GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hockey's Future Prospect of the Year 2011: David Rundblad

+14
strachattack
stempniaksen
Riprock
The Silfer Server
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
sandysensfan
spader
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
Flo The Action
SensHulk
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

sandysensfan wrote:Getting Anderson for the next 4 yrs to me is worth more than 4 spots up higher in the draft. 4 spots.. not like it's 10 spots.
I thought they were stating that there is not much difference in the top 10 for the draft this year as no clear cut superstars in this draft.
Landeskog was 1st or 2nd overall not too long ago.. but since his team got eliminated from the playoffs he is falling back. Is he any less the player now that he was then?
Huberdeau has climbed high in the standings from where we thought he would be.... because he had played longer in the playoffs on a stacked team? Is he a better player now than he was in the regular season?

Carolina got Skinner @ 7th overall... and he will probably win the Calder Trophy.

The Sens will get a good young player... let Murray do his job...

:KKK:

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Hopefully we can sign Viktor Fasth to be our backup. His stats are memorizing. Vertigo

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=112977

No comments on Bryan Murray having to say that name? Wolfie

That's nasty.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Nice, just don't answer the question then.

Yeah, Ottawa blew it. I've made my position quite clear since before the season ended about this. They could have finished lower and they didn't. It's an opportunity squandered. An opportunity to draft a potential franchise player. Sure the possibility exists that we get one from the 6th spot, but the odds that we'd have gotten one from 3rd or 4th spot are higher, and that's what was squandered.

I didn't answer your question because I assumed that it's rhetorical nature made answering it pointless. Yes, I would prefer it if the team had 2 chances at a cup in 7 years than if the team was always mediocre and missed the playoffs every year.

I notice that you ignored my questions. How could the Sens have capitalized on their opportunity to lose? Should they have benched Spezza and Karlsson? Should they have told Sherman to stick it and kept Elliott? I don't understand what it is that you wanted them to do to ensure the losses that you deem necessary to winning.

Yawn, yet again you put words in my mouth. So I'll say it one more time to you. NEVER ONCE DID I SAY THAT TANKING WAS NECESSARY TO BUILD A WINNER. I said that it's the easiest way to build/rebuild a franchise, having lots of high picks. But it's certainly not the only way to do it (See Philly etc).

Yes, they should have tanked. Apparently, it's the "in" thing to do. Colorado gifting us Anderson, Florida being well...Florida, The Isles coming back to reality. Something could have been done. In fact, not raping Bingo for half it's roster and just staying the course would have done the trick. I'm not talking about benching stars here. Some subtle changes would have made a difference.

For me it's not just the draft standing. Although the missed opportunity sucks, it's just a part of the bigger picture I am unhappy with.

True. I am putting words in your mouth. I apologize.

The point, I guess, is that we aren't going to agree on this. Icing a team that wins more games than it loses is the job of the coach and managers. They had an awful 3/4 of a year, but I'll never complain that they made the right moves and showed the amount of promise that they did in the last 1/4 of the year.

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Hopefully we can sign Viktor Fasth to be our backup. His stats are memorizing. Vertigo

No comments on Bryan Murray having to say that name? Wolfie

Bring your rain gear.

spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:
spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Nice, just don't answer the question then.

Yeah, Ottawa blew it. I've made my position quite clear since before the season ended about this. They could have finished lower and they didn't. It's an opportunity squandered. An opportunity to draft a potential franchise player. Sure the possibility exists that we get one from the 6th spot, but the odds that we'd have gotten one from 3rd or 4th spot are higher, and that's what was squandered.

I didn't answer your question because I assumed that it's rhetorical nature made answering it pointless. Yes, I would prefer it if the team had 2 chances at a cup in 7 years than if the team was always mediocre and missed the playoffs every year.

I notice that you ignored my questions. How could the Sens have capitalized on their opportunity to lose? Should they have benched Spezza and Karlsson? Should they have told Sherman to stick it and kept Elliott? I don't understand what it is that you wanted them to do to ensure the losses that you deem necessary to winning.

Yawn, yet again you put words in my mouth. So I'll say it one more time to you. NEVER ONCE DID I SAY THAT TANKING WAS NECESSARY TO BUILD A WINNER. I said that it's the easiest way to build/rebuild a franchise, having lots of high picks. But it's certainly not the only way to do it (See Philly etc).

Yes, they should have tanked. Apparently, it's the "in" thing to do. Colorado gifting us Anderson, Florida being well...Florida, The Isles coming back to reality. Something could have been done. In fact, not raping Bingo for half it's roster and just staying the course would have done the trick. I'm not talking about benching stars here. Some subtle changes would have made a difference.

For me it's not just the draft standing. Although the missed opportunity sucks, it's just a part of the bigger picture I am unhappy with.

True. I am putting words in your mouth. I apologize.

The point, I guess, is that we aren't going to agree on this. Icing a team that wins more games than it loses is the job of the coach and managers. They had an awful 3/4 of a year, but I'll never complain that they made the right moves and showed the amount of promise that they did in the last 1/4 of the year.

To me the season was lost, and winning in the last quarter of the season when wins didn't matter was like polishing a turd. Especially after Melnyk stated that he had a "plan", which was widely interpreted as a rebuild (to what degree is open for debate). Lots of mixed messages over the last quarter of the season if you ask me.

sandysensfan wrote:Getting Anderson for the next 4 yrs to me is worth more than 4 spots up higher in the draft. 4 spots.. not like it's 10 spots.
I thought they were stating that there is not much difference in the top 10 for the draft this year as no clear cut superstars in this draft.
Landeskog was 1st or 2nd overall not too long ago.. but since his team got eliminated from the playoffs he is falling back. Is he any less the player now that he was then?
Huberdeau has climbed high in the standings from where we thought he would be.... because he had played longer in the playoffs on a stacked team? Is he a better player now than he was in the regular season?

Carolina got Skinner @ 7th overall... and he will probably win the Calder Trophy.

I don't buy for a minute that the top 10 are interchangeable. As I said in a previous post, you can look back over past drafts and see that in fact, there is a HUGE difference between players. This year there has been for most of the year, a group of 4 that separated themselves, and perhaps Huberdeau is in the discussion, but NO WAY are the top 10 "not much difference" as you say. Time will tell. Perhaps we end up with the best player, who knows. But I'd feel a lot more confident if the Sens gave themselves the best chance to do that, and they didn't by letting teams slip under them in the standings.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So they are remembering things by heart?

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:

I don't buy for a minute that the top 10 are interchangeable. As I said in a previous post, you can look back over past drafts and see that in fact, there is a HUGE difference between players. This year there has been for most of the year, a group of 4 that separated themselves, and perhaps Huberdeau is in the discussion, but NO WAY are the top 10 "not much difference" as you say. Time will tell. Perhaps we end up with the best player, who knows. But I'd feel a lot more confident if the Sens gave themselves the best chance to do that, and they didn't by letting teams slip under them in the standings.

I'm just repeating what the so-called experts say. There is no true #1 this year.
It has changed throughout this hockey season.
But RNH appears to be going ahead of the others... but I don't think Ottawa would have taken him as #1 anyway if they had that choice.

IF they really want a player -- they can try to move up from 6th. It's not that far a jump.

You also can't compare this draft to other years. They are always different. I think for overall star talent..this draft year is not the best -- or so the experts say. We will never know until these young players play in the NHL.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Like I said, we already had Anderson signed and he was still playing like 9/10 games...
90% of the teams that play very well after being out of the picture after february don't carry it over to the next season and It's just facts. Those wins were meaningless and we didn't put ourselves in the best position possible, and you all know it.
Most teams probably had Jeff Skinner top 10 even if some Scouting Services had him in the 20's.
I remember last year I was sure he would go top 10, as well as Johansen. I mean the guy scored 50 goals...
This year is probably the same. Huberdeau is 5-10 on most lists, I thought for months now, even before the playoffs he would go top 3 and I stand by it.
No matter what the draft looks like on the internet, the Sens scouts have a ranking list and because Clouston who they knew would be fired was allowed to play Anderson for most of the games, they will maybe have to take what's left instead of the guy they want.

Now, we have 6 picks in the top 65 which is a good thing because statistically this is one of the best CHL crop ever. Just looking at the top 6 forwards they are all way over PPG. Last year there were guys taken top 10 who were barely PPG. And it's even better when you go deeper into the list.
There's a Corey Perry in there somewhere, I am sure Smile

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:Like I said, we already had Anderson signed and he was still playing like 9/10 games...
90% of the teams that play very well after being out of the picture after february don't carry it over to the next season and It's just facts. Those wins were meaningless and we didn't put ourselves in the best position possible, and you all know it.
Most teams probably had Jeff Skinner top 10 even if some Scouting Services had him in the 20's.
I remember last year I was sure he would go top 10, as well as Johansen. I mean the guy scored 50 goals...
This year is probably the same. Huberdeau is 5-10 on most lists, I thought for months now, even before the playoffs he would go top 3 and I stand by it.
No matter what the draft looks like on the internet, the Sens scouts have a ranking list and because Clouston who they knew would be fired was allowed to play Anderson for most of the games, they will maybe have to take what's left instead of the guy they want.

Now, we have 6 picks in the top 65 which is a good thing because statistically this is one of the best CHL crop ever. Just looking at the top 6 forwards they are all way over PPG. Last year there were guys taken top 10 who were barely PPG. And it's even better when you go deeper into the list.

i hope there`s a Perry in there and also hope BM picks him out for us.

there`s alot of interesting points in there. The ISS rankings haven`t been the best gauges over the years as far as success.
I think it`s always best to be able to draft high but there are some instances where it won`t make a difference. It`s all comes down to how good your scouting is. BM`s scouting is great but from what I`ve read they`re fond of Lando. I`ve got serious doubts about his potential. I`d much sooner go after a Huberdeau.
I think it's also in the realm of possibilities that we move up in the draft. I also believe that with our 6th pick we could pick an absolute winner. Strome could be the Skinner of this year's draft. Not the same type of player but as far as having gone past top 5. It's all in the air. One thing is for sure, I'm very happy to have BM picking and not some Muckler-esque GM.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Huberdeau is probably the closest thing to Perry.

sandysensfan wrote:
hemlock wrote:

I'm just repeating what the so-called experts say. There is no true #1 this year.
It has changed throughout this hockey season.
But RNH appears to be going ahead of the others... but I don't think Ottawa would have taken him as #1 anyway if they had that choice.

IF they really want a player -- they can try to move up from 6th. It's not that far a jump.

You also can't compare this draft to other years. They are always different. I think for overall star talent..this draft year is not the best -- or so the experts say. We will never know until these young players play in the NHL.

Yeah, they could potentially move, up but that would cost another asset. Sure each draft year is different, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that with the odd exception (2003 springs to mind), all first round players are not created equal. From the perspective of the team, I think they should always be trying to do what they can to secure a higher pick, if the season is lost. Playing the backup a couple of more times down the stretch certainly couldn't have hurt in that regard.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Are we still talking about that ... OMG! Need to get over that Wink

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:Are we still talking about that ... OMG! Need to get over that Wink

Especially since McElhinney actually played really well for us! LOL.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We should put this to bed once and for all by saying we're lucky that at 6 there looks to still be a damn good player coming our way + Anderson appears to be a solid addition to our team.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
marakh wrote:Like I said, we already had Anderson signed and he was still playing like 9/10 games...

i hope there`s a Perry in there and also hope BM picks him out for us.

there`s alot of interesting points in there. The ISS rankings haven`t been the best gauges over the years as far as success.
I think it`s always best to be able to draft high but there are some instances where it won`t make a difference. It`s all comes down to how good your scouting is. BM`s scouting is great but from what I`ve read they`re fond of Lando. I`ve got serious doubts about his potential. I`d much sooner go after a Huberdeau.
I think it's also in the realm of possibilities that we move up in the draft. I also believe that with our 6th pick we could pick an absolute winner. Strome could be the Skinner of this year's draft. Not the same type of player but as far as having gone past top 5. It's all in the air. One thing is for sure, I'm very happy to have BM picking and not some Muckler-esque GM.

Murray managed to get BOTH Getzlaf & Perry in that draft by trading up... He's been in the business a long time, so he will try his best to get what he wants. I don't think he will sell the farm.... but of course, he does need a dance partner.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I'm hoping Murray pulls a rabbit or two out of a hat at the draft.

I doubt we've heard correctly which players are tops on their list. That list was only put together fairly recently and they're not going to advertise who they are.

I remember mysterious articles appearing on how the Sens wanted to draft Kadri (even Burke believed them).

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:I'm hoping Murray pulls a rabbit or two out of a hat at the draft.

I doubt we've heard correctly which players are tops on their list. That list was only put together fairly recently and they're not going to advertise who they are.

I remember mysterious articles appearing on how the Sens wanted to draft Kadri (even Burke believed them).
Laughing3

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum