GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: When will the NHL lockout end?

+8
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
spader
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
Hoags
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

POLL: When will the NHL lockout end?

POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_lcap20%POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_lcap27%POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 1 ]
POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_lcap221%POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 21% [ 3 ]
POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_lcap236%POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 36% [ 5 ]
POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_lcap27%POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 1 ]
POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_lcap229%POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 29% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

61POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:00 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:A Jan. 1st start could see a season that is close to 60 games. I think they suggested 56 games or something could be done.

A 48-game season just seems so odd and more like a cash grab than anything else.

How about a 29-game season... each team plays each other once. What a joke that would be.

Ridiculous frustration at the lockout aside, I'd be happy with pretty much any NHL hockey. That said, if it gets to a point where a 48 game season isn't possible, that's when Bettman just cans the entire season. 48 games is decent enough, I think.

The obvious problem with a short season is that any injury to an important player can pretty much seal your fate. Like if Spezza goes down early on…it could get ugly. Slow starts would also be fatal. But this applies evenly to every team, so you just gotta hope for the best.

62POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:16 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Saw someone propose this the other day, an end to the lockout in a week:

Mon: Training Camp
Tue: Regular Season
Wed: All Star Game
Thu: Playoffs
Fri: Parade

Done.

63POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:A Jan. 1st start could see a season that is close to 60 games. I think they suggested 56 games or something could be done.

A 48-game season just seems so odd and more like a cash grab than anything else.

How about a 29-game season... each team plays each other once. What a joke that would be.

A round-robin, in other words.

64POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:30 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I doubt it would just be a cash grab. I just can't see them doing that to the best fans in the world.

65POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

48 was only mentioned as a drop-dead number because that's how many games they played in the shortened season. It's just precedent. They've done 48 games in the past so I guess they couldn't really say that they are not willing to play anything less than, say, 50 games.

They make most of their profits from the ASG, Winter Classic, Heritage game and the playoffs (when players don't get paid). Only 16 teams make a dime from the post-season, and the other "cash grab" events are gone.

I think a shortened season, right now, is for salvaging the league and future revenues (appeasing the fans, sponsors, NBC) and not about making money for the owners.

66POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:46 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Gary Bettman himself said that they have no interest in doing anything less than a 48-game season in order to maintain the integrity of the game, that's where this 48-game deadline is coming from. So he's putting a line in the sand there in some way.

As far as the integrity of the game, it's out the window with all this lockout crap fuckyouverymuch NHL and NHLPA.

I'm sure they have a drop dead date in their mind now... doing the math on a 48 game season should be pretty easy. But who knows, they may go less.

67POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He could have also arbitrarily said 50, but because they had already played a 48-game season (in a 30-team league) they had set the precedent. I'm pretty sure saying 60 games and no less would have produced the pressure to make a deal sooner, but that could have been viewed as a bit of an empty threat given that they already played a 48-game season.

68POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

IMO if talks are going nowhere.. just like todays.... then the season will be cancelled before Jan 10th.

69POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

There were no actual talks today, so they didn't go nowhere.

70POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? - Page 5 Empty Re: POLL: When will the NHL lockout end? Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:There were no actual talks today, so they didn't go nowhere.

So...you're sayin' there's a chance!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum