GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Last weekend for Murray / Clouston

+19
NEELY
tim1_2
LethalLehner
Flo The Action
Cap'n Clutch
SensHulk
Hoags
Riprock
spader
LeCaptain
SDH89
PTFlea
strachattack
wprager
Ev
SeawaySensFan
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
TheAvatar
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 23]

241Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Melynk confirmed they could have gotten more for Fisher from at least 2 other teams. So why the Diddle didn't you make one of those trades? He didn't have a NTC, so who cares where he wanted to go. Nobody would have thought differently of the org if they didn't grant his wish to go to Nashville.

It probably wasn't much different, maybe a better conditional pick or just a 2nd rounder outright. I am shocked we got a 1st rounder for Fisher.

They preferred to make the organization look good by sending a player to an organization of his choice. A player who didn't want to leave to begin with.

If you don't have an NTC then it's your own problem. Negotiate it beforehand. It's nothing personal, it's business.

With real money. People forget that.

242Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:55 am

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:Please tell me McGuire is nowhere near Ottawa ..... Ohnoes!

He's home this week-end which rarely ever happens to McGuire ;

243Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:56 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
Hoags wrote:Please tell me McGuire is nowhere near Ottawa ..... Ohnoes!

He's home this week-end which rarely ever happens to McGuire ;

Extremely unusual. He actually shot down a question about what "he would do with the Senators" really quick this morning.

244Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:56 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

strachattack wrote:

tim1_2 wrote:PM for GM! PM FOR PM!!! FTW!!!!

I don't really want Harper involved with the Sens Sarcasm

I would prefer Harper over McGuire. [/quote]

From what I hear, Harper is quite the hockey expert / historian

245Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:57 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
If you don't have an NTC then it's your own problem. Negotiate it beforehand. It's nothing personal, it's business.

Think Anderson would have signed here if we did that ? or da Costa ? We're a rebuilding small market team in a boring government town. Having a great reputation in the NHL is about the only bargaining chip we have.

Anderson accepted a deal with no NTC. Why would he do that ? Unless he had confidence the organization wouldn't ship him somewhere he wouldn't like to go.

246Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

Think Anderson would have signed here if we did that ? or da Costa ? We're a rebuilding small market team in a boring government town. Having a great reputation in the NHL is about the only bargaining chip we have.

Anderson accepted a deal with no NTC. Why would he do that ? Unless he had confidence the organization wouldn't ship him somewhere he wouldn't like to go.

Yeah, but Murray needs to be kicked to the curb anyway. Laugh1

I like to kid around but this is just a nightmare.

247Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:04 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

Yes I think they would have signed here anyway. I'm sure Stephane Da Costa wasn't evenaware of the Mike Fisher deal, or if he even knw who Mike Fisher was. If you want to trade somebody, just do it. if they don't have the NTC then too bad.

248Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:09 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'd rather keep Bryan/Tim around. We've gone from a "win now" mandate by keeping a former SCF team afloat with expensive FA signings to building a contender and Murray is one of the best people to do this. It's a totally different scenario now.

Will another GM draft better ?, sign college free agents better ? We won't be making any big trades or signings for a while ...

You typically bring in an outside GM if your organization is directionless, clueless and hopeless with no future (see Calgary, Florida). None of these apply to Ottawa, we're on the right track.

Why bring an outsider in ? (Who might think trading EK for Scott Gomez is a great move). We gotta be careful.

249Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:11 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mendes: Melnyk on potential coach candidates: "I think there are a number of quality people, including Cory - let's not knock him out of the box,"

250Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:12 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Will Melnyk make another announcement tonight?

251Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'd rather keep Bryan/Tim around. We've gone from a "win now" mandate by keeping a former SCF team afloat with expensive FA signings to building a contender and Murray is one of the best people to do this. It's a totally different scenario now.

Will another GM draft better ?, sign college free agents better ? We won't be making any big trades or signings for a while ...

You typically bring in an outside GM if your organization is directionless, clueless and hopeless with no future (see Calgary, Florida). None of these apply to Ottawa, we're on the right track.

Why bring an outsider in ? (Who might think trading EK for Scott Gomez is a great move). We gotta be careful.

Nobody's that dumb.

252Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

My position is that we have one of the best GMs in the league right now and a pretty damn good coach. I'm not in favour of changing either.

I think doing so would hurt the team. Obviously, to be proven wrong would be great but I just don't see it right now.

253Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

My position is that we have one of the best GMs in the league right now and a pretty damn good coach. I'm not in favour of changing either.

I think doing so would hurt the team. Obviously, to be proven wrong would be great but I just don't see it right now.

I think you're still listening to Melnyk's "buckle up" attitude.

254Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Nobody's that dumb.

Just exaggerating to prove a point. Different GM's have different views on building a winning a team and how to get there. Kind of like some GM's think trading two first-rounders for a one-dimensional 30-goal scoring Peter MacNicol look alike is a great move.

Gotta be very careful who you give the keys to.

Last edited by Hoags on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

255Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mendes: So in a nutshell: Melnyk not willing to hand out another one-year contract extension. He & Murray meeting right now to discuss options.

256Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:21 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:I think you're still listening to Melnyk's "buckle up" attitude.

If that were the case, I'd be fooling myself into thinking that Cameron is an upgrade on Clouston.

The Ringmaster's sell job isn't that convincing.

257Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:27 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Mendes: So in a nutshell: Melnyk not willing to hand out another one-year contract extension. He & Murray meeting right now to discuss options.

This is what doesn't make any sense to me; why not hold off on the presser until he meets Murray? What was the big emergency for the presser at 10? MINUTES BEFORE THE MEETING?!?

258Last weekend for Murray / Clouston - Page 17 Empty Re: Last weekend for Murray / Clouston Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:31 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TheAvatar wrote:
shabbs wrote:Mendes: So in a nutshell: Melnyk not willing to hand out another one-year contract extension. He & Murray meeting right now to discuss options.

This is what doesn't make any sense to me; why not hold off on the presser until he meets Murray? What was the big emergency for the presser at 10? MINUTES BEFORE THE MEETING?!?
Melnyk is drawn to the media like a fly to Dung.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum