GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trade Bonanza 2011! Speculation, Rumours, the Works!

+32
LeCaptain
ddt
asq2
Amnesia021
beedub
garblar
Hobiesens
SDH89
SensGirl11
stempniaksen
tim1_2
shabbs
The Silfer Server
CockRoche
Riprock
sandysensfan
dennycrane
strachattack
SensHulk
SensFan71
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
Flo The Action
Ev
22_4_ever
SeawaySensFan
Oglethorpe
TheAvatar
rooneypoo
PTFlea
spader
36 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Ottawa should make a play for Weiss if we can...I believe in that move 100%.

Really? You don't think that they'll be asking for picks and prospects? I don't think it makes much sense. Right now I think the best move we can make is to continue shedding salaries and picking up picks and/or prospects. I'd much rather see us collect our bounty at the draft this year, put a young, fresh roster out next year. Depending on how we're playing next year, I think we look at bigger name roster players, but right now they're gonna be asking too much. It's a seller's market right now, therefore the wrong time for a team in our position to buy.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:
Really? You don't think that they'll be asking for picks and prospects? I don't think it makes much sense. Right now I think the best move we can make is to continue shedding salaries and picking up picks and/or prospects. I'd much rather see us collect our bounty at the draft this year, put a young, fresh roster out next year. Depending on how we're playing next year, I think we look at bigger name roster players, but right now they're gonna be asking too much. It's a seller's market right now, therefore the wrong time for a team in our position to buy.

It would really be dependent on what they'd ask for IMO. If it's Nashville's 1st + one of Foligno, Wiercioch, Regin - in that tier of prospect, then I'd do it personally. But then, I've always really liked Weiss as a 2-way player (with offensive pop!) and a pretty good character as well. I think he'd compliment Spezza very well, not only that, it allows Ottawa to draft Landeskog if they're in position to do so and have a really solid core going forward with Michalek, Silfverberg, Regin/Foligno whoever you don't move, Rundblad, Karlsson, Cowen, Lehner.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

I don't think they're gonna move Weiss for Regin and the NSH 1st. If they would, it's a done deal, but I don't think we'd be willing to give up what they'd actually ask.

Also, I don't see the point in moving Foligno out right now. My money says he's looking at 40-45 pts next season. (Book it!) Trading him and a 1st for a 60 pt guy would be silly, IMO.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I don't really get the Weiss thing. He is no better offensively than Mike Fisher and not quite the defensive player. Let's find a REAL 2nd line center somewhere else.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I want Weiss in the worst way, and am completely biased about it.

He's not the right move for this organization right now though.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:I want Weiss in the worst way, and am completely biased about it.

Is he not?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:I don't really get the Weiss thing. He is no better offensively than Mike Fisher and not quite the defensive player. Let's find a REAL 2nd line center somewhere else.

He's a real second line centre and is a hell of a lot better than Fisher offensively. He's been forced to be a #1 centre for a while now.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:I want Weiss in the worst way, and am completely biased about it.

Is he not?

I don't think he is to be honest. It accelerates the rebuild to the point where our top two centers would both be 30+ when we reach our peak years, which would put us back in the same predicament we were at the beginning of this season concerning an aging core (at least at a couple of key positions). For the right price this guy could work, but I think he'll be too expensive and that we should look in another direction (like a younger guy that can be the #2 center for the next 5 years and take over for Spezza after that (Couturier, RNH, ect).

I'm a big proponent of rebuilding quickly, but I would rather stagger the ages between Spezza and our #2 Center if at all possible. That being said if the cost was only NAS pick + something small I would obviously pull the trigger, I just think the price is gonna be considerably higher than that.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Weiss to Ottawa? Source?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Florida needs a centre, so if Weiss is moved, the Panthers asking price will include a centre as part of the return.

Is this why we are suddenly trying to pass Foligno off as a Centre? Where there's smoke...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:
I don't think he is to be honest. It accelerates the rebuild to the point where our top two centers would both be 30+ when we reach our peak years, which would put us back in the same predicament we were at the beginning of this season concerning an aging core (at least at a couple of key positions). For the right price this guy could work, but I think he'll be too expensive and that we should look in another direction (like a younger guy that can be the #2 center for the next 5 years and take over for Spezza after that (Couturier, RNH, ect).

I'm a big proponent of rebuilding quickly, but I would rather stagger the ages between Spezza and our #2 Center if at all possible. That being said if the cost was only NAS pick + something small I would obviously pull the trigger, I just think the price is gonna be considerably higher than that.

I see the argument, but wonder if we could just draft Landeskog to be the new young winger, instead of going young behind Spez?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:Florida needs a centre, so if Weiss is moved, the Panthers asking price will include a centre as part of the return.

Is this why we are suddenly trying to pass Foligno off as a Centre? Where there's smoke...

Foligno is a center because he used to play center, and we have lost Fisher, Kelly, Regin and I believe Winchester is still out of the lineup.

Who else would you put in as the 2nd line center? The B-Sens are in a playoff drive.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Florida needs a centre, so if Weiss is moved, the Panthers asking price will include a centre as part of the return.

Foligno is a center because he used to play center, and we have lost Fisher, Kelly, Regin and I believe Winchester is still out of the lineup.

Who else would you put in as the 2nd line center? The B-Sens are in a playoff drive.

Definitely. Has to be Foligno.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:I don't really get the Weiss thing. He is no better offensively than Mike Fisher and not quite the defensive player. Let's find a REAL 2nd line center somewhere else.

He's a real second line centre and is a hell of a lot better than Fisher offensively. He's been forced to be a #1 centre for a while now.
I disagree, Weiss has hit 61, 60, 48 points in his 3 best years, (he has 8 years in the league). Of Weiss' 324 career points 43% have been on the powerplay. Playing as the 1st line centre means you also centre the 1st PP unit. He is a decent player but IMO he is just like Fisher in that he is better than a 3rd line centre but not good enough to be a 2nd line centre. I think who ever gets him will be disappointed in his production.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

I disagree, Weiss has hit 61, 60, 48 points in his 3 best years, (he has 8 years in the league). Of Weiss' 324 career points 43% have been on the powerplay. Playing as the 1st line centre means you also centre the 1st PP unit. He is a decent player but IMO he is just like Fisher in that he is better than a 3rd line centre but not good enough to be a 2nd line centre. I think who ever gets him will be disappointed in his production.

He's not a 3rd line centre because he's not a grinder-type like Fisher. He plays with Dung players, I think he would much better as a second liner on a decent team. 28 goals and 60 points last year is a decent line for a second-line centre, especially the goal totals.

We need PP points, don't knock a guy for getting 43% PPP.

garblar

garblar
Rookie
Rookie

the thing is though. would he get 28g/60p playing on the 2nd line and not getting the primo pp minutes? doubtful

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:
He's not a 3rd line centre because he's not a grinder-type like Fisher. He plays with Dung players, I think he would much better as a second liner on a decent team. 28 goals and 60 points last year is a decent line for a second-line centre, especially the goal totals.

We need PP points, don't knock a guy for getting 43% PPP.

Sounds like the exact same argument that everyone was making for Fisher...he's not a grinder, he plays with Dung players...I personally don't want an experiment at a 2nd line Center. I want to know we are getting a bonafide #2 C not someone who "should" be.

Last year he played with Horton most of the time and I'd hardly call him Dung. and 2 years ago it was mostly Booth Frolik and Horton. In fact Frolik is really his only constant partner over the last 3 years and he certainly isn't a top player.

With that said, I still don't want an experiment at #2. Why are we in a rush to find a #2 for next year. We aren't going to make the playoffs, or I should said I don't expect us to, so maybe we should be looking for UFA C's in the 2012 season for our #2 assuming the kids coming up don't fill that role or progress enough to warrant looking.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Weiss has as much east/west as he does north/south in his game though - or at least he has when I've watched him. Whereas I would say 80% of Fisher's game is north/south, real variable with Weiss where he can beat you a number of ways.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum