GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospect Battle: Noesen vs Zibanejad - Battle of the Titans!

+6
NEELY
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
wprager
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Noesen vs Zibanejad

Prospect Battle: Noesen vs Zibanejad - Battle of the Titans! Vote_lcap229%Prospect Battle: Noesen vs Zibanejad - Battle of the Titans! Vote_rcap2 29% [ 2 ]
Prospect Battle: Noesen vs Zibanejad - Battle of the Titans! Vote_lcap271%Prospect Battle: Noesen vs Zibanejad - Battle of the Titans! Vote_rcap2 71% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is a big battle between two of Ottawa's better forward prospects. Which prospect will have a bigger impact over the course of their careers - and why?

In one corner:

Wearing Blue and Gold - Mika Zibanejad.

At 6'2" and approximately 200 pounds, Zibanejad has the size to be a power forward in the pro ranks. He's recently completed a fairly disappointing season by his standards, where he was concussed and was limited to only 26 SEL games, posting an admirable 13 points. Not a bad point total at all for his age and how he was used as a checker with some chances in the top six.

Still, Zibanejad wasn't able to show his elite level skills too much and then had an underwhelming WJC - although he scored the goal heard around the world to life Sweden to a Gold Medal in OT.

On the plus side, anyone you read or talk to immediately comments on several characteristics that usually come to the forefront. 1.He has an endless motor - meaning he's constantly working on the ice, whether it's to forecheck, to drive the net, to hit, he's 'on' constantly. 2.He's got a great attitude - very important, especially to Ottawa who appears to be looking for that kind of 'winning' attitude. 3.He's got a fantastic, NHL ready shot. 4.He's good away from the puck.

Put these components all together and you get what appears to be a sure fire NHLer, however, he basically missed a year of development last year, so he'll either have to play in Bingo, or come to camp and blow Sens' management away.

Wearing Red, White and Blue - Stefan Noesen.

Many of Zibanejad's characteristics can be copy and pasted over here. Noesen started his OHL career very quietly on the Plymouth Whalers - a team that included Tyler Seguin. He was used sparingly and as a penalty killer, so it wasn't until Noesen broke out offensively the next year, scoring 77 points including 34 goals that he started to turn heads. the year after, he broke the 80 point barrier and had team highs in goals (38), assists (44) and points. He then turned in a spectacular performance in the playoffs until an injury forced him out.

He's been compared to Corey Perry by GM Bryan Murray - a combination of skill and size with a knack for being both ultra competitive and downright nasty from time to time. He's a dogged forechecker who plays well away from the puck and at 6'1", 195, he's got the size to make an impact sooner rather than later.

This year will be a year where Noesen plays a major role for the Plymouth in the OHL and hopefully makes Team USA at the WJC. By the end of the year Noesen will likely force himself into consideration for a spot in the NHL, although a trip to the AHL is likely in the cards.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Noesen will be a more effective NHLer quicker but they will both be about the same once they've respectively hit their stride.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tough choice. Zibanejad came in with lots of wind behind his sails but now it looks like it was a lot of hot air. It's unfair, perhaps, but he was over-hyped and left a bit of a sour taste in people's minds. He's got a tough road ahead of him to make up for that.

Noeson, on the other hand, had little fanfare when he was drafted. Since then, on the one hand, he's had a great year in the OHL, on the other hand, it *is* just the OHL.

While he's been playing the NA style of hockey on the NA ice surface all of his life, he is (or should be) 1-2 years behind Zibanejad.

Can I take a moment or year to think about it?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Too hard to call at this point. I went with Z-Bad, because I think he has "it".

I don't know what that means.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I feel like Zibanejad will be an under-achieving top-six player (see: Mike Fisher) whereas Noeson will be an over-achieving 3rd line player (see: Antoine Vermette). Hard to say but I predict one will be traded and we'll never really know.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The problem with this 'battle' admittedly is that Noesen is at least a year, probably two away from being looked at as a real NHL possibility, while Zibanejad should play 40-50+ games this year alone.

This battle may have been done a year too early.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think Noesen becomes the best draft pick the Sens have had since Karlsson.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:I think Noesen becomes the best draft pick the Sens have had since Karlsson.

That's a bold statement considering Silfverberg and Lehner were taken after Karlsson as was Stone. Not necessarily saying I don't agree, but what makes you think he succeeds in bigger and better ways than some of our other picks since then?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think he's more complete, has an edge, and knows how to score. IMO he has the "it" factor. Not saying he's going to be Corey Perry but I am saying he will be Dustin Brown... IMO anyways.

More offense than Zibanejad IMO
More physical than Zibanejad IMO
More hockey sense than Zibanejad IMO

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Saw the two play head to head a few weeks back. It was evident who the better player was. Zibanejad. Both were great in the short tournament, and both play the game the right way.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:Saw the two play head to head a few weeks back. It was evident who the better player was. Zibanejad. Both were great in the short tournament, and both play the game the right way.

Again, I think Noesen's game will translate better at the NHL level. Not saying who looks better with players in their own age group, I'm saying who I think will be better when they are 24, 25.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Saw the two play head to head a few weeks back. It was evident who the better player was. Zibanejad. Both were great in the short tournament, and both play the game the right way.

Again, I think Noesen's game will translate better at the NHL level. Not saying who looks better with players in their own age group, I'm saying who I think will be better when they are 24, 25.

I don't remember directing my statement at you.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

that sounded kinda dickish lol, just saying I wasn't replying to your post. Wink

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'm gonna go with Noeson as well. I got super excited about the Perry comments when he was drafted but I cooled off a bit since. I'll agree that i think he's going t be one of these players the organization will want to retain in the long run because he seems to bring that edge and level of competitiveness(from what I've read mostly) I haven't seen enough of him for myself to make the best educated guess though.

I will say this also. In a recent interview with Tim Murray he said that Noeson is looking like a possible top 6-7 player.... I find that a bit of intriguing remark from him. do they view him as a borderline top6 possibly playing on the third line?
Anyways, my hopes are still pretty high bu that's what they are, hopes.

In th same interview TM seemed a little evasive 0on the subject of Z-Bad. are they realizing they haven't got the player they thought they did? lots in the air.
I'm really looking forward to the season anyways. being in Bingo only or Both Ottawa and Bingo.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I think it'll be ZBad. I can't qualify that except to say that I think the organization is higher on him and I trust their collective judgement.

It's an exciting time for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum