GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hockey's Future Prospect of the Year 2011: David Rundblad

+14
strachattack
stempniaksen
Riprock
The Silfer Server
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
sandysensfan
spader
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
Flo The Action
SensHulk
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13090/hockeys_future_prospect_of_the_year2011/

Despite not always getting the recognition that big-name prospects playing in North America might get, for the second straight season Hockey’s Future Prospect of the Year is a Swede playing in the Swedish Elite League. Last year it was Jacob Markstrom (FLA) who posted career numbers for Brynas IF Gavle before heading to North America; this year, after one of the best season’s by a defenseman in SEL history, it’s fellow Swede and Ottawa Senators prospect David Rundblad who has earned the Hockey Future’s Prospect of the Year for the 2010-11 season. Like Markstrom last year, Rundblad will make the transition to North America this upcoming season, likely to crack the Senators top-six.

To say that Rundblad had a breakout season in 2010-11 is more than an understatement. In his previous two full seasons with Skelleftea HC, the offensive-minded defenseman combined for just 23 points in 92 games. This season Rundblad was able to secure consistent top-four ice-time and his offense flourished, scoring 11 goals and adding 39 assists in 55 games. His production continued into the playoffs where he posted ten points in 18 games.

Rundblad will bring a smooth-skating, offensive-oriented game to Ottawa next season. Given his efficiency on the power-play this season with Skelleftea HC, he’ll likely get the chance to work with fellow Swede Erik Karlsson next season with the man advantage; or he’ll quarterback the second unit, providing the team with a potentially dangerous defenseman on both units.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

nice, really glad he's getting some attention but unless some bodies are shipped out, he's NOT cracking the top 6

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:nice, really glad he's getting some attention but unless some bodies are shipped out, he's NOT cracking the top 6
i imagine boddies are moved out. he may start in Bingo but he'll be one of the first one to be called up. One way or another he's playing in ottawa next year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We've got six defensemen on one-ways signed for next season, plus Cowen has been all but guaranteed a spot. As high as Rundblad may be ranked he has not yet played a shift of North American style hockey so I think odds are he stays in Bingo for most of the year. However both Carkner and Kuba are UFAs in 2012/13 and one (or hopefully both) of them will likely be moved to avoid losing them for nothing. Lee is RFA after next season as well. If two of these three are moved it opens up two spots (assuming we carry 7D). If Wiercioch continues to progress then those two spots likely go to him and Rundblad.

Of course we have some other D-men down in Bingo who deserve a call up. Hale and D. Smith are UFA so they are probably gone, although Benoit is an interesting case. He's never had NHL action until his 8 games with the Sens. Give the state of the team I don't think they could really do a fair assessment. I wouldn't mind if they brought him in as a 7th defenseman to see how he does. He is a converted forward, plays with a bit of grit -- perhaps he can server the Schubert role. He certainly seems to elevate his game in the post-season -- in each of the three times he'd been in the AHL playoffs his PPG pace went up in the playoffs. He's got 14 points in 17 games this year, and had 14 in 19 the previous time he was in the playoffs (Hamilton).

Anyhow, all that to say that I don't expect Rundblad to be up with Ottawa, except maybe for a few games to evaluate his play, until two of Carkner/Kuba/Lee are moved, and maybe not even then.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

If what I am hearing is correct the Sens are going to make a splash on draft day and either move up in the draft, or trade picks/players to acquire a solid 'tier 2' RFA (Oshie/Berglund calibre). Ottawa has a trading history with St Louis on draft day and both teams have assets to help with their respective rebuilds. I can't see Ottawa actively trying to sign any big name UFAs or overpaying for guys like Fleishmann or Laich. Their intent sounds like they want to fill the LW position with Landeskog or firm their holes down the middle with Huberdeau or Couturier.

Kuba is injury prone, expensive, and has no place within our top-four given his play last season. In the 5-6 pairing he's a waste of money but more importantly his presence would stunt the development of one of our prospects. He should and most likely will be bought out. There is also no reason for Rundblad to start in the AHL. He's not going to want to leave the SEL to play in the AHL. I think they give him his 10 games at the NHL and bump him down if he under performs; similar to what they did with Karlsson. He will start at the NHL-level.

On the trade front, Wiercioch and Lee are the odd-men defensively, and Foligno, Regin, Bass, O'Brien, and Michalek on the forward front. Cowen, Rundblad, and Karlsson are untouchable and Gonchar and Phillips are untradeable (unless Detroit wants a piece of Gonchar to replace Rafalski and/or Lidstrom). Otherwise our defence is firm with Phillips, Gonchar, Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad, Carkner, and Lee. I can't see Carkner or Lee being within the system after this year with Gryba, Hale, and Benoit in the wings but I don't think they're in a position to dress more than two rookies this season. Offensively, we seem intent on building around our youth and if the right offer comes I can't see Ottawa holding onto Michalek. Look for a team like Columbus, Nashville, NYI, Calgary to inquire about Milan.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

why does everyone keep bringing Hale up? he's UFA. there's nothing to suggest want him here next season of that HE wants to be here either. for all we know he's fed up with not getting a chance and goes over to europe to play.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:why does everyone keep bringing Hale up? he's UFA. there's nothing to suggest want him here next season of that HE wants to be here either. for all we know he's fed up with not getting a chance and goes over to europe to play.

For sure. Hale won't crack the line-up next year whether he deserves to or not. There aren't enough teams in the NHL looking for the depth he provides. They rather take their chances on a younger, just-as-talented player. If he doesn't want to play in Europe I'm sure the B-Sens will be happy to bring him back.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Welcome aboard Defence. There are certainly plenty of options for the Sens on draft day and also in the summer when teams start to squirm with cap issues. If the Sens play their cards right, they might be in a position to grab someone the same way the Lightning stole Gagne from the Flyers and thus really not use any assets of importance.

I could see them moving up for Landeskog for sure, but at the same time, the more I see/hear about Huberdeau, the more I think he'd be a great player to have moving forward. Hopefully we can grab Philips as well if we get Huberdeau and bring them up together.

The questions I would have are: how would we get an Oshie or a Berglund without giving up the 6th overall? I can't see the Blues just giving them up and frankly, with Oshie's injury history and Michalek's injury history, I'd rather have Milan and his apparently great leadership.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Also, unless Foligno is gonna bring us a solid return, we have little right trading a guy who tickled 20 goals as a young player. Regin might be the odd guy out, I can agree, but his value is at an all time low, I don't like the thought of trading him now. Michalek I like a lot so I'm biased. He brings speed, skill and a great work ethic/leadership role with him, so again, if he's moved I hope it's in the right deal.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TJ Oshie would be too sick on this team. Love him. I doubt the Blues want to give him up though.

Oshie is much better than Michalek.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:TJ Oshie would be too sick on this team. Love him. I doubt the Blues want to give him up though.

That's hard to say IMO. Michalek has had some damn streaky seasons here, but if healthy I think he can be just as offensive as Oshie and much faster. The difference is Oshie is a really aggressive hitter, but that's starting to cost him with various injuries. Plus, he hurt his ankle very badly and I'm really not sure if it's the same.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:TJ Oshie would be too sick on this team. Love him. I doubt the Blues want to give him up though.

That's hard to say IMO. Michalek has had some damn streaky seasons here, but if healthy I think he can be just as offensive as Oshie and much faster. The difference is Oshie is a really aggressive hitter, but that's starting to cost him with various injuries. Plus, he hurt his ankle very badly and I'm really not sure if it's the same.

To me, it's night and day. Oshie is a great skater and hits everything that moves. He's a spark-plug. Michalek is fast but not as fast as he used to, but I don't think he's a better skater than Oshie, nor can he produce like he used to. This is a hypothetical comparion of course, but for me, Oshie wins in a landslide.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

To me, it's night and day. Oshie is a great skater and hits everything that moves. He's a spark-plug. Michalek is fast but not as fast as he used to, but I don't think he's a better skater than Oshie, nor can he produce like he used to. This is a hypothetical comparion of course, but for me, Oshie wins in a landslide.
though call. i might go with Oshie also.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

To me it's a really tough call as well. If we could have both I would be on board - depending on the cost of Oshie though, we don't want to lose that 6th overall for Oshie, so what would St.Louis even want?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would trade the NSH 1st +, but again why are they moving Oshie?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 12]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum