GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trade Bonanza 2011! Speculation, Rumours, the Works!

+32
LeCaptain
ddt
asq2
Amnesia021
beedub
garblar
Hobiesens
SDH89
SensGirl11
stempniaksen
tim1_2
shabbs
The Silfer Server
CockRoche
Riprock
sandysensfan
dennycrane
strachattack
SensHulk
SensFan71
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
Flo The Action
Ev
22_4_ever
SeawaySensFan
Oglethorpe
TheAvatar
rooneypoo
PTFlea
spader
36 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 33 of 67]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I'd argue that we have many potential Folignos in our system. He will never be a big scorer if that's what you are fearing giving up.

I'd argue that giving up a young player in a re-build is not only counter productive and counter intuitive it's also stupid and makes little to no sense. You trade the Veterans not the youth. Pretty simple really.

I agree... but I'm awfully glad that you said it this way and not me. Laugh1

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I'd argue that we have many potential Folignos in our system. He will never be a big scorer if that's what you are fearing giving up.

I'd argue that giving up a young player in a re-build is not only counter productive and counter intuitive it's also stupid and makes little to no sense. You trade the Veterans not the youth. Pretty simple really.

I agree... but I'm awfully glad that you said it this way and not me. Laugh1

I did come off quite cranky there didn't I. I apologize. I'll blame it on lack of sleep and lack of caffeine.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's kind of funny. I feel like a cranky beatch today too.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:That's kind of funny. I feel like a cranky beatch today too.

Here, here. Marking 90 1st-year papers in the span of 5 days will do that, tho'. Mad

Seriously, tho', I don't want to trade Foligno, or Michalek for that matter. Both of those guys strike me as integral to the new leadership for this team. Ditto Winchester.

Foligno will probably be, at best, a 20G / 40-50 P kind of player, but he brings other things to the table, too, as do the other two.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Agreed rooneypoo. Trading Foligno for other prospects or youth is risky and could be at best a spinning your wheels kind of move. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I also don't think moving Michalek makes sense either. Sure he's an injury risk but at his cap hit, his production historically, his age, and his speed (Yes he's showing it now) he's a great fit. He's also that power forward that everyone wants on their team.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I like Michalek too, when he's healthy. I think he's exactly the kind of winger we want going forward (assuming the injuries subside)....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

In Ottawa, I still expect Kovalev to be traded by the 28th, and Pittsburgh seems the front runner. Chris Phillips situation is different, he has said publically he wants an extension, but I'm told no formal offer has come from Sens management. The Sens are really gutting the team and Chris Neil, Filip Kuba, and even Milan Michalek are all on the block. Alfredsson and Karlsson seem the only untouchables.

http://hockeybroads.com/threads/25152-Quick-Hits-with-5-days-to-go-before-the-Trade-Deadline?p=1058140#post1058140

If Michalek is traded, I won't be pleased unless the return is eye-popping.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Michalek is high risk/high reward in a trade. He could get 35 next year or he could blow out his knees and retire.

He is kind of like Fisher in that I really like the player and the effort but the stats do not equal the value of the contract.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

I don't know how many of you have had a major knee injury but it can take over a year to recover and get "back to normal" and I'll be honest, once you open your knee up for surgery you are never back to normal.

It doesn't surprise me that it's taken Michalek up until now to start getting back into the playing form he was before the injury.

Still, if the return is good then he's a player I'd consider only because he's playing on two rebuilt knees...they are never as strong as they once were and as mentioned he's one more major knee injury away from possibly calling it a career.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Wow...

We all know the moves that have been made for picks in the upcoming draft, but it was just mentioned on the radio that as it stands right now there are 6 picks in the top 62 (if you count Ottawa's 3rd round pick as it stands now) and that can improve to 7 in the top 62 if Nashville makes the 2nd round.

That means Ottawa will have 1/9th of the picks in the first 3 rounds. Man that's staggering, and than could improve if PHillips is traded or another player for a 1st or 2nd round pick. It's possible that with Nashville going to the 2nd round and a 1st round pick for Phillips we'll have 8 of 62 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Holy crap...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

22_4_ever wrote:I don't know how many of you have had a major knee injury but it can take over a year to recover and get "back to normal" and I'll be honest, once you open your knee up for surgery you are never back to normal.

It doesn't surprise me that it's taken Michalek up until now to start getting back into the playing form he was before the injury.

Still, if the return is good then he's a player I'd consider only because he's playing on two rebuilt knees...they are never as strong as they once were and as mentioned he's one more major knee injury away from possibly calling it a career.

I've heard the exact opposite from a Doctor. I've been told that it's all mental and they are in fact stronger than before or this Doctor could wrong.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:I don't know how many of you have had a major knee injury but it can take over a year to recover and get "back to normal" and I'll be honest, once you open your knee up for surgery you are never back to normal.

I've heard the exact opposite from a Doctor. I've been told that it's all mental and they are in fact stronger than before or this Doctor could wrong.

Both my knees have been worked on..one major the other torn meniscus. All I know is that nature created our bodies a certain way. You start to open things up and root around and things are never the same. Maybe it was the surgeon (in my case one of the best in Canada and sports medicine) but they have never been as good.

Now the mental aspect is absolutely true. It took me over 2 years to finally get back to the point where I would try to do things at 100% speed/agility that I once did. To this day there is always that thought in my head of what if I push it too hard.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

22_4_ever wrote:Wow...

We all know the moves that have been made for picks in the upcoming draft, but it was just mentioned on the radio that as it stands right now there are 6 picks in the top 62 (if you count Ottawa's 3rd round pick as it stands now) and that can improve to 7 in the top 62 if Nashville makes the 2nd round.

That means Ottawa will have 1/9th of the picks in the first 3 rounds. Man that's staggering, and than could improve if PHillips is traded or another player for a 1st or 2nd round pick. It's possible that with Nashville going to the 2nd round and a 1st round pick for Phillips we'll have 8 of 62 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Holy crap...

Plus, the way Kovalev's playing, there might be a nice offer of a 2nd - even if we have to add in a 5th.

Also, Neil is being shopped - too many rumours not to be true, that would also be a 2nd IMO.

Plus, Campoli might go - again, a 2nd+ please.

And then one or more surprises no doubt - like a Michalek (don't do it), Kuba (do it!) or even Gonchar (don't do it!)

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

You'd be trading a young player for an even younger player, so in this case, yeah it makes perfect sense.

That's like saying we shouldn't trade Bobby Butler for Chris Stewart because Bobby Butler is young.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
You'd be trading a young player for an even younger player, so in this case, yeah it makes perfect sense.

That's like saying we shouldn't trade Bobby Butler for Chris Stewart because Bobby Butler is young.

Yeah, I gave up trying to explain that Bogosian is literally 500 times better than Foligno.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:That's kind of funny. I feel like a cranky beatch today too.

Here, here. Marking 90 1st-year papers in the span of 5 days will do that, tho'. Mad

Seriously, tho', I don't want to trade Foligno, or Michalek for that matter. Both of those guys strike me as integral to the new leadership for this team. Ditto Winchester.

Foligno will probably be, at best, a 20G / 40-50 P kind of player, but he brings other things to the table, too, as do the other two.

You don't use TA's?

If I ever take your class, give me an A just for being a fellow GMHockey member.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:Michalek is high risk/high reward in a trade. He could get 35 next year or he could blow out his knees and retire.

He is kind of like Fisher in that I really like the player and the effort but the stats do not equal the value of the contract.
I highly doubt Michalek will ever sniff 35 goals. From what I've seen of Milan, his career year may see him get close to 30. He doesn't have the finish of a true goal scorer.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

From the Dreger report about ten minutes ago:
Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray caught the attention of the assembled media this morning when he approached the Senators' bench during their morning skate to talk to defenceman Chris Phillips.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 33 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum