GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa trade rumours

+28
dawg's wife
Hobiesens
Bramlet07
garblar
TheAvatar
spader
Hoags
asq2
rooneypoo
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
shabbs
The Silfer Server
Sens4thecup
cash
Ev
wprager
stempniaksen
CockRoche
SDH89
dennycrane
Oglethorpe
PTFlea
SensHulk
Cap'n Clutch
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 35]

376Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dawg's wife wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
dawg's wife wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I think if he held on to a few of the guys he picked up in trade we'd be singing a different tune right now.

To that I'd argue that at the time with the playoffs on the horizon most of the trades the majority of the people were happy with. I don't remember too many people screaming about Cullen or Sutton being bad trades...Picard maybe, but really you think having Picard right now would be making a huge difference.

Losing Vermette is the biggest loss (besides Heatley and that's one that was forced on Murray from both Player and Owner), and in the Vermette deal we ended getting Lehner.

Obviously not, but I can tell you I would sooner have Stillman at 3.5 than Kovalev at 5 million right now. I'm not going to get into other examples but I'm sure you get the idea.

Again, I'll comment that you assume that we could have resigned Stillman. I know it's hard to accept, but Ottawa is not a top tier team on Free Agents lists. Ottawa in fact has to hope for plan B players, or overpay for existing FA (see Gonchar). Cullen and Stillman are examples of guys who were not interested in signing here. You can't assume that Bryan Murray has his pick of FA's because that isn't true.

All I said was that if some those guys had stuck around those trades would look better now.

377Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

dawg's wife wrote:
Dash wrote:Drafting vs. Trading vs. poor personnel decisions? I really don't think you can argue that he is good solely on drafting.

Personel decisions is hard to comment about because we assume he had his pick of the litter. It's possible the pool of players willing to sign here was small, and it's possible the Owner was pushing for certain players.

Trading is another beast...please detail to me (aside from Heatley) which trades show him to be a poor GM. I doubt there is more than one and I think I could argue that they are all decent trades...

July 17, 2007 – Traded Peter Schaefer to the Boston Bruins in exchange for Shean Donovan
February 11, 2008 – Traded Joe Corvo and Patrick Eaves to the Carolina Hurricanes for Mike Commodore and Cory Stillman.
February 26, 2008 – Traded a sixth-round draft pick in 2008 (#169, Ben Smith) to the Chicago Blackhawks for Martin Lapointe
June 25, 2008 - Traded Brian McGrattan to the Phoenix Coyotes for the Boston Bruins' fifth-round draft pick in 2009 (#146, Jeff Costello)
August 29, 2008 – Traded Andrej Meszaros to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Filip Kuba, Alexandre Picard and San Jose's first-round draft pick (previously acquired) in 2009.
September 2, 2008 – Traded Lawrence Nycholat to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Ryan Shannon
November 10, 2008 - Traded Alexander Nikulin to the Phoenix Coyotes for Drew Fata
February 20, 2009 – Traded Dean McAmmond and San Jose's first-round draft pick in 2009 (#26, Kyle Palmieri) to the New York Islanders in exchange for Mike Comrie and Chris Campoli
March 4, 2009 - Traded Antoine Vermette to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Pascal Leclaire and a second-round draft pick in 2009 (#46, Robin Lehner).
September 12, 2009 - Traded Dany Heatley and a fifth-round draft pick in 2010 to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and San Jose's second-round draft pick in 2010.
February 12, 2010 - Traded Alexandre Picard and a second-round draft pick in 2011 to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Matt Cullen.
March 2, 2010 - Traded a second-round draft pick in 2010 to the New York Islanders in exchange for Andy Sutton.
June 25, 2010 - Traded a first-round draft pick in 2010(#16, Vladimir Tarasenko) to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for David Rundblad.

DW

If I MUST comment, even though all I did was make a statement saying that one aspect is not enough to make a judgment of his abilities... then:

Hiring and firing 2 coaches in 2 years is a huge sign of poor judgement. How one still has a job after that is very puzzling. I suppose you could apply this to players as well, in that he signed and subsequently bought out same players or traded them. And that some of these players had negative labels attached to them in the community, to sign questionable characters says something about his abilities too.

Of the trades you mentioned, I have a problem with trading picks for players that no longer are here and many of whom contributed nothing to the team. I did not believe the team was good enough with or without those players brought in to win a cup, and giving up picks that turn into players that could very well end up in the NHL is disappointing to a team that lacks depth. I find it funny that Murray thought the team had enough depth to throw away picks like he did.

That is my opinion, and I think I did a good job supporting it.

378Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:35 pm

dawg's wife

Prospect
Prospect

SeawaySensFan wrote:
All I said was that if some those guys had stuck around those trades would look better now.

I get you now...I understand...I'm a woman and sometimes I'm a little slow....

You're right, but we're not the only team that has that issue when it comes to Rental Playoff Players. Dawg has finally drilled it into me that when it comes to playoff rentals, you have to convince yourself that they are not going to be here past the playoffs. if they do it's a bonus, but most never do.

Looking at those trades, there aren't any (besides the heatley) that I would say was a very poor trade. At the time of each one I thought they all had merit and believed in them all. Looking back now, a lot of the players traded away never played in the NHL or played one maybe 2 more years.

379Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:
dawg's wife wrote:
Dash wrote:Drafting vs. Trading vs. poor personnel decisions? I really don't think you can argue that he is good solely on drafting.

Personel decisions is hard to comment about because we assume he had his pick of the litter. It's possible the pool of players willing to sign here was small, and it's possible the Owner was pushing for certain players.

Trading is another beast...please detail to me (aside from Heatley) which trades show him to be a poor GM. I doubt there is more than one and I think I could argue that they are all decent trades...

July 17, 2007 – Traded Peter Schaefer to the Boston Bruins in exchange for Shean Donovan
February 11, 2008 – Traded Joe Corvo and Patrick Eaves to the Carolina Hurricanes for Mike Commodore and Cory Stillman.
February 26, 2008 – Traded a sixth-round draft pick in 2008 (#169, Ben Smith) to the Chicago Blackhawks for Martin Lapointe
June 25, 2008 - Traded Brian McGrattan to the Phoenix Coyotes for the Boston Bruins' fifth-round draft pick in 2009 (#146, Jeff Costello)
August 29, 2008 – Traded Andrej Meszaros to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Filip Kuba, Alexandre Picard and San Jose's first-round draft pick (previously acquired) in 2009.
September 2, 2008 – Traded Lawrence Nycholat to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Ryan Shannon
November 10, 2008 - Traded Alexander Nikulin to the Phoenix Coyotes for Drew Fata
February 20, 2009 – Traded Dean McAmmond and San Jose's first-round draft pick in 2009 (#26, Kyle Palmieri) to the New York Islanders in exchange for Mike Comrie and Chris Campoli
March 4, 2009 - Traded Antoine Vermette to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Pascal Leclaire and a second-round draft pick in 2009 (#46, Robin Lehner).
September 12, 2009 - Traded Dany Heatley and a fifth-round draft pick in 2010 to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and San Jose's second-round draft pick in 2010.
February 12, 2010 - Traded Alexandre Picard and a second-round draft pick in 2011 to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Matt Cullen.
March 2, 2010 - Traded a second-round draft pick in 2010 to the New York Islanders in exchange for Andy Sutton.
June 25, 2010 - Traded a first-round draft pick in 2010(#16, Vladimir Tarasenko) to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for David Rundblad.

DW

If I MUST comment, even though all I did was make a statement saying that one aspect is not enough to make a judgment of his abilities... then:

Hiring and firing 2 coaches in 2 years is a huge sign of poor judgement. How one still has a job after that is very puzzling. I suppose you could apply this to players as well, in that he signed and subsequently bought out same players or traded them. And that some of these players had negative labels attached to them in the community, to sign questionable characters says something about his abilities too.

Of the trades you mentioned, I have a problem with trading picks for players that no longer are here and many of whom contributed nothing to the team. I did not believe the team was good enough with or without those players brought in to win a cup, and giving up picks that turn into players that could very well end up in the NHL is disappointing to a team that lacks depth. I find it funny that Murray thought the team had enough depth to throw away picks like he did.

That is my opinion, and I think I did a good job supporting it.
then again some would say that if muckler took a bit more of chance and traded to get more then saprykin, this team might be sitting behind a cup.

edit: he might not try and win us a cup but business wise the sens/melnyk want to make it past the 1st round. and if i recall if we would of been a healthy team we might of passed MTL. leclaire gave us quite a show.

380Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Someone, I'm not sure who, posted in another thread, I can't remember which: "Where's the GDT???" My question is where are the "Ottawa trade rumours?"

381Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:29 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

dawg's wife wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
dawg's wife wrote:

DW

I think if he held on to a few of the guys he picked up in trade we'd be singing a different tune right now.

[1]To that I'd argue that at the time with the playoffs on the horizon most of the trades the majority of the people were happy with. I don't remember too many people screaming about Cullen or Sutton being bad trades...Picard maybe, but really you think having Picard right now would be making a huge difference.

[2]Losing Vermette is the biggest loss (besides Heatley and that's one that was forced on Murray from both Player and Owner), and in the Vermette deal we ended getting Lehner.

[1]The day I heard Ottawa acquired Sutton I was screaming bloody murder to my friends. Sutton in a nutshell - snail-like speed, takes stupid penalties all the time, defensive liability, limited offensive ability and zero playoff experience with a game tailored to post-season failure.

[2]I cringe everytime I think about how much the Vermette trade has hurt Ottawa these last two seasons and beyond. Thankfully the sting goes away a tiny bit after this season with Leclaire gone. Even then, until and if Lehner becomes a bonafide starting goalie in Ottawa, that trade is one of the worst in Sens franchise history.

382Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:12 am

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

CockRoche wrote:
dawg's wife wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
dawg's wife wrote:

DW

[1]To that I'd argue that at the time with the playoffs on the horizon most of the trades the majority of the people were happy with. I don't remember too many people screaming about Cullen or Sutton being bad trades...Picard maybe, but really you think having Picard right now would be making a huge difference.

[2]Losing Vermette is the biggest loss (besides Heatley and that's one that was forced on Murray from both Player and Owner), and in the Vermette deal we ended getting Lehner.

[1]The day I heard Ottawa acquired Sutton I was screaming bloody murder to my friends. Sutton in a nutshell - snail-like speed, takes stupid penalties all the time, defensive liability, limited offensive ability and zero playoff experience with a game tailored to post-season failure.

[2]I cringe everytime I think about how much the Vermette trade has hurt Ottawa these last two seasons and beyond. Thankfully the sting goes away a tiny bit after this season with Leclaire gone. Even then, until and if Lehner becomes a bonafide starting goalie in Ottawa, that trade is one of the worst in Sens franchise history.

Lots of candidates for the worst in franchise history. Vermette was my favourite player, after Alfredsson. But his game(luck) had fallen off, 9 goals in 62 games before trade. We got a lottery ticket, Lehner and OHIP, Leclaire who is always injured. I agree that this is not a good trade but I believe, unfortunately that there have been many worse.

383Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:23 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The problem with Vermette was, IMO, Fisher. Vermette's was top-six in the league in faceoffs, but Fisher was the 2nd line center. Vermette had enough skill to actually be a bonafide 2nd line center. Fisher could have been a bonafide power forward as a winger. As a centerman, though, he does not have enough creativity, and cannot win half of his faceoffs.

Imagine if we don't make that trade but have Fisher-Vermette-Kovalev as our second line.

384Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:38 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

In light of this latest debacle, I'm a little surprised (and disappointed) at the lack of "Ottawa trade rumours..."

385Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Here's a rumour: we blow!

386Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:10 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Here's a rumour: we blow!

Source?

- Unknown Author

387Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:11 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:Here's a rumour: we blow!

This is a place for "Ottawa trade rumours" not facts. Dancing

388Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'm glad there's no rumours. if we trade this early we're buyers. by the deadline we're sellers. i want us to be sellers. if BM gets replaced i'd like him to have one big mega draft with as many picks as possible.

i'm not saying tank, but i'd rather sell and give some of our young AHL'ers a decent chance.

389Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter
Rookie
Rookie

I can't see Murray being stupid enough to think that he can turn this ship around with a couple trades. I think he will go into full sale mode. Kovalev to the penguins for Comrie, Godard and Casey Pierro-Zabotel. ruutu and leclaire to Philly for Leighton and zherdev. we suck.

390Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Straight Shooter wrote:I can't see Murray being stupid enough to think that he can turn this ship around with a couple trades. I think he will go into full sale mode. Kovalev to the penguins for Comrie, Godard and Casey Pierro-Zabotel. ruutu and leclaire to Philly for Leighton and zherdev. we suck.
hum no picks? what do we get out of it that's worth anything?

391Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think Comrie can be traded, he's on the IR for 3-4 months.

392Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

3rd time's the charm for Comrie in Ottawa lol ? Laugh1

I don't know who would be serious trade bait outside of Phillips and Kovalev.

Campoli maybe, anyone who's a pending free agent, I don't see many teams wanting to take on contracts beyond this season.

393Ottawa trade rumours - Page 26 Empty Re: Ottawa trade rumours Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Regehr for Phillips?

I don't know how Regehr is doing in Calgary. I personally think he's better than Phillips. I'm thinking this trade because:
1) Calgary needs to move in a different direction
2) Calgary needs to shed some salary, and CP4 is a FA and will still make less than Regehr if signed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum