vermette is not better than Turris or Brassard.  He is close to Pageau but Pageau may continue to improve while Vermette is likely to continue to decline.  So not really much of an upgrade on the 3rd line.  So, yes, Vermette would be an upgrade over Lazar or Paul as the 4th line center but that's the spot where you want your young players to learn the game, so getting a veteran who won't mind playing just 30-40 games is the move you make.

You can't just compare Kelly to Vermette  because they fill different roles.
Vermette can play the wing also.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

True. But so can Kelly. We have Hoffman, MacArthur, Smith as the top-9 left wingers, with Dzingel and Puempel fighting it out for the 4th line. Then we have Kelly and Paul, who both can play the wing. If MacArthur can't play at his previous level then, yes, Vermette would be an upgrade over Kelly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum