GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!!

+16
SensHulk
sandysensfan
Oglethorpe
asq2
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
Flo The Action
wprager
LeCaptain
Ev
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
NEELY
M_Christopher
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 22]

106Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:I'll admit I jumped on the Anti-Melynk Bandwagon, but finding out Melnyk was willing to pay Alfie, MacArthur, Ryan and still allow Murray to continue his search for a Vet. Dman says all we need to know about where our spending lies.

Whoever said 'spend smartly' is right.

As for Ryan to Philly...it's Philly that was ball-deep after Ryan, not Ryan showing any love to try and get to Philly. Ryan just wanted the trade talk to end, either with a trade or vote of confidence.

Hilarious that you've bought into what Murray said.  The Ryan trade was made AFTER Alfie had signed with Detroit.  There's a reason for this.  Maybe if Murray makes that trade at the draft, Alfie sticks around.  

There are three teams spending less than the Sens in the NHL.

You can believe what you want. Murray only offered the 1st rounder after alfie left, yes. Who's to say he wouldn't have made that same deal even after alfie signed on the dotted line?

I don't deny Melnyk has some money issues, but I just don't see it playing out like this where they wouldn't sign the heart and soul of the franchise over a million bucks dispute.

107Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:13 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Alfie leaving put the Sens over a barrel and Murray had to upgrade the 2nd to a 1st. Anaheim wanted Zibanejad, Noesen and a 1st, Murray countered with Sifverberg, Noesen and 2nd. If Alfie had come back there's no guarantee that Murray would have gotten his way, but at least he would have still had a chance. With Alfie gone the Ducks knew he had lost.

Like I said in another post -- this deal would have been made one way or another, and Alfie leaving just cost us a 1st.

Maybe Alfie was just upset that they were willing to upgrade the 1st line while taking Silfverberg off the 2nd. At this point Alfie is a 2nd line player.

108Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:18 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:I'll admit I jumped on the Anti-Melynk Bandwagon, but finding out Melnyk was willing to pay Alfie, MacArthur, Ryan and still allow Murray to continue his search for a Vet. Dman says all we need to know about where our spending lies.

As for Ryan to Philly...it's Philly that was ball-deep after Ryan, not Ryan showing any love to try and get to Philly. Ryan just wanted the trade talk to end, either with a trade or vote of confidence.

Hilarious that you've bought into what Murray said.  The Ryan trade was made AFTER Alfie had signed with Detroit.  There's a reason for this.  Maybe if Murray makes that trade at the draft, Alfie sticks around.  

You can believe what you want. Murray only offered the 1st rounder after alfie left, yes. Who's to say he wouldn't have made that same deal even after alfie signed on the dotted line?

I don't deny Melnyk has some money issues, but I just don't see it playing out like this where they wouldn't sign the heart and soul of the franchise over a million bucks dispute.

Why would you wait until Alfie left to make the Ryan deal...that put us in the WORST possible negotiating position, with Anaheim KNOWING that we needed to pull the trigger. We HAD to make the trade Friday afternoon because we had a PR apocalypse on our hands.

109Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:23 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think you are laying too little blame on Alfie here big guy.

110Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:29 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

You can believe what you want.  Murray only offered the 1st rounder after alfie left, yes.  Who's to say he wouldn't have made that same deal even after alfie signed on the dotted line?  

Why would you wait until Alfie left to make the Ryan deal...that put us in the WORST possible negotiating position, with Anaheim KNOWING that we needed to pull the trigger.  We HAD to make the trade Friday afternoon because we had a PR apocalypse on our hands.

I'm not denying that. This is an example of sens taking alfie for granted and taking their sweet time. But the deal was in works before alfie bolted.

111Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:35 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:I think you are laying too little blame on Alfie here big guy.

I am surprised that Alfie was so quick to leave, uprooting his entire family from Ottawa.

This is a guy that has spent most of 17 years being a good soldier for Ottawa, and he felt like the franchise owed him...or at least owed him market value (for once). I agree with him.

That said, if it were me, I'd like to think that I would swallow my pride and accept 1 year $4M.

Perhaps Alfie had already planned to move back to Sweden after his career here, which made the choice to leave Ottawa for Detroit easier.

Regardless, I feel that more blame needs to be placed at the feet of Melnyk and his 'budget' as opposed to Alfie.

112Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:40 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is at the end of the day it was the decision of Alfredsson and not the Senators that he uprooted his family and changed teams... maybe if he didn't come out and say things like "they have more LH centers" I would lean a little more onto his side.

IMO he messed up and now he has to play Ottawa 6 times this year at least. Could be hard for him and a total distraction to the Wings if they meet the Sens in the playoffs because it will be all about him... again. Imagine a 1st round matchup with Ottawa? Sens are looking to prove a points as a whole... the Wings? Who cares, it's about Alfie coming home in the playoffs. I'll be honest, I can't see anyway that matchup ends badly for Ottawa.

113Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:43 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Maybe, maybe not.  All I know is at the end of the day it was the decision of Alfredsson and not the Senators that he uprooted his family and changed teams... maybe if he didn't come out and say things like "they have more LH centers" I would lean a little more onto his side.  

IMO he messed up and now he has to play Ottawa 6 times this year at least.  Could be hard for him and a total distraction to the Wings if they meet the Sens in the playoffs because it will be all about him... again.  Imagine a 1st round matchup with Ottawa?  Sens are looking to prove a points as a whole... the Wings?  Who cares, it's about Alfie coming home in the playoffs.  I'll be honest, I can't see anyway that matchup ends badly for Ottawa.

If Ottawa and Detroit meet in the Conference Finals, I would like to see Detroit and, more importantly, The Alfie, go to the Finals. Wings are a classy organization that you can really cheer for and it would be real nice to see The Alfie hoist Lord Stanley's mug.

114Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:44 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Thank God I know you're kidding.

115Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:46 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I don't blame him for wanting his family in detroit with him, but if he's not going to come to live in ottawa, then all that 'ottawa is a permanent home' was a lie.

There were signs of frustration for alfie. Go back to 2012 playoffs when he went ballistic on the bench. Then this past playoffs when he proclaimed 'probably not'. We all knew he was wrong to do it, yet we (including myself) rationalized with what he was trying to say, or whatever excuse we could think of. How does the mind change so quickly in less than a week?

I'm going to rationalize this with another line of thinking. Alfie wanted a challenge and wanted something different. he didn't just want to be the old shepard of the young flock he's been for the past 3-4 seasons. This was also the very fist and last opportunity for him to test free agency and so he knew that he wouldn't be back in ottawa when the season ended, if he was to play again. Why else would he start with such a high demand for salary and within a matter of 2-3 days make his decision to leave? i thought negotiations were give and take...

116Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:Maybe, maybe not.  All I know is at the end of the day it was the decision of Alfredsson and not the Senators that he uprooted his family and changed teams... maybe if he didn't come out and say things like "they have more LH centers" I would lean a little more onto his side.  

IMO he messed up and now he has to play Ottawa 6 times this year at least.  Could be hard for him and a total distraction to the Wings if they meet the Sens in the playoffs because it will be all about him... again.  Imagine a 1st round matchup with Ottawa?  Sens are looking to prove a points as a whole... the Wings?  Who cares, it's about Alfie coming home in the playoffs.  I'll be honest, I can't see anyway that matchup ends badly for Ottawa.

If Ottawa and Detroit meet in the Conference Finals, I would like to see Detroit and, more importantly, The Alfie, go to the Finals. Wings are a classy organization that you can really cheer for and it would be real nice to see The Alfie hoist Lord Stanley's mug.

They'll win the Cup, AND draft a huge steal in the 6th round at the draft.

117Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

They'll win the Cup, AND draft a huge steal in the 6th round at the draft.

Just like every year. Amazing!

118Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:48 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Thank god with the new playoff structure, it will be impossible for Alfie and the wings to meet the sens in the conference finals.....unless one of them becomes the elusive 5th team.

119Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:51 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yah, Detroit hasn't hit any real late round gems in a while that's for sure. Hopefully the Sens start really finding their stride and Detroit starts looking old and disinterested at some point. Their fall from grace started last season and hopefully it continues.

120Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:
You can believe what you want.  Murray only offered the 1st rounder after alfie left, yes.  Who's to say he wouldn't have made that same deal even after alfie signed on the dotted line?  

Murray's original plan was to resign Alfie and sign Clarkson. He had to sign both within the budget.

He traded for Ryan after Alfie was leaving, the money going to him went to Ryan. Obviously Murray had to pull off something to try and counteract Alfie leaving. He also got MacArthur.

121Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:01 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Murray's original plan was to resign Alfie and sign Clarkson.  He had to sign both within the budget.

He traded for Ryan after Alfie was leaving, the money going to him went to Ryan.  Obviously Murray had to pull off something to try and counteract Alfie leaving.  He also got MacArthur.

Good point. Forgot about Clarkson. He wanted alfie and clarkson, and hypothetically if he got alfie signed but not clarkson, then he would have traded for Ryan IMO.

Who knows the true story. I'm just not going to sit around listening to dribble spewed from dbags like yost or senschirp.

122Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:08 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Murray would tell you that his target was Clarkson, but I have a feeling that we never put an offer on the table that would have put us in serious consideration. Might've been a PR move more than anything to make it look like we can spend some dough.

Anyway, I am happy with the MacArthur and Ryan additions, and it sure would've been sweet to have Alfie back too.

123Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Bobby FING Ryan to Ottawa!! Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Too bad Alfie didn't believe in us and didn't want to return. Other than that, yeah it would have been nice to have him back.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum