GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Boston Bruins @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm Oct. 18th, 2008

+9
Acrobat
COLLAR UP
Sens4thecup
beerandsens
Number Twenty Nine
PTFlea
PKC
wprager
shabbs
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hartsburg ain't pleased...

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/10/19/7132866-sun.html

Let the Donkey kicking begin!

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore

I'm not pleased either. That was a brutal game. Hopefully we don't see this version of the Sens for every back to back game situation. It's already been said, we just didn't look as gritty and hardworking as earlier this year. I really noticed Smith playing well on his shifts. He was a great pick up. Kuba got another assist. I know it's early, but he's second in the league in defensive scoring with 7 assists. He is only a +1. I like him so far, I'm just having trouble figuring out how good he is defensively...

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore

He is only a +1
Maybe saying he is only a +1 was misleading. I checked and Kuba's +1 is 4th best on the Sens.

...and before you ask, I don't have the ability to edit the post from this specific computer, hence the quick reply.

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

So much for "Ottawa is going to be a tough team to play against." So many questions. Why is Ruutu put on the fourth line, especially after the night he had on Friday? Where was Neil? Neil wasn't playing his role again and is making a case for himself to be trade bait. Why wasn't Chara's hit on Winchester retaliated? Now, I'm not saying someone should pick a fight with the big goon, but someone should have sent a message back that it's not right to take liberties on our teammates. One more thing, it baffles me why Bass was sent down to Bingo? He seems to have the same drive that Foligno has. Which could provide a spark.

Where the hell is Fisher??? Am I the only guy questioning whether or not this guy should be sitting in the press box? McAmmond has been more effective then this guy! He has been invisable, soft and just ineffective. Same with Vermette.

Spezza has been this teams best all around player the last 2 games, and best defensive forward! This team may still need another face lift or two.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Beerandsens, Neely and Sens4Cup:

I agree with what you guys wrote.

But I think I have a different outlook right now. I think this loss was a good thing believe it or not. There's no way these Front Bum little efforts will be accepted by Hartsburg. I knew after the game and now his comments are enough to guarantee that he'll be putting guys in their places and insisting that the forecheck gets better and that we get more rough on opponent's D.

The hierarchy of what we need to 100% compete doesn't change in my mind.

1.Top 6 forward who when he steps on the ice makes the other team cringe.
2.One D-man who has the ability to clear the zone. I'm not impressed with Lee or Picard right now - and putting them together is a recipe for disaster.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Yep. Teams (hopefully) learn from losses like that. Newish Sun article on the game here: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/10/19/7132866-sun.html

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm glad he's pissed. I hope this translates into us going back to the way we played against Pittsburgh (in both games). Make them pay for coming into our zone and make the defenders pay when the puck's in their zone. That's what we need to do to be successful - unless there's a trade for some kickarse imaginary top line forward to jumpstart the unbelievably frustrating Fisher and Vermette.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I Dung you not, could we acquire Nylander?

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I'd think it's realistic. At what price?

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:I Dung you not, could we acquire Nylander?

You know...I have been thinking that for a while now...but never posted it as Nylander is a 4.875 cap hit.

But as I think about it more and more...it could work without giving up too much...

Vermette for Nylander...

Vermette just isn't going to be the player I'd hoped...every year I try to convine myself that he is going to do it...that this is the year...unfortunately I am beginning to see that he just isn't going to make that jump...so to me this deal works out nicely...

you could of course swap Vermette for Kelly...which would also work nicely for both teams...

To Ottawa: Nylander

To Washington: Vermette OR Kelly

Lee is not what i expected this year. he has looked awful and like he doesnt belong. Bell should be getting the call fairly soon if this continues with the weak play in our own zone and lack of offensive output. Lee isnt getting the PP time, looks like he is scared out there and is getting knocked off the puck, he belongs in Bingo right now.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Bang on there Neely. I was impressed by Lee last playoff, but figured he was still call up material. I figure if our D was deeper management would have preferred to let him develop in Bingo, where he still belongs IMO. I hope I'm wrong and that we don't end up looking back and realizing that this was the point that really hurt his growth.

Bell didn't look any better when I saw him in the preseason... is Richardson better at this point? I doubt it. Tough call for me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sens4thecup wrote:So much for "Ottawa is going to be a tough team to play against." So many questions. Why is Ruutu put on the fourth line, especially after the night he had on Friday? Where was Neil? Neil wasn't playing his role again and is making a case for himself to be trade bait. Why wasn't Chara's hit on Winchester retaliated? Now, I'm not saying someone should pick a fight with the big goon, but someone should have sent a message back that it's not right to take liberties on our teammates. One more thing, it baffles me why Bass was sent down to Bingo? He seems to have the same drive that Foligno has. Which could provide a spark.

Agree about the Chara hit, but I thought Neil had a decent game, hitting everything in sight.

beerandsens wrote:Bang on there Neely. I was impressed by Lee last playoff, but figured he was still call up material. I figure if our D was deeper management would have preferred to let him develop in Bingo, where he still belongs IMO. I hope I'm wrong and that we don't end up looking back and realizing that this was the point that really hurt his growth.

Bell didn't look any better when I saw him in the preseason... is Richardson better at this point? I doubt it. Tough call for me.

There was a lot more offensive upside with Bell in the pre season then Lee. Bell was at least creating some things, Lee has done nothing, absolutly nothing. He cant run a PP, and we arnt keeping him up here for his steller D, why not give Bell a shot, he may surprise without the concern of getting sent back down on his head. I'm all for trying some new things out this year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:
There was a lot more offensive upside with Bell in the pre season then Lee. Bell was at least creating some things, Lee has done nothing, absolutly nothing. He cant run a PP, and we arnt keeping him up here for his steller D, why not give Bell a shot, he may surprise without the concern of getting sent back down on his head. I'm all for trying some new things out this year.

He does look like he needs a little more seasoning. But don't you also think that putting him out there with another rook (pretty much) might have something to do with it? They should bring up Richardson and alternate Lee/Picard playing with the vet until one shows significant upside over the other.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

COLLAR UP wrote:
504Heater wrote:I Dung you not, could we acquire Nylander?

You know...I have been thinking that for a while now...but never posted it as Nylander is a 4.875 cap hit.

But as I think about it more and more...it could work without giving up too much...

Vermette for Nylander...

Vermette just isn't going to be the player I'd hoped...every year I try to convine myself that he is going to do it...that this is the year...unfortunately I am beginning to see that he just isn't going to make that jump...so to me this deal works out nicely...

you could of course swap Vermette for Kelly...which would also work nicely for both teams...

To Ottawa: Nylander

To Washington: Vermette OR Kelly

Deal. Vermette is a dynamic PKer with blinding speed - who would probably line up well with the guys in Washington. The Caps paid Fedorov big $$ to be the 2nd line center - Vermette works out to a more affordable 2nd/3rd line center for the Caps - and they save 2 million and get a year reprieve at the end.

We'd have to entertain deals for Nylander before the 3rd year of his contract - but that's life.

We'd probably have to add something to Vermette. Not much, but possibly a Schubert. There you go:

Vermette
Schubert
Possible mid level pick

for
Nylander

If offered, I take this trade. We have guys like Bass, Smith etc. etc. etc. who would be quite good killing penalties - we acquire (and are able to keep) Nylander as a bonafide 2nd line center to play with Alfie. Winchester and Foligno get permanent addresses in the top 6 (which they deserve IMO) and Kelly plays with Fisher and Neil on line 3.

Balances checking and scoring quite nicely IMO.

***Note: I do not, nor will I write off our secondary scoring (Vermette, Fisher etc. etc.) but I like this deal and the skill level it brings.

EDIT: Nylander has a NTC - careful here, this could handcuff the Sens this summer or more importantly the summer after. Gotta be cautious (I'd still do it though).

Last edited by 504Heater on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
He does look like he needs a little more seasoning. But don't you also think that putting him out there with another rook (pretty much) might have something to do with it? They should bring up Richardson and alternate Lee/Picard playing with the vet until one shows significant upside over the other.

Agreed.

Number 1: Move him away from Picard. Picard and Kuba had/have good chemistry from the PP and from TB - put them together and keep them together.

Number 2: Smith and Lee just makes too much sense to ignore.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum