GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto trades Versteeg to Philly for 1st rounder + 3rd rounder

+13
CockRoche
Riprock
spader
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
stempniaksen
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
sandysensfan
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
SensHulk
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Sounds like Burke is trying to move the 3rd round pick for a roster player that can help now.

Wasn't Versteeg able to help now?

I get the impression that Burke thinks he can parlay that 3rd into a similarly effective player, thus netting him a 1st. This is, of course, conjecture.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Glenncross? lol that would be a steal

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Sounds like Burke is trying to move the 3rd round pick for a roster player that can help now.

A 3rd round pick for a roster player than can help now? Burke's an f-ing genius, I swear.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Indeed. But if you can turn Versteeg into a 1st + a player... then you do it.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Indeed. But if you can turn Versteeg into a 1st + a top-6 forward... then you do it.

fixed!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

What kind of player is a 3rd gonna net you? They'll get nothing for that 3rd - except maybe on draft day to move up 3 spaces.

EDIT: Or the pick itself obviously.

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

What kind of player is a 3rd gonna net you? They'll get nothing for that 3rd - except maybe on draft day to move up 3 spaces.

If they want help now, they can have Kovalev for that 3rd Wink

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:If they want help now, they can have Kovalev for that 3rd Wink

I'm gonna play the greed card. That pick is like a 4th rounder, tell me we can get more for Kovalev. NOTHappy

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Great trade for Toronto IMO. Well done Brian Burke.

Great trade for Philadelphia. Versteeg is a player that needs insulation and in Philly, he gets that.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

CockRoche wrote:Great trade for Toronto IMO. Well done Brian Burke.

Great trade for Philadelphia. Versteeg is a player that needs insulation and in Philly, he gets that.

Good point. He's not really a top-6 guy yet, he falls more in the middle-6. There's no question that he'll play 2nd or 3rd line minutes there. They were counting on him for too much in Toronto.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And again, where was this trade on with all the rumour mongers? Out of nowhere...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:

I'm gonna play the greed card. That pick is like a 4th rounder, tell me we can get more for Kovalev. NOTHappy
We all hope we can... but let's not fool ourselves...

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

We all hope we can... but let's not fool ourselves...

All it takes is for a couple of teams to bid. If we can get, say, Montreal and Pittsburg to target him, we have a chance at seeing a decent return.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Also, that first rounder looks to be in the late 20s range unless it's not Philly's first that TO got out of the deal right?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:And again, where was this trade on with all the rumour mongers? Out of nowhere...

Haha. I like your style.

+1 to all the posters that don't waste their time on rumors.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

CockRoche wrote:
shabbs wrote:And again, where was this trade on with all the rumour mongers? Out of nowhere...

Haha. I like your style.

I always wonder about rumours. For every deal that goes down there are many more that don't. Maybe what amounts to 'rumours' from legit sources may be deals that were considered/proposed at one point or another. I imagine things can change quickly.

I remember when John Buccigross posted that Heatley is going to LA for Frolov and Stoll.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CockRoche wrote:

Haha. I like your style.

Heh. I'm sure there are all kinds of permutations being discussed by GMs and I have no doubt that when the discussions get serious, they lock it down and go dark.

The closest thing to a valid rumour I think we've seen this season is SensChirp with a heads up an hour before the Fisher trade went down. So, not much really.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Haha. I like your style.

I always wonder about rumours. For every deal that goes down there are many more that don't. Maybe what amounts to 'rumours' from legit sources may be deals that were considered/proposed at one point or another. I imagine things can change quickly.

I remember when John Buccigross posted that Heatley is going to LA for Frolov and Stoll.

Same here. Not a chance GM's want most of their trade discussions getting out to rival managers, media or the public. If they did leak, it wouldn't be hard to find the rat during the next round trade talks.

Meh, it is just not my thing.

shabbs wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Haha. I like your style.

Heh. I'm sure there are all kinds of permutations being discussed by GMs and I have no doubt that when the discussions get serious, they lock it down and go dark.

The closest thing to a valid rumour I think we've seen this season is SensChirp with a heads up an hour before the Fisher trade went down. So, not much really.

That is the way I see it as well.

To all the people that like rumours, what good is one an hour before it happens?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum