GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Lightning @ Sens - Thursday, Apr 2nd, 7:30pm, TSN5, RDS2

+5
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
tim1_2
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Good point by Pierre Mcguire this morning, Pittsburgh is playing really bad and could lose to Columbus and Philly this week end, which means we can pass them on tuesday if we win both our games.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

LeCaptain wrote:
NEELY wrote:Ill seriously laugh in the face of any human who thinks Wiercioch isn't a better player than Cowen.

Forget Cowen and the OT goal (huge goal), you seriously think Wiercioch had a good game?

He was solid, didn't do anything that reall stood out but he and Ceci were solid. That was the best offense in the NHL they played last night and held them to limited chances.

Wiercioch isn't going to push anyone over or beat anyone up and down the ice but he's playing the position the way he needs to so he can be successful and he's getting better basically every game. Imagine how he's going to look with 300 games under his belt without the fear of coming out of the lineup on any given night.

You aren't seeing a star being born and I won't pretend he's going to be one either but you are seeing a top 4 D man in the making. There will be mistakes along the way but not the same ones over and over and over.

My biggest hangup has always been Cowen getting the ice time over Wiercioch when neither guy was established and Wiercioch was being trashed by everyone but myself basically. Cowen could do no wrong and Wiercioch can't do anything right, that was the situation in a nut shell. What you are seeing now is the cream rising to the top IMO and this is vindication for Wiercioch because he's a very good player with a ton of tools and a decent tool box.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Also add in the fact that all 3 of Wiercioch's goals this year have been enormous and the Sens maybe don't win all 3 of those games if he isn't in the lineup and thus out of the playoffs. Detroit was the winner, Carolina was a game tie'er, and last night was an OT winner.

The guys offense is coming along, the Sens need a LH option on the PP where he again, is getting more reps, time, and confidence and it will come along with the PP in general. Goes hand in hand with his offense. Not to mention he's right up the in terms of moving the puck up ice with Karlsson. (not skating it up ice or joining the rush).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:Good point by Pierre Mcguire this morning, Pittsburgh is playing really bad and could lose to Columbus and Philly this week end, which means we can pass them on tuesday if we win both our games.

*IF* we win both our games then there's an excellent chance we pass Detroit (they are playing the Wild and the Caps).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:
NEELY wrote:Ill seriously laugh in the face of any human who thinks Wiercioch isn't a better player than Cowen.

Forget Cowen and the OT goal (huge goal), you seriously think Wiercioch had a good game?

He was solid, didn't do anything that reall stood out but he and Ceci were solid.  That was the best offense in the NHL they played last night and held them to limited chances.

Wiercioch isn't going to push anyone over or beat anyone up and down the ice but he's playing the position the way he needs to so he can be successful and he's getting better basically every game.  Imagine how he's going to look with 300 games under his belt without the fear of coming out of the lineup on any given night.

You aren't seeing a star being born and I won't pretend he's going to be one either but you are seeing a top 4 D man in the making.  There will be mistakes along the way but not the same ones over and over and over.  

My biggest hangup has always been Cowen getting the ice time over Wiercioch when neither guy was established and Wiercioch was being trashed by everyone but myself basically.  Cowen could do no wrong and Wiercioch can't do anything right, that was the situation in a nut shell.  What you are seeing now is the cream rising to the top IMO and this is vindication for Wiercioch because he's a very good player with a ton of tools and a decent tool box.

I take exception with a couple things. First, the Bolts were missing Hedman (who starts a lot of their offense) and Johnson (who finishes it). They still have lots of pieces, of course, not the least of them being Stamkos, but still, this was not "the best offense in the NHL". Second, I've always supported Wiercioch, and if you check out the advanced guys on twitter so have they. They were the *biggest* supporters of Wiercioch over Cowen. More than you.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Also add in the fact that all 3 of Wiercioch's goals this year have been enormous and the Sens maybe don't win all 3 of those games if he isn't in the lineup and thus out of the playoffs.  Detroit was the winner, Carolina was a game tie'er, and last night was an OT winner.

The guys offense is coming along, the Sens need a LH option on the PP where he again, is getting more reps, time, and confidence and it will come along with the PP in general.  Goes hand in hand with his offense.  Not to mention he's right up the in terms of moving the puck up ice with Karlsson. (not skating it up ice or joining the rush).

Both Wiercioch and Ceci have a lot more offensive upside than either has shown, to-date. There's a lot of room there to grow. And if you recall, when Ceci first started out, something like the first 5 of his pro goals were GWG. Wonder what that means.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

He was solid, didn't do anything that reall stood out but he and Ceci were solid.  That was the best offense in the NHL they played last night and held them to limited chances.

Wiercioch isn't going to push anyone over or beat anyone up and down the ice but he's playing the position the way he needs to so he can be successful and he's getting better basically every game.  Imagine how he's going to look with 300 games under his belt without the fear of coming out of the lineup on any given night.

You aren't seeing a star being born and I won't pretend he's going to be one either but you are seeing a top 4 D man in the making.  There will be mistakes along the way but not the same ones over and over and over.  

My biggest hangup has always been Cowen getting the ice time over Wiercioch when neither guy was established and Wiercioch was being trashed by everyone but myself basically.  Cowen could do no wrong and Wiercioch can't do anything right, that was the situation in a nut shell.  What you are seeing now is the cream rising to the top IMO and this is vindication for Wiercioch because he's a very good player with a ton of tools and a decent tool box.

I take exception with a couple things.  First, the Bolts were missing Hedman (who starts a lot of their offense) and Johnson (who finishes it).  They still have lots of pieces, of course, not the least of them being Stamkos, but still, this was not "the best offense in the NHL".  Second, I've always supported Wiercioch, and if you check out the advanced guys on twitter so have they.  They were the *biggest* supporters of Wiercioch over Cowen.  More than you.

There were things the stats guys were preaching about Wiercioch that were complete BS because where he was lacking and still in a way is lacking is play without the puck. He's much better being assertive in his own zone and being in the right position since being given consistent time to play and develop by Cameron. That said the assertiveness will always be a battle with Wiercioch but it's night and day to where he was.

Wiercioch is a 6'5 D man who has a lot of offensive upside and they don't grow on trees. I can't wait to see where he is after 300 games and when he really finds his stride because I think Ottawa has a really solid 2nd pairing with him and Ceci if they are given consistent minutes and time like they have been.

Ottawa still needs to sign a D man to play 15-20 mins a night because as much as I like what Gryba has done they need a more mobile guy back there with Boroweicki I believe. But maybe they just let this group grow because despite earlier struggles with the group as a whole these guys on the blueline have been really, really good as a group the last 2 1/2 months. Maybe Wideman is the guy they bring in as the #7 next year and he grinds out some minutes and forces his way into the lineup, that could also happen.

The only guy who continues to struggle no matter what he's given is Cowen. The only way he saves his career is somewhere else because he has been pushed down to #7 and as a guy making 3 mil plus going forward he's wasted in that #7 position.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, can't really argue. There's pros and cons to Wiercioch, but his puck movement is a strong plus.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Someone last posted a very alarming stat. The Sens were being outshot 8-0 with Gryba on and 9-0 with Boro on (or maybe the reverse). Probably not their best game. Neither one really has the foot-speed to keep up with the top-echelon teams, so it wouldn't hurt Ottawa to have someone like Wideman around, eve if only as a 7th. Gives them the flexibility to adjust for teams like Boston vs. teams like Tampa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum