GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ New Jersey Devils - 7:00pm ET - Tue. Mar. 8, 2011

+12
Hockeyhero22000
Amnesia021
shabbs
rooneypoo
PTFlea
SensHulk
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
spader
stempniaksen
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Greening is an absolute gem, we have a hell of a young power forward emerging IMO.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This team is exciting, we need this year to end ASAP so we can prepare for next year with one of the top 3 picks please.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators  @  New Jersey Devils - 7:00pm ET - Tue. Mar. 8, 2011 - Page 9 M_its_a_trap

Cussing Devils

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Butler grew up in or around Boston. Chances are he was a big Sox/Bruins/Pats fan.

yeah but I remember when he signed he commented on while he grew up in the area he was never a bruins fan and I believe he said he liked the Sens (one reason why he signed with us).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:
Butler grew up in or around Boston. Chances are he was a big Sox/Bruins/Pats fan.

yeah but I remember when he signed he commented on while he grew up in the area he was never a bruins fan and I believe he said he liked the Sens (one reason why he signed with us).

Don't remember this but he probably said "I enjoyed watching them play" or something like that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
People who play the stats game, well, that one falls on its face. Spezza's totals have been on the decline for 4 years, and he hasn't hit a PPG pace in any of those years. Do with that what you will.

I occasionally say incautious things about Spezza when provoked -- the Tin Man comments, for instance, date back to people talking about him as the 'obvious successor' to Alfie some 5-6 months ago. Or people talking about him as one of the top 5 or 10 centres in the game, or an elite player, or a PPG player (he hasn't been for 4 years).

It's interesting that you bring up people who play the stats game in a post where you repeatedly state how Spezza hasn't been a PPG player for 4 years.

OK, here goes.

2007-08: 76 34-58-92 -- 92 points in 76 games, certainly PPG
2008-09: 82 32-41-73
2009-10: 60 23-34-57
2010-11: 46 12-22-34

While it certainly appears that he's not going to hit the PPG pace this year, this will be the *third* year in a row. One of those years he hit 57 in a 60 game season.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:Greening is an absolute gem, we have a hell of a young power forward emerging IMO.

That Condra kid ain't bad either. Wink

Also, I haven't read the whole thread but holy crap did you see Spezza playing possessed on the 5 on 3? Wins a faceoff, wins the battle for the puck and gets it down the ice. Gets his stick on a Devils player to eliminate an almost sure goal at another point during a 5 on 3. Absolute monster game. Throw in a sick offensive zone dangle and pass for the game winner.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/03/08/17544791.html

In fact, the Senators also haven’t given up a power play goal since Anderson arrived. They are 27-for-27 in the kills...

Ahhhhh!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Greening is an absolute gem, we have a hell of a young power forward emerging IMO.

Also, I haven't read the whole thread but holy crap did you see Spezza playing possessed on the 5 on 3? Wins a faceoff, wins the battle for the puck and gets it down the ice. Gets his stick on a Devils player to eliminate an almost sure goal at another point during a 5 on 3. Absolute monster game. Throw in a sick offensive zone dangle and pass for the game winner.

Since no other team wants him, under normal circumstances, perhaps it's time to sell high?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think it also helps to go through this kind of adversity coupled with his age and possibly fatherhood?

It certainly doesn't hurt. It looks more and more like the Mississauga Miracle is on his way to being the player and leader some of us have been expecting him to become and had said he would become for at least several months.

Like I said to Cap, lets not pretend Spezza wasn't at a cross road, his career was close to becoming that of a Pierre Turgeon, a guy that would get the points but not really be a leader or a guy to be counted on.

Right now, for sure he is starting to show signs that he could be that guy going forward, but he's not there yet but it's encouraging to say the least watching him play right now, getting points or not.

I certainly didn't. The only thing I will say is that I didn't merely write Double-M off and assume he would take a wrong direction when he came to that crossroad.

Try to stay on topic please. What does this have to do with Milan Michalek? Sarcasm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I'm glad Neely is arguing me case for me. LOL.

I have long since acknowledged that Spezza is starting to play a better game, and that I'd be ecstatic to see him become a 70-80 point-player who is a key guy, playing all situations. But what I want to see is a consistent run for him, where he does both things, in situations that matter, consistently. Say what you will, he just hasn't done that yet, and a lot of that has to do with health.

People who play the stats game, well, that one falls on its face. Spezza's totals have been on the decline for 4 years, and he hasn't hit a PPG pace in any of those years. Do with that what you will.

I occasionally say incautious things about Spezza when provoked -- the Tin Man comments, for instance, date back to people talking about him as the 'obvious successor' to Alfie some 5-6 months ago. Or people talking about him as one of the top 5 or 10 centres in the game, or an elite player, or a PPG player (he hasn't been for 4 years). You don't hear me say that stuff unless some idiot sees Spezza have a 4-point game & then declares that "obviously he's a PPG+ player, elite, a fantastic player, etc." It's that stupid-Donkey bravado and inattention to context that drives me up the wall and leads me to making fun of Spezza when what I'm really making fun of is the stupid point of view.

You stick to the facts, and you'll see that I'm actually a Spezza supporter and have been since 1 July 2010. I'm just not willing to sit down quietly and have people lie to my face and others about what Spezza is. If Spezza becomes a Toews-esque player, I will be positively delighted. But I'm still waiting to see it on a consistent basis.

To clarify he's always been a PPG in the playoffs when the chips are down and when it matters most but I really don't care if he's a PPG or .95 PPG (See last season).

Really all this comes down to is most of us "dreamers" didn't write off Spezza as early as a couple seasons ago and he's proving to us that he can grow and mature at the ripe old age of 27.

I hate this argument more than anything in the world. Last year the chips were down and he burried The Sens with that play in game 4 where he gave it away at the blueline. The only time I'll bring that up is when people say "he's a PPG player in the playoffs when it matters". That was the worst play he made in his entire NHL career and it basically cost The Sens the series. That's when the fans turned on him.

Just wanted to dispel the myth of Spezza not being a PPG for the past 3 seasons is all. Call me funny that way when that is pointed out and it is false.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

single best game Spezza has ever played in The NHL. I won't even debate it. He did everything right, everything. There was way too much he did to help the team win that game to discuss. He was pretty close to perfect. Unbelievable.

Funny how last night they started off the broadcast talking about exactly what we were talking about yesterday, how Spezza has seemed to really embrace the leadership role he's been given and how he's been playing better hockey than he ever has. I don't think you will hear anyone comaplain about the hockey he's playing unless it's one of those people who see the box score and base their opinion on that or his stats, like I have said they have never been important.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I have long since acknowledged that Spezza is starting to play a better game, and that I'd be ecstatic to see him become a 70-80 point-player who is a key guy, playing all situations. But what I want to see is a consistent run for him, where he does both things, in situations that matter, consistently. Say what you will, he just hasn't done that yet, and a lot of that has to do with health.

I occasionally say incautious things about Spezza when provoked -- the Tin Man comments, for instance, date back to people talking about him as the 'obvious successor' to Alfie some 5-6 months ago. Or people talking about him as one of the top 5 or 10 centres in the game, or an elite player, or a PPG player (he hasn't been for 4 years). You don't hear me say that stuff unless some idiot sees Spezza have a 4-point game & then declares that "obviously he's a PPG+ player, elite, a fantastic player, etc." It's that stupid-Donkey bravado and inattention to context that drives me up the wall and leads me to making fun of Spezza when what I'm really making fun of is the stupid point of view.

You stick to the facts, and you'll see that I'm actually a Spezza supporter and have been since 1 July 2010. I'm just not willing to sit down quietly and have people lie to my face and others about what Spezza is. If Spezza becomes a Toews-esque player, I will be positively delighted. But I'm still waiting to see it on a consistent basis.

To clarify he's always been a PPG in the playoffs when the chips are down and when it matters most but I really don't care if he's a PPG or .95 PPG (See last season).

Really all this comes down to is most of us "dreamers" didn't write off Spezza as early as a couple seasons ago and he's proving to us that he can grow and mature at the ripe old age of 27.

I hate this argument more than anything in the world. Last year the chips were down and he burried The Sens with that play in game 4 where he gave it away at the blueline. The only time I'll bring that up is when people say "he's a PPG player in the playoffs when it matters". That was the worst play he made in his entire NHL career and it basically cost The Sens the series. That's when the fans turned on him.

Just wanted to dispel the myth of Spezza not being a PPG for the past 3 seasons is all. Call me funny that way when that is pointed out and it is false.

As in hasn't hit a PPG in this his 3rd straight season? Ummm, how is that even debatable? He hasn't. This is his 3rd straight season without hitting that mark. Again, I personally don't care if he does or not but he hasn't been a PPG in that time.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:Spezza is a treat to watch these days

The Mississauga Miracle?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

As in hasn't hit a PPG in this his 3rd straight season? Ummm, how is that even debatable? He hasn't. This is his 3rd straight season without hitting that mark. Again, I personally don't care if he does or not but he hasn't been a PPG in that time.

So I suppose the playoffs don't count in this discussion? Last season, during the playoffs or second season he was a PPG. Don't care either and don't care about how you view his play either. Just setting the record straight. FACT I believe is the word you like to end with.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

He didn't hit a PPG last year, he didn't hit a ppg the year before, and probably won't hit a PPG this year... how is that not a "FACT"? Even with the playoffs he wasn't at a PPG last year. Do I need to actually do the addition for you?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:He didn't hit a PPG last year, he didn't hit a ppg the year before, and probably won't hit a PPG this year... how is that not a "FACT"? Even with the playoffs he wasn't at a PPG last year. Do I need to actually do the addition for you?

Perhaps I didn't make it clear. Regular season and playoffs are two different things and from what I gather playoffs are held in a higher regard than regular season.

It's also referred to as the "second season". Stats are also kept seperate so as in the regular season over the past three seasons he hasn't hit that mark. however, during the Second season aka playoffs, generally regarded as when the games count, he has been a PPG as recently as last season.

That just about clear it up for you.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
NEELY wrote:He didn't hit a PPG last year, he didn't hit a ppg the year before, and probably won't hit a PPG this year... how is that not a "FACT"? Even with the playoffs he wasn't at a PPG last year. Do I need to actually do the addition for you?

Perhaps I didn't make it clear. Regular season and playoffs are two different things and from what I gather playoffs are held in a higher regard than regular season.

It's also referred to as the "second season". Stats are also kept seperate so as in the regular season over the past three seasons he hasn't hit that mark. however, during the Second season aka playoffs, generally regarded as when the games count, he has been a PPG as recently as last season.

That just about clear it up for you.

Clears it right up sure. He was a PPG player in the playoffs last year, cool. He was awful in the playoffs last year.

Anyways, why do you have to bring up this stupid little stat that is pretty close to meaningless in the grand scheme of things when he jsut finished playing his best game as a professional hockey player? It's like you want people to trash him just so you can flash the "PPG" stat where it can be used. It dumbs everything down to a level that is borders on stupid and ignorant.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum