GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread

+29
NEELY
dennycrane
Oglethorpe
Straight Shooter
stempniaksen
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Hobiesens
Hoags
The Silfer Server
SDH89
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
strachattack
TheAvatar
22_4_ever
CockRoche
SensHulk
spader
shabbs
PTFlea
ddt
Ev
rooneypoo
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
asq2
LeCaptain
33 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 67]

16The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:00 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:By the way, we've got at least five female members now -- two of them post quite regularly; a third one is a bit streaky.

Woohoo. My wife can stop calling this a sausage fest. Wink Seriously though what does that have to do with tank nation?

Re-read the first post. Carefully.

You, sir, are good The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 270956

I try Smile

17The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 am

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The words "Spezza" and "impact" don't go well together. I think we'll be fine.

18The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Spezza is not a take-a-game-in-charge kind of guy. I'm not saying that he makes us worse, but he often 'goes with the flow', complements what's happening. If we were on a big winning streak, he'd ride that wave and help push that forward. Seeing as we're on a terrible losing stretch, however, I don't think he's going to do too much to change that. More goals, hopefully, but probably not a whole lot more wins.

Without Spezza we went from trying to sneak into the playoffs to some members here suggesting we are the worst team in the league.

Is Spezza going to lead us into the playoffs? I don't think Crosby centering Malkin and Ovechkin could do that, at this point. However Spezza *will* make us better, and that's a concern for Tank Nation. I'm not really sure why you even posted at all, other than to slam a player for not being a top-five player league-wide.

The original suggestion was that with Spezza back in the lineup our recent hopes of catching the Islanders *and* Oilers *and* possibly even the Devils are not very likely to be realized. The Devils have been playing a lot better, lately, so there's hope they'll pass everyone. The Oilers and Islanders, however, have continued to play very inconsistently. We could not catch them going winless in 13 of 14 games; we're not going to catch them now because with Spezza in the lineup we *will* win more games.

Dude, please put me on ignore. I don't have time for this.

If you don't have time for this then you really shouldn't post silly stuff. Trust me, I don't discount everything you say just because. I seem to be one of the few supporting your stance on Phillips. Saying that adding Spezza to a losing lineup means we will score a few more goals but won't win any more games just shows how much you can't stand #19.

19The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:14 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:The words "Spezza" and "impact" don't go well together. I think we'll be fine.

Agreed.

20The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:16 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Spezza is not a take-a-game-in-charge kind of guy. I'm not saying that he makes us worse, but he often 'goes with the flow', complements what's happening. If we were on a big winning streak, he'd ride that wave and help push that forward. Seeing as we're on a terrible losing stretch, however, I don't think he's going to do too much to change that. More goals, hopefully, but probably not a whole lot more wins.

Without Spezza we went from trying to sneak into the playoffs to some members here suggesting we are the worst team in the league.

Is Spezza going to lead us into the playoffs? I don't think Crosby centering Malkin and Ovechkin could do that, at this point. However Spezza *will* make us better, and that's a concern for Tank Nation. I'm not really sure why you even posted at all, other than to slam a player for not being a top-five player league-wide.

The original suggestion was that with Spezza back in the lineup our recent hopes of catching the Islanders *and* Oilers *and* possibly even the Devils are not very likely to be realized. The Devils have been playing a lot better, lately, so there's hope they'll pass everyone. The Oilers and Islanders, however, have continued to play very inconsistently. We could not catch them going winless in 13 of 14 games; we're not going to catch them now because with Spezza in the lineup we *will* win more games.

If you don't have time for this then you really shouldn't post silly stuff. Trust me, I don't discount everything you say just because. I seem to be one of the few supporting your stance on Phillips. Saying that adding Spezza to a losing lineup means we will score a few more goals but won't win any more games just shows how much you can't stand #19.

Read the post again; that's not what I said -- I didn't say he wouldn't help us win "any" games, but that he won't help us win "many" games. Spezza is not a take-the-team-on-his-back kind of guy. That's not a slam, just the way it is. He will help a winning team win, but he's not going to make a loser into a winner.

21The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 am

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:

I'll agree that Spezza coming back will translate to a few more wins, but I also agree with Dr. Poo's assessment about Spezza being a ride the wave type and won't be taking this team on his shoulders. I doubt he translates into many more wins.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team (even with Spezza) isn't any one player away from being competitive. Spezza may only help to keep the scores a little closer, because this team is BAD. The goaltender isn't even AHL calibre when Elliott plays, and Lehner shouldn't be up here. The defense is awful and the offense is pathetic. The management team is mailing it in and although Clouston is trying to find a winning formula (hint: there isn't one in Ottawa this season), he seems lost.

The way the Devils and Islanders are playing, it's likely that they'll pass us, even with Spezza coming back. I'm totally fine with the Oilers finishing last, since they are basically a lock to take Larsson, leaving us to have our pick of the forward litter.

Note to Dr. Poo: There is no point in bringing up Spezza's name here. It's obvious that some people refuse to believe you can be impartial about him.

22The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 am

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:By the way, we've got at least five female members now -- two of them post quite regularly; a third one is a bit streaky.

Woohoo. My wife can stop calling this a sausage fest. Wink Seriously though what does that have to do with tank nation?

Re-read the first post. Carefully.

Now you're finding inventive ways to point out spelling mistakes. Subtle.

23The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:35 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:

I'll agree that Spezza coming back will translate to a few more wins, but I also agree with Dr. Poo's assessment about Spezza being a ride the wave type and won't be taking this team on his shoulders. I doubt he translates into many more wins.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team (even with Spezza) isn't any one player away from being competitive. Spezza may only help to keep the scores a little closer, because this team is BAD. The goaltender isn't even AHL calibre when Elliott plays, and Lehner shouldn't be up here. The defense is awful and the offense is pathetic. The management team is mailing it in and although Clouston is trying to find a winning formula (hint: there isn't one in Ottawa this season), he seems lost.

The way the Devils and Islanders are playing, it's likely that they'll pass us, even with Spezza coming back. I'm totally fine with the Oilers finishing last, since they are basically a lock to take Larsson, leaving us to have our pick of the forward litter.

Note to Dr. Poo: There is no point in bringing up Spezza's name here. It's obvious that some people refuse to believe you can be impartial about him.

Yeah, LOL, you're probably right. The funny thing is, I'm a de facto Spezza supporter now, because, as I said back on 1 July 2010, he's ours for the next few years & there's nothing we can do about it. And as I have noted on a number of occasions, he is slowly becoming a better player. The quotient of rookie errors is declining, his face-offs have improved drastically in the last 12 months, & I like that he wants to play all roles & situations. The lack of points has as much to do with the quality of line mates & the team's situation as it does with the fact that Spezza is a complementary player rather than a Messier grab-em-by-the-nuts-&-lead-by-example kind of guy.

As long as we can accept Spezza for what he is, and people don't run their mouths like he's something other than that, I'm fine.

24The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:43 am

rooneypoo wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:

Yeah, LOL, you're probably right. The funny thing is, I'm a de facto Spezza supporter now, because, as I said back on 1 July 2010, he's ours for the next few years & there's nothing we can do about it. And as I have noted on a number of occasions, he is slowly becoming a better player. The quotient of rookie errors is declining, his face-offs have improved drastically in the last 12 months, & I like that he wants to play all roles & situations. The lack of points has as much to do with the quality of line mates & the team's situation as it does with the fact that Spezza is a complementary player rather than a Messier grab-em-by-the-nuts-&-lead-by-example kind of guy.

As long as we can accept Spezza for what he is, and people don't run their mouths like he's something other than that, I'm fine.

Agreed. As far as the last comment goes, I think as long as he carries that price tag, he will always be looked upon as the guy who should be carrying this team and is the captain-in-waiting etc.

Production wise, it would certainly help though if 1) he could stay healthy for a full (or close to it) 82 games and 2) this team could give him more than one decent winger. That right there proves that he isn't the type to carry this team. Crosby has played about 5 years without a notable winger (save for a quick Hossa stint) and dominates.

25The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:46 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Crosby is a generational player. Not exactly the best example but I see your point Hemmer. I personally am not ready to totally right Spezza off as always and forever being nothing more than a point producer and complementary guy though and evidence to that is his slow and steady progression to a player that can play in all situations.

26The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

hemlock wrote:The way the Devils and Islanders are playing, it's likely that they'll pass us, even with Spezza coming back. I'm totally fine with the Oilers finishing last, since they are basically a lock to take Larsson, leaving us to have our pick of the forward litter.

+ there's always the lottery. Of course, with the team's luck, a team ahead in the standings will probably win it, bumping us down one spot...

27The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:52 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Crosby is a generational player. Not exactly the best example but I see your point Hemmer. I personally am not ready to totally right Spezza off as always and forever being nothing more than a point producer and complementary guy though and evidence to that is his slow and steady progression to a player that can play in all situations.

No, certainly not the best comparison. Laugh1 Just the first one off the topic of my head.

Again, it all goes back to his pay grade. He's being paid as an elite player, and isn't producing like one, and his progression to a more well rounded player (which I freely acknowledge) is probably going a lot more slowly than most people would have hoped. With that sort of salary, he's going to have high expectations heaped upon him, and rightfully so I would think.

28The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 am

ddt wrote:
hemlock wrote:The way the Devils and Islanders are playing, it's likely that they'll pass us, even with Spezza coming back. I'm totally fine with the Oilers finishing last, since they are basically a lock to take Larsson, leaving us to have our pick of the forward litter.

+ there's always the lottery. Of course, with the team's luck, a team ahead in the standings will probably win it, bumping us down one spot...

That'd be a huge kick in the junk wouldn't it? Dammit!

29The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:54 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think a prime example of Spezza's impact will be when we beat the Isles on Saturday (unfortunately). Right now, he'll eat crap teams for breakfast, it's not until he has any kind of supporting cast that we'll be beating anyone else.

We can't win many games here, so let's tank with dignity. I need one of Landeskog or RHN (preferably), no time for little winning streaks now. Smile

30The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:07 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I think a prime example of Spezza's impact will be when we beat the Isles on Saturday (unfortunately). Right now, he'll eat crap teams for breakfast, it's not until he has any kind of supporting cast that we'll be beating anyone else.

We can't win many games here, so let's tank with dignity. I need one of Landeskog or RHN (preferably), no time for little winning streaks now. Smile

Exactly. I'm expecting a few more 7-5 losses now. Smile

31The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:09 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I think a prime example of Spezza's impact will be when we beat the Isles on Saturday (unfortunately). Right now, he'll eat crap teams for breakfast, it's not until he has any kind of supporting cast that we'll be beating anyone else.

Me too. Send Lehner back down for the love of God and play Elliott. Change the gameplan to attack to entertain fans a bit and coast to a top 3 pick.

32The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:14 am

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Me too. Send Lehner back down for the love of God and play Elliott. Change the gameplan to attack to entertain fans a bit and coast to a top 3 pick.

Sounds like a plan.

33The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 2011 Tank Nation thread Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:16 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Sounds like a plan.

Exactly. Run and gun would at least make for an entertaining loss. To steal the Fonze's phrase go with a "Safe is death" motto.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum