GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Carolina Hurricanes - 7:00pm ET - Tue. Mar. 22, 2011

+17
wprager
LeCaptain
SensHulk
spader
Hobiesens
Riprock
The Silfer Server
Ev
Hoags
22_4_ever
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
LethalLehner
shabbs
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
3rd line with Condra and Z.Smith, something line that.

We still got Regin, could sign him and figure out which one to keep but they've been trying to do that for a while.

If they draft Strome, Coutourier or RNH and want him in the lineup next year though ...

(I still don't get why they'd announce their 1st round pick will play next year -- odd and uncharacteristic thing to say)

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I would take Shannon over Regin in a heart beat at this point. Regin hasn't done anything that would put him above Shannon in anyway.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
We still got Regin, could sign him and figure out which one to keep but they've been trying to do that for a while.

If they draft Strome, Coutourier or RNH and want him in the lineup next year though ...

(I still don't get why they'd announce their 1st round pick will play next year -- odd and uncharacteristic thing to say)

I had no issue with them saying that, it was the time they said it - how did they know we'd stay in the bottom 3, even now it's touch and go. If we get one of the top 3 picks, I would say that player will play in the NHL, if it's 4 on, who knows. They would have been better off to say that in the off-season when we've cemented our position.

As for Regin, he'll come back next year strong I'm sure, there's a lot of work for him to do and unfortunately he can't do weight training in that shoulder/arm until well into July (maybe sooner, but I doubt it), but still, the hope is he'll be bigger and more effective.

It's really hard to think about the lineups right now, but I assume we'll be drafting a forward:

Michalek - Spezza - Butler
Foligno (?) - draft pick - Alfredsson
Greening - Regin - Neil/Condra
Z.Smith - Winchester - Shannon/Condra

I'm not sure what variation of these lineups will make the most sense, but I would strongly doubt someone like Condra will displace Regin - even though he had a crap year - I could also see Condra benefiting from one final year in the AHL - and being the first call-up (read: he'll be up anyway most of the time).

If anyone gets pushed out, it'll be Shannon in favour of Condra, but again, I really like what Shannon brings, so I hope that doesn't happen.

I put red in there for Foligno being in the top six, because I think that's a HUGE question mark and for the draft pick because who knows if he even makes it.

EDIT: I fully realize that this lineup may not score very often, but that's life in a rebuild/re-tool.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I don't like seeing Foligno on the 2nd line. I think he's a good 3rd line player. I am holding out hope that we'll sign a top 6 forward that can provide some offensive punch.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, I don't like seeing Foligno on the 2nd line. I think he's a good 3rd line player. I am holding out hope that we'll sign a top 6 forward that can provide some offensive punch.

Who though? This is gonna be a young and excited group, we have to be careful what kind of outsider we bring in. Not to mention that there will be more young guys coming in to hopefully push for spots. The only guy I can think of is Brooks Laich, but Washington would be fools not to re-sign him IMO.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, I don't like seeing Foligno on the 2nd line. I think he's a good 3rd line player. I am holding out hope that we'll sign a top 6 forward that can provide some offensive punch.

Who though? This is gonna be a young and excited group, we have to be careful what kind of outsider we bring in. Not to mention that there will be more young guys coming in to hopefully push for spots. The only guy I can think of is Brooks Laich, but Washington would be fools not to re-sign him IMO.

Curtis Glencross might be another option. I like the way that guy plays.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Murray has said he plans to pick up one FA top six forward did he not? If he manages to do that then we have a reasonable looking top six.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

If shannon gets offered a contract, I don't see how one of regin or foligno are still here come next season. I like Shannon, he's useful in all areas but we also have a plethora of injuries at forward AND we traded away a bunch of guys. Someone was destined to improve their performance, and I'm quite surprised that it was Shannon over Foligno.

A big thing working for shannon is his PK, he's really using that as an asset. That would be the main reason to keep him, but in terms of versatility, you gotta create some space for other players like Condra and Greening (especially him). I'm in favor of keeping shannon but someone else has gotta go then

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

Apart from Laich, Yost has mentioned Chad LaRose or Kopecky as potential FA's the Sens are looking at. Purely speculative on his part.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cowen and Rundblad will both make the team. They will find a way to make it happen.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

strachattack wrote:Apart from Laich, Yost has mentioned Chad LaRose or Kopecky as potential FA's the Sens are looking at. Purely speculative on his part.

But why? Not that I'm disputing what Yost is speculating, but I don't understand the attraction to a player like Kopecky or LaRose. They play hard, they work hark and they score in the teens, but we need to get some of the young guys in there so they can learn the ways of the NHL. As it is right now, we have enough guys to fill out the lineup, if we were going to make a move it would have to be for a guy that can score 25 goals without too much of a question.

Glencross perhaps, he has the touch around the net to net 20+, Laich for sure because he can score 20+ and he's a rock solid leader, but I think we need to be patient and not acquire any player who can't make a very noticeable difference. Otherwise, I truly think that it's better for us to do what we've been doing since we traded Fisher, Kelly etc., just letting the younger guys get a taste, seeing what works, letting Spezza have a much bigger role etc.

A healthy Michalek and Alfredsson will make a massive difference as well, although I realize that's a big 'if'.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LaRose could be a good signing (it'll mean he'll stop scoring goals AGAINST us).

I'm not sold on Cowen making the team.

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:
strachattack wrote:Apart from Laich, Yost has mentioned Chad LaRose or Kopecky as potential FA's the Sens are looking at. Purely speculative on his part.

But why? Not that I'm disputing what Yost is speculating, but I don't understand the attraction to a player like Kopecky or LaRose. They play hard, they work hark and they score in the teens, but we need to get some of the young guys in there so they can learn the ways of the NHL. As it is right now, we have enough guys to fill out the lineup, if we were going to make a move it would have to be for a guy that can score 25 goals without too much of a question.

Glencross perhaps, he has the touch around the net to net 20+, Laich for sure because he can score 20+ and he's a rock solid leader, but I think we need to be patient and not acquire any player who can't make a very noticeable difference. Otherwise, I truly think that it's better for us to do what we've been doing since we traded Fisher, Kelly etc., just letting the younger guys get a taste, seeing what works, letting Spezza have a much bigger role etc.

A healthy Michalek and Alfredsson will make a massive difference as well, although I realize that's a big 'if'.

I agree with you. I've been somewhat baffled as to why so many are discussing this with such great enthusiasm. I realize Murray mentioned possibly signing (or trading for) another top 6 forward but i'm more keen on letting that extra roster spot go to one of the kids. Unless Murray has some guy in mind he really wants and can deal a second rounder at the draft for then I may be ok with that as well. I've also read if this were to happen it would be for a youngish player with term left on the deal or an RFA. I think the idea would be to fleece a team than needs to shed salary. If that doesn't happen Diddle the FA market and lets see what this young team can do next year.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Brad Richards or bust please. can you imagine a top 6 of:

Michalek-Spezza-Butler
Landeskog-Richards-Alfie.

Tell me that's not a playoff team....tell me! Hopefully spezza and him end up on team canada at the worlds so spezza can put in a good word Drool

Michallica wrote:Brad Richards or bust please. can you imagine a top 6 of:

Michalek-Spezza-Butler

Tell me that's not a playoff team....tell me! Hopefully spezza and him end up on team canada at the worlds so spezza can put in a good word Drool

You want to pay our top two centres $14 million+?

No thanks. You just can't pay two centres #1 money without having to cut corners elsewhere, and eventually that would create problems, especially when our defensive youngsters go beyond their ELCs.

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:At this point, I don't see how we can not re-sign Shannon for next year. He brings too much for too cheap. No brainer, if you ask me.

The only problem is Shannon and Clouston don't mix. He just has Shannon out there too much for my liking.

This is more irony, right? Because Shannon is playing literally every position, and in all situations, right now: top-6 minutes, C and wing and point (on the PP), PP and PK. He's basically taken over the role Vermette vacated 2 years ago.

This. And he's doing it for less money and expectations.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:Brad Richards or bust please. can you imagine a top 6 of:

Michalek-Spezza-Butler

Now there's the UFA signing that would make a world of difference. Only problem is: it's not gonna happen. The Rangers can't wait to throw boatloads of money at him - that is if he doesn't re-sign in Dallas.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I highly doubt brad richards gets $7M in cap hit. Besides, we forget that Gonchar, Alfie, and Phillips will be out of here in the next 3 years, around which time guys like Cowen, Rundblad, and 2011 1st rounder (ottawa) will need contracts. Karlsson gets his due after next season when we rid ourselves of the buyouts....and kuba.

I think its a bold move but yeah I also agree that we don't want to take too much money away from other areas.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum