GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes

+21
LeCaptain
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Straight Shooter
wprager
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
Hoags
stempniaksen
cash
22_4_ever
Ev
dennycrane
Riprock
SensFan71
TheAvatar
SensHulk
asq2
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:I see nothing wrong with the trade. Better than letting him walk for free.

He's 35, a pending UFA and replaceable.

Not to mention he sucks now, he takes more penalties than he draws, players like him are worth more to playoff-bound teams which we are not.

Plus we dump some salary.

More or less what I expected.

agreed ruutu has been a healthy scratch and horrible at least we get something

32Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:29 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's nothing 'wrong' with the trade, but holy Dung, the market for Jarkko Ruutu was terrible. I thought Murray would at least get an f-ing 4th for him. Damn.

33Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:30 pm

dennycrane

Veteran
Veteran

Michallica wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:Brutal return. An alcoholic McGrattan was traded for a 5th and we can't even get the same for a playoff tested vet nearing the deadline?

I would almost prefer to keep Ruutu for the rest of the year so we don't gut Binghampton then trade him for such an underwhelming return.

Laugh1 Beerjumping

Don't forget Muckity-Muck-Muck was a consultant for Phoenix when they made that trade.

My first thought on this trade was to remember when the Sens traded a 6th to get Martin Lapointe.

I doubt Ducks fans are planning the parade route just yet. But if they wanted to, it would be:
1. Enter arena parking lot
2. Do 3 laps

34Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's like those benefits plan submissions -- your plan pays 90% of it leaving 10% for coordination of benefits. On a $90 dentist visit it's hardly worth the trouble filling out the paperwork.

Of course in this case it's a little more than that. One third the difference between $1.1M and league minimum is a bit more them my example above. But I'd be the paperwork is more, also, and what will a lawyer's fee be for that?

35Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Its not so much the trade that's terrible but the timing.....is murray giving in too early? I think he is. You know I bet someone would have at least given a 5th or a 4th on deadline day. If he's traded for a 6th on deadline day, then we know that the market for him was only this but I have a tough time believing it with deadline day still 10 days away

36Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:Its not so much the trade that's terrible but the timing.....is murray giving in too early? I think he is. You know I bet someone would have at least given a 5th or a 4th on deadline day. If he's traded for a 6th on deadline day, then we know that the market for him was only this but I have a tough time believing it with deadline day still 10 days away

That too.

37Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:32 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:There's nothing 'wrong' with the trade, but holy Dung, the market for Jarkko Ruutu was terrible. I thought Murray would at least get an f-ing 4th for him. Damn.

I am with you there, but guess you and I overvalue Ruutu compared to the hockey market.

38Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:33 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

22_4_ever wrote:
Maybe it's you that over value the player...

Ben Eager went for a 5th round pick. Voros for a 7th round pick. That puts Ruutu right in the return we got for him. It's another case of the value of Ruutu to this team is more than his value in a trade. With that said, I firmly believe that Melnyk is driving this bus and while he isn't making the deals he's putting pressure on Murray to get a return on every FA that Ottawa is not going to re sign.

Melnyk has ordered that salary is to be shed and no one is going to get in the way of that happening.
Yeah you make valid points. I've considered them before, but I think the accumulation of poor trades has just finally p*ssed me off. I agree that the value is consistent with those two players, but it makes no sense to hurry players out the door like this.

As for overvaluing the player, I may or I may not have overvalued him. What I know for sure is that more than just Anaheim would have inquired about him. That 6th round pick, 10 days before the deadline, can't possibly be the best it would get. Why not pay the extra $20 thousand it takes to keep him here for the next few days and maybe move up a round?

Melnyk is going to save a solid 5-6 million once all these players have been moved out, so why damage the return by rushing them out the door to save a couple hundred thousand dollars? He's running a business. First rule is maximizing your return. What they're doing is not maximizing the ROA's...

39Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:33 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:There's nothing 'wrong' with the trade, but holy Dung, the market for Jarkko Ruutu was terrible. I thought Murray would at least get an f-ing 4th for him. Damn.

Deadline trades that are overpayments are usually for the high-end talent.

If Murray's trading were like a round of golf, I think he has parred the first three holes.

40Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Its not so much the trade that's terrible but the timing.....is murray giving in too early? I think he is. You know I bet someone would have at least given a 5th or a 4th on deadline day. If he's traded for a 6th on deadline day, then we know that the market for him was only this but I have a tough time believing it with deadline day still 10 days away

If you want to move up to the 4th or 5th round, it can be easily done at the draft. It happens all the time.

Getting a 6th instead of a 4th is no big deal, IMO.

41Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:35 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

cash wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:

Ben Eager went for a 5th round pick. Voros for a 7th round pick. That puts Ruutu right in the return we got for him. It's another case of the value of Ruutu to this team is more than his value in a trade. With that said, I firmly believe that Melnyk is driving this bus and while he isn't making the deals he's putting pressure on Murray to get a return on every FA that Ottawa is not going to re sign.

Melnyk has ordered that salary is to be shed and no one is going to get in the way of that happening.
Yeah you make valid points. I've considered them before, but I think the accumulation of poor trades has just finally p*ssed me off. I agree that the value is consistent with those two players, but it makes no sense to hurry players out the door like this.

As for overvaluing the player, I may or I may not have overvalued him. What I know for sure is that more than just Anaheim would have inquired about him. That 6th round pick, 10 days before the deadline, can't possibly be the best it would get. Why not pay the extra $20 thousand it takes to keep him here for the next few days and maybe move up a round?

Melnyk is going to save a solid 5-6 million once all these players have been moved out, so why damage the return by rushing them out the door to save a couple hundred thousand dollars? He's running a business. First rule is maximizing your return. What they're doing is not maximizing the ROA's...

No you don't know this.

Why is this traded even being analyzed? It's such a minor deal Laugh1

42Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter
Rookie
Rookie

I can't wait to see how bad our pk looks now. Cash, seaway, roche, stempniaksen, I agree, Murray has no clue how to trade and he needs to stop this insanitty.

43Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:36 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
Hoags wrote:I see nothing wrong with the trade. Better than letting him walk for free.

Not to mention he sucks now, he takes more penalties than he draws, players like him are worth more to playoff-bound teams which we are not.

Which is just dumb DUMB friggin management of your assets. You don't make a player look like sh*t when you know you'll be looking to trade him. Christ!

44Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:39 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

I still think Melnyk wants to clear salary now, not in 10 days. Plus it's entirely possible that Anaheim was the only team inquiring about him or the only want offereing a 6th, maybe others would have been a 7th and we take a contract back.

To be honest the pick is about what I expected, I'd rather a prospect than a 6th round pick this year. This draft just isn't that deep and unless they have a boat load of guys on the radar that they figure will be around the 5th/6th rounds they want then a prospect (even a long term one) would have been better.

I'd have loved a Bonino or a Smith-Pelly

45Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:40 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:

No you don't know this.

Why is this traded even being analyzed? It's such a minor deal Laugh1
For me, the discussion is about the series of trades that have taken place over the past week.

And are you honestly trying to tell me that you believe only one trade had any interest in a proven and consistent commodity. Regardless of his value, he's played the same game for the past 10 years and has been a more dangerous offensive producer since coming to Ottawa.

This trade may be minor, but it's still nonsense. I'm not enjoying this rebuild.

46Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:40 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

cash wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:

Which is just dumb DUMB friggin management of your assets. You don't make a player look like sh*t when you know you'll be looking to trade him. Christ!

This I completely agree with and why i figured Murray would eventually have got pissed and relieved Clouston to take over himself. He's with the team on road trips now anyway so he can tell the guys personally when deals are made, so why not coach and that way you can put the guys you want traded in the best positions available..

47Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Straight Shooter wrote:I can't wait to see how bad our pk looks now. Cash, seaway, roche, stempniaksen, I agree, Murray has no clue how to trade and he needs to stop this insanitty.

So you don't want Ruutu traded so our PK doesn't suffer this season? scratch

48Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes - Page 3 Empty Re: Ruutu Traded to Anaheim per Mendes Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

And what happens if you can't move him at the deadline, you are stuck with him. Sometimes it might be best to get something now, rather than outthinking yourself. Ruttu has been benched and his play when he is in the lineup has been terrible and taking horrible penalties, and from some accounts he has become a bit of a problem.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum