GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Future of....Bryan Murray & Cory Clouston

+16
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
asq2
Tuk Tuk
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
ddt
dennycrane
jawal
LeCaptain
PTFlea
Ev
NEELY
SensHulk
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone else getting the sense that the Euge is gonna re-sign this guy to another year as GM? I certainly am. He's been given the keys to so many key decisions that its gotta be a gentleman's agreement that he's coming back as GM.

Do I mind it? Not so much...but I want this fresh start to come asap. This means the coach. If Murray comes back, does it make sense for him to go find another coach? We know Murray is not going to be around for too long, but Clouston's contract is up after this season. Seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll be gone but I digress....what sense does it make to hire somebody new only to get rid of him when a new GM comes in?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Clouston won't be back.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Clouston won't be back.

what about BM?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

BM probably will be. Why not? He's done a pretty good job in the rebuild and fact of the matter is every organization he has been with has had success with him building.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think BM will be back but not as GM. As the guys on TSN said last night, you need to start fresh if you are going to rebuild like this.

Clouston has no chance of being back.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:I think BM will be back but not as GM. As the guys on TSN said last night, you need to start fresh if you are going to rebuild like this.

Clouston has no chance of being back.

Seriously, find a GM with a better track record of building teams. He's done this exact thing for over 20 years with a lot of success.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Don't shoot the messenger, that's what the entire TSN panel agreed to. BM does have some success building, but all the teams start doing well once he leaves, and not all of it is because of him only (Anaheim was partly his but more of Burke's doing because of the D he assembled).

Plus like I've said before, age is catching up to him. Don't know if he can still do the job after this season, maybe 1 more max if he comes back as GM.

He'll retain his role as President or whatever else he has.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:Don't shoot the messenger, that's what the entire TSN panel agreed to. BM does have some success building, but all the teams start doing well once he leaves, and not all of it is because of him only (Anaheim was partly his but more of Burke's doing because of the D he assembled).

The Niedamayers were on Murray. He made the original move to bring Rob in from Calgary. Scott was as easy a move to make as there ever has been.

Burke made 2 great moves though, Beauchimen and Pronger. He couldn't have made the Beauchimen deal without having Federov who was on the downside of his career but still, he was an asset that was used. Murray gets most of the credit for that team. Also couldn't have made the Pronger move without the assets Murray put in place there, Smid and Lupul.

He also totally turned the Detroit organization around. Florida he put so many good pieces in place but that was just torn down after he left. They have no made the playoffs since.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Don't shoot the messenger, that's what the entire TSN panel agreed to. BM does have some success building, but all the teams start doing well once he leaves, and not all of it is because of him only (Anaheim was partly his but more of Burke's doing because of the D he assembled).

The Niedamayers were on Murray. He made the original move to bring Rob in from Calgary. Scott was as easy a move to make as there ever has been.

Burke made 2 great moves though, Beauchimen and Pronger. He couldn't have made the Beauchimen deal without having Federov who was on the downside of his career but still, he was an asset that was used. Murray gets most of the credit for that team. Also couldn't have made the Pronger move without the assets Murray put in place there, Smid and Lupul.

He also totally turned the Detroit organization around. Florida he put so many good pieces in place but that was just torn down after he left. They have no made the playoffs since.

Everything else makes a decent argument except that. You can say that about a ton of trades in the league. Murray wouldn't have been able to acquire Anderson without the asset Muckler put in place, Brian Elliott.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Different level of trade. You are talking about a franchise D man, top 20 of all time. Having the assests to aquire Pronger while still keeping your team in a position to contend for a cup, something was done right.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Interesting theory that Murray would be the guy to build this up, then another GM to follow through with it - where Murray would hopefully be retained in some other capacity. I can buy that to a degree, I think Murray's amazing at building a team, but he has to realize that another GM would finish it - even if he was extended for another year or even 2. It can't last forever at 70.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

you guys actually think murray would/should be allowed to find another head coach?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Plus like I've said before, age is catching up to him. Don't know if he can still do the job after this season, maybe 1 more max if he comes back as GM.

He'll retain his role as President or whatever else he has.

Give me Getzlaf, Perry and Penner on entry level contracts and I'm gonna sign you Niedermeyer's bro.
Now, which of Muckler's picks led the team in playoffs points since the lockout? I can't blame Murray for patching holes on this team so that's why I don't mind having him back. In fact, I want him back.
Proonger and Beauchemin were sure awesome acquisitions, but when you have basement well built, finishing the house is way easier.

Last edited by marakh on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

Michallica wrote:you guys actually think murray would/should be allowed to find another head coach?

No. Despite Murray's past success, a big negative mark on his Ottawa service is his choice of head coaches. Paddock and Hartsburg were disasters. Clouston is a good coach IMO but wrong coach at this time for Ottawa.

I think Murray will be promoted to VP in charge of hockey operations, the Sens get a new GM and the new GM hires new coach.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

jawal wrote:
Michallica wrote:you guys actually think murray would/should be allowed to find another head coach?

No. Despite Murray's past success, a big negative mark on his Ottawa service is his choice of head coaches. Paddock and Hartsburg were disasters. Clouston is a good coach IMO but wrong coach at this time for Ottawa.

I think Murray will be promoted to VP in charge of hockey operations, the Sens get a new GM and the new GM hires new coach.

I don't mind this, as long as no Burke all talk no substance GM comes in and wants to win a cup right away.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum