GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zibanejad Signs ELC

+13
SensHulk
Flo The Action
The Silfer Server
shabbs
sandysensfan
wprager
Riprock
Da lil Guy
Hoags
NEELY
PTFlea
Ev
rooneypoo
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

46Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:54 pm

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:I thought we had already established that it was either the NHL or SEL for Zibby? He can't play in the AHL.

As far as I know, he's European so the under-20 rule doesn't apply to him.

47Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:05 pm

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

Actually I don't believe he can plan in the AHL,

He has an existing contract with his club in the SEL, which I believe because of the transfer agreement 2 conditions had to be met in order for him to stay in N.A.

1. He had to be signed to a contract by July 15th.
2. He has to make the Ottawa Senators. I don't believe he can play in the AHL, unless his club releases him.

So it's either Ottawa or SEL.

48Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:Actually I don't believe he can plan in the AHL,

He has an existing contract with his club in the SEL, which I believe because of the transfer agreement 2 conditions had to be met in order for him to stay in N.A.

1. He had to be signed to a contract by July 15th.
2. He has to make the Ottawa Senators. I don't believe he can play in the AHL, unless his club releases him.

So it's either Ottawa or SEL.

No, he can play in the AHL but he first has to be given the option to go back to Sweden. That's priority #1, but if he agrees to play AHL then he can play.

Adam Larsson is in the same situtation, and both Larsson and the Devils want him to play in the AHL/NHL next year.

Also, the contract limit was August 15. July 15 was so they didn't have to pay a fee to his SEL team afterwards.

49Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

From steffeG:

Signing of guys with contracts out of Europe - July 15th

exceptions:
player that is drafted that particular year - Aug 15th

1st rounders like Mika must be presented with the opportunity to go back to Europe if they don't make the big league. Both Josefsson and Tedenby felt close enough and Devils wanted them in the AHL to be able to call them up, so they played with Albany for a while.

One condition when Silfverberg signed was that he'd be able to return to Sweden. The contract back then was just a formality to avoid losing his rights, although the Sens management are trying to do more about it.

50Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie

Under the 2007 agreement there was an additional fee if a player came over but participated in less than 30 NHL games. It wasn't daunting by NHL standards.

However, this section appeared to be the major sticking point when the deal was reopened. I can't find any indication of what actually happened, or even whether the deal was settled. There was talk of exceptions for 1st rounders, but again I don't see any indication of what (if anything) was ultimately agreed.

It appears to be a moot point, since Zibanejad doesn't seem to want to play in the AHL anyways and the team likely doesn't intend to press the issue.

51Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I might be getting bored this summer, but who the heck cares if he wants to play AHL hockey or not? I mean...if we plunk him in Bingo to start the year, there's nothing that says it's won't just be for 10-20 games while he gets acclimatized to the pros in North America. Big deal, by Xmas, he's a Sen, I'm sure of it. NOW's the time Z-Bad, now's the time. Get in there, make your presence felt in both the AHL and NHL and make it your spot going into next year's camp - whether people feel it is anyway is beside the point, he needs to piss all over the 2nd line C spot, mark his territory and that can't be done from the SEL, no matter how well he does.

I felt the same for Silfverberg, lay claim to a top 6 role and nobody will take it way from you for the next decade. Go to the SEL and you'll be in a dogfight for the spot next camp - again, whether people say he's got the spot or not, there are zero guarantees.

52Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:I might be getting bored this summer, but who the heck cares if he wants to play AHL hockey or not? I mean...if we plunk him in Bingo to start the year, there's nothing that says it's won't just be for 10-20 games while he gets acclimatized to the pros in North America. Big deal, by Xmas, he's a Sen, I'm sure of it. NOW's the time Z-Bad, now's the time. Get in there, make your presence felt in both the AHL and NHL and make it your spot going into next year's camp - whether people feel it is anyway is beside the point, he needs to piss all over the 2nd line C spot, mark his territory and that can't be done from the SEL, no matter how well he does.

I felt the same for Silfverberg, lay claim to a top 6 role and nobody will take it way from you for the next decade. Go to the SEL and you'll be in a dogfight for the spot next camp - again, whether people say he's got the spot or not, there are zero guarantees.

Calm down, the guy is 18 years old and has played 25 games of SEL. Now is not the time, it COULD be the time, but it doesn't need to be his time.

You're treating him like you did Regin last eyar, and you're not taking his development into consideration.

I said he would start the year in Ottawa, and I still think there's a good chance, but now I am not sure if that is the best thing for him. I think I'd rather him play in Sweden and at the World Juniors now.

Don't be impatient. You are not allowed to force him to play in the AHL. It's completely up to him.

53Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
Calm down, the guy is 18 years old and has played 25 games of SEL. Now is not the time, it COULD be the time, but it doesn't need to be his time.

You're treating him like you did Regin last eyar, and you're not taking his development into consideration.

I said he would start the year in Ottawa, and I still think there's a good chance, but now I am not sure if that is the best thing for him. I think I'd rather him play in Sweden and at the World Juniors now.

Don't be impatient. You are not allowed to force him to play in the AHL. It's completely up to him.

It's the time right now to play in North America because of the chances this team will be giving young players. I view the SEL and the AHL as close to the same in terms of development, so I'd much rather he stay in NA and try to rip it up in the AHL. I don't see how that would stunt his development in the least, and as I said, it would allow for the Sens to give him some games at the top level.

Next year he would come in that much more confident IMO. He's already played pro hockey in the AHL and had a taste of the NHL. The road is long for some prospects, but these are two guys that can accelerate it a bit by playing in NA.

As for being calm, if I was any more calm, I'd be dead. StickmanDancing But what I say is good to listen to for out of continent prospects. Come over here, play where they tell you to play and acclimatize yourself. In the instances of Silfverberg and Zibanejad, play for a spot in the NHL, but if you have to play in the AHL, make sure you play hard and be prepared for call-ups.

54Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well playing in your hometown (Stockholm, no less) for fans that love you, in a league against men that will give him some quality mintues, sure beats playing in Binghamton NY, and having to ride AHL busses.

If he's not in the NHL he is better off in the SEL, IMO.

If he didn't have another year at Djurgarden, then it would be a different story.

55Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Well playing in your hometown (Stockholm, no less) for fans that love you, in a league against men that will give him some quality mintues, sure beats playing in Binghamton NY, and having to ride AHL busses.

If he didn't have another year at Djurgarden, then it would be a different story.

I disagree, it would be better to ride the buses and get acclimatized to the entire NA culture from soup to nuts. However, I don't really care what he does, as long as he works his tail off, which is a given considering the scouting reports. All I'm saying personally is that I think it would benefit him, but I look forward to the Gladiator style training camp next year if he goes back.

Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Yakopov (Sarcasm), Stone, Petersson, Da Costa, O'Brien (you have to give him a chance, although I think we all think he probably doesn't have a bright NHL future), Noesen (not yet likely), Puempel, Prince (neither will likely be ready), battles up the ying-yang. Guys probably finishing their checks in scrimmages trying to knock guys out. Fun times coming.

56Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:56 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

What's all the hub-bub about? Zibanejad has a contract with the SEL, with an out-clause for the NHL. Either he plays in the NHL, or he goes back to the SEL. End of story. If he's out of the NHL, he's better off in the SEL anyway. See Rundblad, David and/or Karlsson, Erik.

This is so much about nothing, lads.

57Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:What's all the hub-bub about? Zibanejad has a contract with the SEL, with an out-clause for the NHL. Either he plays in the NHL, or he goes back to the SEL. End of story. If he's out of the NHL, he's better off in the SEL anyway. See Rundblad, David and/or Karlsson, Erik.

Hub-bub? Laugh1 We're just weighing options here. Like if Zibanejad plays 15 games for the Sens and the Sens feel he needs a 10-15 game primer in the AHL, does he instantly go back to the SEL? I doubt it.

58Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:37 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:What's all the hub-bub about? Zibanejad has a contract with the SEL, with an out-clause for the NHL. Either he plays in the NHL, or he goes back to the SEL. End of story. If he's out of the NHL, he's better off in the SEL anyway. See Rundblad, David and/or Karlsson, Erik.

That's the dog days of summer; we need something Hockey to talk about; almost anything will do Smile

59Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:That's the dog days of summer; we need something Hockey to talk about; almost anything will do Smile

Yep, this is the most boring time of all...damn...drop the puck already. StickmanDancing

60Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Again, he's allowed to play in the AHL, but he won't want to.

and yes he's better in the SEL than AHL anyway

61Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Well playing in your hometown (Stockholm, no less) for fans that love you, in a league against men that will give him some quality mintues, sure beats playing in Binghamton NY, and having to ride AHL busses.

I disagree, it would be better to ride the buses and get acclimatized to the entire NA culture from soup to nuts. However, I don't really care what he does, as long as he works his tail off, which is a given considering the scouting reports. All I'm saying personally is that I think it would benefit him, but I look forward to the Gladiator style training camp next year if he goes back.

Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Yakopov (Sarcasm), Stone, Petersson, Da Costa, O'Brien (you have to give him a chance, although I think we all think he probably doesn't have a bright NHL future), Noesen (not yet likely), Puempel, Prince (neither will likely be ready), battles up the ying-yang. Guys probably finishing their checks in scrimmages trying to knock guys out. Fun times coming.

Sweden is not that different from North America. Plus, part of his family lives in Georgia so I assume he goes there quite a bit. Probably won't need much acclimatization.

62Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie

I'd rather he not be in the AHL, because if he's there there's going to be the temptation to call him up. I'd rather not burn a year of his ELC.

I'm glad he signed so he can come to training camp, but I really hope he doesn't stick.

I'm hoping this team will be looking to go to the cap ceiling again in a few years, and if so we'll be glad we don't have to count any more than $1.75 mil for him.

63Zibanejad Signs ELC - Page 4 Empty Re: Zibanejad Signs ELC Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:21 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Erik Karlsson's 12 games in Bingo say hello.

Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum