GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!!

+16
SensHulk
sandysensfan
Oglethorpe
asq2
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
Flo The Action
wprager
LeCaptain
Ev
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
NEELY
M_Christopher
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 22]

151Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:58 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I'm sure he and his agent expected to negotiate.  I'm not sure he expected to be lowballed again, assuming he would take a home team discount.

If you're a free agent, and you ask for $6M and a team counters with $4M...guess what, you're moving on to the next team.

We counted on Alfie's attachment to the city and it burned us big time.

Again, negotiate.  If you don't like it tell them that you won't settle for a penny less than 5.5 million, then leave.  But at least give negotiations a quick chance.  He doesn't owe the organization anything, but what a Cussing cowardly, crappy way to Dung on your legacy.  Barf!  Looks bad, Alfie.  Looks bad.

As others have written, Alfie didn't want to give the Sens an ultimatum like that.  He didn't want to force them to pay him, knowing that then they wouldn't be getting anyone else of value.  

The fact of the matter is that if we didn't have a "budget", we'd have Alfie, Ryan, MacArthur and who knows who else.  Alfie knew we were hindered by the low budget, and went somewhere where money is no object.  

That's an assumption at best.

152Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:59 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Yah, I don't think it's as cut and dry and you are making it out to be. I think Alfie got crappy advice from his agent, I think the Sens counted on Alfie basically making the deal himself, I think he had the Swedes in his ear back in Sweden, I think he wasn't sold on staying in Ottawa after his career was over.

All those lead to a poor decision on Aflie's part (yet to be seen) but I can safely say it wasn't well thought out on Aflie's end. It was an emotional decision and those are always the worst.

You are right when you say it was likely an emotional decision. He felt insulted, and it should have never come to that. If we aren't a cheap arsed budget team, he isn't insulted, and he doesn't leave.

153Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

So that's an excuse for making a bad decision? People murder because of emotion but there is always a reason behind it, doesn't make it right. You understand it but it doesn't make it any less of a mistake. Obviously an extreme example but quickest one I thought of. Anyways, he's always had trouble controlling that kind of thing and IMO it probably cost him a legacy and you know what? With Alfie is Ottawa it may have cost him a cup. We'll see about that though.

154Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
NEELY wrote:Yah, I don't think it's as cut and dry and you are making it out to be.  I think Alfie got crappy advice from his agent, I think the Sens counted on Alfie basically making the deal himself, I think he had the Swedes in his ear back in Sweden, I think he wasn't sold on staying in Ottawa after his career was over.

All those lead to a poor decision on Aflie's part (yet to be seen) but I can safely say it wasn't well thought out on Aflie's end.  It was an emotional decision and those are always the worst.

You are right when you say it was likely an emotional decision.  He felt insulted, and it should have never come to that.  If we aren't a cheap arsed budget team, he isn't insulted, and he doesn't leave.

Then again, I can say if alfie was more loyal and truly wanted to stick in ottawa, he would have given Murray another chance on thursday night.

155Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:06 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yah, no idea why, if everything Tim is saying is true, Alfie couldn't hold off a day or two but it is what it is now. Alfie is the enemy, simple as that. Whether it's Subban, Kadri, Chara, and now Alfie, it doesn't matter because none of them wear the Ottawa sweater.

156Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

He wasn't all that keen on coming back to Ottawa and the Sens didn't do anything to entice him.  They didn't give him a lot of money, they didn't/couldn't make significant additions to the roster for a serious playoff push.
None of that excited a guy who badly wants to win before he gets too old.

He was loyal for 17 seasons and all it got him was 1 SCF appearance. He probably realized that loyalty hasn't gotten him a Cup.

157Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:13 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Yah, no idea why, if everything Tim is saying is true, Alfie couldn't hold off a day or two but it is what it is now. Alfie is the enemy, simple as that. Whether it's Subban, Kadri, Chara, and now Alfie, it doesn't matter because none of them wear the Ottawa sweater.

I'll chant Alfie's name when he returns.

If the Sens aren't lifting the cup in 11 months, I hope Alfie is.

158Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:17 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yah well Detroit is going to be walking through their division like they have in the past either. Everyone in the central was built to beat Detroit in the late 90's all the way until the mid 2000's but they are not that same power house anymore. Detroit now has to go into a division where they play Ottawa, Toronto, and Boston 18 times (minimum) and with an older team like that will take a constant pounding during the regular season that they haven't seen in years. They don't get the luxury of playing Columbus, Nashville, and St.Louis where the people and fans don't really care unless they are winning... they have the spotlight on them all the time now and not just an after thought in terms of who they are playing.

Detroit is in tough this year and I wouldn't even be surprised if they missed the playoffs.

159Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:21 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Yah well Detroit is going to be walking through their division like they have in the past either.  Everyone in the central was built to beat Detroit in the late 90's all the way until the mid 2000's but they are not that same power house anymore.  Detroit now has to go into a division where they play Ottawa, Toronto, and Boston 18 times (minimum) and with an older team like that will take a constant pounding during the regular season that they haven't seen in years.  They don't get the luxury of playing Columbus, Nashville, and St.Louis where the people and fans don't really care unless they are winning... they have the spotlight on them all the time now and not just an after thought in terms of who they are playing.

Detroit is in tough this year and I wouldn't even be surprised if they missed the playoffs.

Hehe. Yeah and then get a creampuff team in round 1 of the playoffs for their trouble (Phoenix is another freebee they faced). Incredible how it's spun the other way around by "experts" who think they will have it easy after playing in the "tougher" Western Conference.

160Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think the Wings are in for a major shock and knowing how their team is built they are going to hate it. Datsyuk will get attention he never thought he could get and rightfully so, he's a top 3 player on the planet. Lets see if he lives up to that.

161Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:26 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

After more reflection, I have decided that Robert Bobby is gonna score 45.

162Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll say he hits 40 if everything goes right - ie Spezza's health, Karlsson's health etc.

163Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Yah, I don't think it's as cut and dry and you are making it out to be.  I think Alfie got crappy advice from his agent, I think the Sens counted on Alfie basically making the deal himself, I think he had the Swedes in his ear back in Sweden, I think he wasn't sold on staying in Ottawa after his career was over.

All those lead to a poor decision on Aflie's part (yet to be seen) but I can safely say it wasn't well thought out on Aflie's end.  It was an emotional decision and those are always the worst.

He could have gotten a 15% raise very easily by firing his agent. I mean, what does he need -- the term is set (1 year), just settle on the amount. Do you really need to spend 15% of that on the agent?

Last time I checked, Brodeur was still going to retire as a Devil, and he's been underpaid way more than Alfie.

164Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:I'm sure he and his agent expected to negotiate.  I'm not sure he expected to be lowballed again, assuming he would take a home team discount.

If you're a free agent, and you ask for $6M and a team counters with $4M...guess what, you're moving on to the next team.

We counted on Alfie's attachment to the city and it burned us big time.

Or you counter with $5M and a 2 year term.

Last edited by wprager on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

165Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:34 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

He could have gotten a 15% raise very easily by firing his agent.  I mean, what does he need -- the term is set (1 year), just settle on the amount.  Do you really need to spend 15% of that on the agent?  

Last time I checked, Brodeur was still going to retire as a Devil, and he's been underpaid way more than Alfie.

Haha. Entire teams were built to make this guy look better than he is. The Alfie never had that.

166Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:15 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

B-Rye on leafs lunch (love his comments)

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=20332&id=13

167Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:38 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Please check your facts before spouting nonsense. Brodeur's made $74Mish from the Devils, Alfie has made $55Mish from the Sens, although Brodeur does have a couple extra years in there. I'm pretty sure if I went back and ran the numbers, Alfie probably could have made in the neighbourhood of $10M - $15M more via free agency if he had taken the opportunity.

168Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 11 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:45 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:B-Rye on leafs lunch (love his comments)

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=20332&id=13

Who were those idiots interviewing him...ohhh boy..."Canaata". Oh, never mind..."Bobby Hayes" and Jeff O'Neill. Facepalm 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum