GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto trades Versteeg to Philly for 1st rounder + 3rd rounder

+13
CockRoche
Riprock
spader
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
stempniaksen
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
sandysensfan
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
SensHulk
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

CockRoche wrote:
shabbs wrote:And again, where was this trade on with all the rumour mongers? Out of nowhere...

Haha. I like your style.

+1 to all the posters that don't waste their time on rumors.

I always wonder about rumours. For every deal that goes down there are many more that don't. Maybe what amounts to 'rumours' from legit sources may be deals that were considered/proposed at one point or another. I imagine things can change quickly.

I remember when John Buccigross posted that Heatley is going to LA for Frolov and Stoll.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CockRoche wrote:
shabbs wrote:And again, where was this trade on with all the rumour mongers? Out of nowhere...

Haha. I like your style.

Heh. I'm sure there are all kinds of permutations being discussed by GMs and I have no doubt that when the discussions get serious, they lock it down and go dark.

The closest thing to a valid rumour I think we've seen this season is SensChirp with a heads up an hour before the Fisher trade went down. So, not much really.

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Haha. I like your style.

I always wonder about rumours. For every deal that goes down there are many more that don't. Maybe what amounts to 'rumours' from legit sources may be deals that were considered/proposed at one point or another. I imagine things can change quickly.

I remember when John Buccigross posted that Heatley is going to LA for Frolov and Stoll.

Same here. Not a chance GM's want most of their trade discussions getting out to rival managers, media or the public. If they did leak, it wouldn't be hard to find the rat during the next round trade talks.

Meh, it is just not my thing.

shabbs wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Haha. I like your style.

Heh. I'm sure there are all kinds of permutations being discussed by GMs and I have no doubt that when the discussions get serious, they lock it down and go dark.

The closest thing to a valid rumour I think we've seen this season is SensChirp with a heads up an hour before the Fisher trade went down. So, not much really.

That is the way I see it as well.

To all the people that like rumours, what good is one an hour before it happens?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Media-types are unanimously hailing Jurke as a genius for this deal. Must be a better deal than I thought.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's usually fairly easy to guess where someone is going IMO. There are enough signs that point to a player moving to a specific destination - for example: I'd say Phillips is going to one of three places:

1.Boston
2.Montreal
3.San Jose

I don't buy the BS about Vancouver.

Kuba I could see going to SJ because they'll be okay with the extra year on his contract and DW likes to acquire with that in mind + there's a relationship between DW and Murray - for good or bad + SJ will likely lose the bidding way for Phillips because he's up against two hated rivals in the East.

Kovalev I could easily see going to LA for Hickey - do we need another D-man? No, but we'll take him for the AHL and see what happens.

Ruutu - I could see going to Vancouver again, that I buy. For a 3rd rounder.

And on and on. There's more than a few teams bidding for these players services, I realize that, but thus far these make the most sense to me personally.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Media-types are unanimously hailing Jurke as a genius for this deal. Must be a better deal than I thought.

It's average to below average. Burke gives up a young player who could have excelled with a 2nd line C, 24 years old, 14 goals on a crap team, a very controllable RFA after this year. Isn't that precisely what he wants, but he gives one up? Very queer. I would have expected MacArther to go before Versteeg.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Media-types are unanimously hailing Jurke as a genius for this deal. Must be a better deal than I thought.

Indeed. Not sure I see the greatness of a pick that could be as late as 30th and a 3rd as late as 90th is a fantastic return but I guess we'll see.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:

It's average to below average. Burke gives up a young player who could have excelled with a 2nd line C, 24 years old, 14 goals on a crap team, a very controllable RFA after this year. Isn't that precisely what he wants, but he gives one up? Very queer. I would have expected MacArther to go before Versteeg.

Apparently he's turning that 3rd into someone as good as Versteeg so he basically go that 1st for nothing. Pure Genius.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Supposedly Versteeg didn't like it in Toronto, probably called Burke's BFF Ronnie Wilson names ...

I think Burke was tired of talking to other GMs and hearing "You don't have a 1st round pick again this year ? LOL"

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Indeed. Not sure I see the greatness of a pick that could be as late as 30th and a 3rd as late as 90th is a fantastic return but I guess we'll see.

The Nashville 1st round pick we received for Fisher could be as late as 30th as well. Not sure I see the greatness of that deal either.

How about we just wait and see and let the chips fall where they may?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

Great trade for both teams IMO.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

If Toronto actually picks a player with Philly's 1st, i'll be shocked. I am sure he will pair that pick with Tomas kaberle for a top 5 pick

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

The Nashville 1st round pick we received for Fisher could be as late as 30th as well. Not sure I see the greatness of that deal either.

You're right technically but it's much more likely that Philly's pick will be a very late pick than it is that Nashville "Can't win a round in the playoffs" Predators is of even remotely being considered likely to be 30th. Thanks for trying though.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beedub wrote:If Toronto actually picks a player with Philly's 1st, i'll be shocked. I am sure he will pair that pick with Tomas kaberle for a top 5 pick

Good luck getting a top 5 pick for those two assets. Not from us anyway.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
beedub wrote:If Toronto actually picks a player with Philly's 1st, i'll be shocked. I am sure he will pair that pick with Tomas kaberle for a top 5 pick

Good luck getting a top 5 pick for those two assets. Not from us anyway.

With our 2nd rounder potentially coming in 1 later than that pick, we should be able to get another 1st for Phillips and that 2nd?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

You're right technically but it's much more likely that Philly's pick will be a very late pick than it is that Nashville "Can't win a round in the playoffs" Predators is of even remotely being considered likely to be 30th. Thanks for trying though.

Haha. You are right. The top seeds in the East and West always make it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

I wish I could alter my predictions to support the point I am trying to make at any given moment.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
With our 2nd rounder potentially coming in 1 later than that pick, we should be able to get another 1st for Phillips and that 2nd?

Would you do that though? That's a pretty hefty price to move up 10 spots.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Haha. You are right. The top seeds in the East and West always make it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

I wish I could alter my predictions to support the point I am trying to make at any given moment.

Lets just wait until the playoffs are over for you to tell me I'm right. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum