GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Boston Bruins @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm Oct. 18th, 2008

+9
Acrobat
COLLAR UP
Sens4thecup
beerandsens
Number Twenty Nine
PTFlea
PKC
wprager
shabbs
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sens host the Bruins tonight after a 6-3 win over the Coyotes last night. They let up in the 3rd, hopefully we won't see that again.

Auld to start? Anyone know?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is it anyone's guess who starts in goal? I'd go with Gerber, even though I haven't been exactly complimentary of him lately (last night excepted). Sure, it's two games in two nights, and he faced quite a bit of rubber last night, but he's had two strong games in a row (I still think he should have had a star last night) and after a week off he's rested enough to start two in a row. There will be plenty of opportunities to play Auld in the near future. Keep with the hot hand.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I don't see why you wouldn't give it to Auld. Almost every single team plays their backup goalie in back to back situations. Hell, the Rangers even played Valiquette last night so that they could keep Lundqvist for today -- and I dare say that Lundqvist is a goalie I'd start in 82 games if I could.
I don't understand how it would create any controversy outside of the sensationalist sports media.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:I don't see why you wouldn't give it to Auld. Almost every single team plays their backup goalie in back to back situations. Hell, the Rangers even played Valiquette last night so that they could keep Lundqvist for today -- and I dare say that Lundqvist is a goalie I'd start in 82 games if I could.
I don't understand how it would create any controversy outside of the sensationalist sports media.

Did you listen to TGOR? I think it was Panger (Friday) and they asked him straight out -- what do you do? His answer was that you've got two not-quite-#1 goalies who have both shown in the past to be able to go on a hot streak for a decent-sized run. The only thing to do in that situation is to keep playing the hot hand. Right now that's Gerber.

As for starting a goalie 82 games, works great for the regular season. Brodeur was out of gas last year and it showed. It's a different "game" today with all the gym work and ice-time workouts. You simply cannot expect a goalie to perform at his peak level after playing 70+ games. In a kind of weird way, if one of our two gets hot heading into the playoffs we could go far.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

They might both be not-quite-#1 goalies, but we have one designated as our number one and the other as his backup. I don't give a Dung about hot hands. Unless one of them is rocking 2 or more straight shutouts, it should be Gerber 55 games, Auld 27 games (or thereabouts) -- with the bulk of Auld's games coming in back to back situations and 4 games in 6 nights type things.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Starting Auld makes sense since it's back to back and they have a busy schedule for the next few games.

But, it's Gerber that gets the start!

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/10/18/7129636.html

Interesting.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:I don't see why you wouldn't give it to Auld. Almost every single team plays their backup goalie in back to back situations. Hell, the Rangers even played Valiquette last night so that they could keep Lundqvist for today -- and I dare say that Lundqvist is a goalie I'd start in 82 games if I could.

I agree, this is a perfect opportunity to get Auld out there - he needs some work too! But at the same time, we've played only one game in a week, so Gerber should still be fairly fresh and mentally focussed. I'm okay with the decision to go with Gerber tonight, but I want to see Auld get a game in in the next 7 days.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Alfredsson in or out tonight?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

In.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let's kill those B's.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:

I agree, this is a perfect opportunity to get Auld out there - he needs some work too! But at the same time, we've played only one game in a week, so Gerber should still be fairly fresh and mentally focussed. I'm okay with the decision to go with Gerber tonight, but I want to see Auld get a game in in the next 7 days.

Except as has been pointed out, Gerber is our #1 (capabilities aside) and once your #1 (who's not really a #1 and has had problems with confidence) gets on a roll you keep going with him.

Anyhow, I called it, I was right. Where's the Bronx Cheer icon?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Quiet in here ... too quiet.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Boston up 1-0 early after a weird tip in. Gerber had no chance.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Foligno puts a beauty in the top corner to make it 1-1.

Sweet goal.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lee got caught watching the puck and it almost resulted in a goal by Boston. Yikes. What was that?

Horrible PP by the Sens. Brutal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum