GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait

+8
The Silfer Server
PKC
Phoenix30
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
TheAvatar
asq2
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

According to Jason Gregor from OilersNation.com/The Team 1260 Edmonton:

Quote:
Trade talk is heating up

I mentioned last week how Anaheim and Ottawa have an interest in Ethan Moreau, and that hasn’t changed, although no deal is set in place. But the Oilers have taken more calls and made more calls this week regarding Moreau, Sheldon Souray and Steve Staios. There is some interest out there, and it will be a matter of finding out how serious that interest is.

Staios’ injury might prevent a deal, but he is feeling better and if he can return and play ten games before the Olympic break he could be dealt. Some quiet whispers that once again the Kings might be interested in Souray and maybe even Moreau but right now they are only whispers. It does sound like there is legitimate interest in some of the Oiler veterans.

You’d like to think that that might light get them to play a bit better because Souray and Moreau haven’t played very well for the past ten to fifteen games.

http://oilersnation.com/2010/1/20/gd...s-sort-of-west

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

GTFO of here with Moreau. We don't need another 3rd liner, we need some skill.

Get me Souray. Make it Cheechoo, Campoli and a pick. Sarcasm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hmmm.

Cheechoo (3 million dollars, one more year) + 6th round pick

for

Moreau (2 million dollars, one more year)

Thinking

I would take Moreau ahead of Cheechoo any day of the week. Cheechoo has the stink of lovable loser all over him and it ain't gonna wash off no matter what you do.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Acquiring a guy like Moreau seems to be pretty much within Murray's MO. Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait 270956

Frankly I think we have zero need for the guy.

Souray would be a nice add depending on the price (would he play with Carkner?) but historically he seems to be up-and-down in terms of how his seasons go. Obviously he was very good last year but he's got 12 points and he's -16 this season. Of course, a lot of that can be attributed to the calibre of the team he's on.

The main problem with Souray is his cap-hit. He's got two seasons after this one and I'm not sure how we'd squeeze him in. The combined salary of, say, Kelly and Cheechoo (and it'd take a lot more than that!) is roughly equivalent, but then you've gotta replace those two in the line-up.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Souray is horrid. Big shot from the blue line (which is nice) but you think Kuba's bad defensively? You haven't seen a thing until you see Souray.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:I would take Moreau ahead of Cheechoo any day of the week. Cheechoo has the stink of lovable loser all over him and it ain't gonna wash off no matter what you do.

You need a new Avatar bud. (this coming from the guy with no avatar whose handle is actually TheAvatar (well, maybe that's why I don't need an avatar)). Things that make you go Hmmm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Acquiring a guy like Moreau seems to be pretty much within Murray's MO. Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait 270956

Souray would be a nice add depending on the price (would he play with Carkner?) but historically he seems to be up-and-down in terms of how his seasons go. Obviously he was very good last year but he's got 12 points and he's -16 this season. Of course, a lot of that can be attributed to the calibre of the team he's on.

The main problem with Souray is his cap-hit. He's got two seasons after this one and I'm not sure how we'd squeeze him in. The combined salary of, say, Kelly and Cheechoo (and it'd take a lot more than that!) is roughly equivalent, but then you've gotta replace those two in the line-up.

I would even say that we have negative need for the guy.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:
asq2 wrote:Acquiring a guy like Moreau seems to be pretty much within Murray's MO. Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait 270956

I would even say that we have negative need for the guy.

Likewise. The notion that we would waste resources on even thinking about acquiring this guy makes me sick to my stomach.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would personally think Souray would bounce back, he's been too good for too long offensively to just fade away. Then think about Alfie and Souray on the point. Literally everything changes. As for where he'd play...with Karlsson please. Kuba can move down and play with Carkner.

But yeah, we just don't have the $$ to do it.

As for Moreau, only if they take Cheechoo.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:I would personally think Souray would bounce back, he's been too good for too long offensively to just fade away. Then think about Alfie and Souray on the point. Literally everything changes. As for where he'd play...with Karlsson please. Kuba can move down and play with Carkner.

Souray also adds some grit to the defence and isnt afraid to drop the gloves. Moreau is added heart and leadership to a team and the Oilers will truely miss his leadership when he is gone. You add those guys along with a little skill and this team is truely a contender. The question is where do you get the added forward skill.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I would personally think Souray would bounce back, he's been too good for too long offensively to just fade away. Then think about Alfie and Souray on the point. Literally everything changes. As for where he'd play...with Karlsson please. Kuba can move down and play with Carkner.

Souray also adds some grit to the defence and isnt afraid to drop the gloves. Moreau is added heart and leadership to a team and the Oilers will truely miss his leadership when he is gone. You add those guys along with a little skill and this team is truely a contender. The question is where do you get the added forward skill.

The goaltending is too much of a question mark to make us a serious contender IMO, and we don't really have a lot of room up front. Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Fisher, Kovalev and Foligno I would say is the top-6 when everyone's healthy (Shannon, Regin and Foligno are I guess interchangeable for that title). After those six guys, you've got Shannon, Regin, Neil, Kelly, Winchester and Ruutu who I'd say are staples to the line-up.

That's 12 forwards just there, and on top of that you've got Cheechoo and Donovan as veterans, and Zack Smith as a very capable young guy in the mix.
I don't see how Moreau is enough of an upgrade to not only cost us assets to acquire, but also to push someone out of the line-up. Of those 12 guys, who do you sit for Mr. Moreau? I'm not sure I'd even keep him in the line-up over Smith. I think it reeks of the Martin Lapointe deal, which did absolutely nothing for us.

I'll echo Hem's sentiments (as always) and say that it's pretty pointless to do anything when there are so many question marks and the cap is as it is. Adding Souray, for example, means that you can not only kiss Volchenkov goodbye, but also kiss goodbye any opportunity to replace the A-Train with the Zbynek Zbus.

I'd rather just ride this team out. At the very least, it'll be valuable experience for Karlsson.

I wouldn't mind Sourray (altough I enjoyed it when he played for the habs)Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait 54934

But I don't think I could turn down a deal of lets say:
Sourray for Cheechoo and Lee.

Phoenix30 wrote:

He's also injury prone and not the most defensive of defensemen. Mind you, his shot from the blueline on the PP would be a HUGE lift for the team.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

The goaltending is too much of a question mark to make us a serious contender IMO, and we don't really have a lot of room up front. Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Fisher, Kovalev and Foligno I would say is the top-6 when everyone's healthy (Shannon, Regin and Foligno are I guess interchangeable for that title). After those six guys, you've got Shannon, Regin, Neil, Kelly, Winchester and Ruutu who I'd say are staples to the line-up.

That's 12 forwards just there, and on top of that you've got Cheechoo and Donovan as veterans, and Zack Smith as a very capable young guy in the mix.
I don't see how Moreau is enough of an upgrade to not only cost us assets to acquire, but also to push someone out of the line-up. Of those 12 guys, who do you sit for Mr. Moreau? I'm not sure I'd even keep him in the line-up over Smith. I think it reeks of the Martin Lapointe deal, which did absolutely nothing for us.

I'll echo Hem's sentiments (as always) and say that it's pretty pointless to do anything when there are so many question marks and the cap is as it is. Adding Souray, for example, means that you can not only kiss Volchenkov goodbye, but also kiss goodbye any opportunity to replace the A-Train with the Zbynek Zbus.

I'd rather just ride this team out. At the very least, it'll be valuable experience for Karlsson.

Well said. Unless there's a way to get rid of a few contracts - some of which I don't even want to anymore - I can't really see how Souray can happen.

Again, for me, the only way Moreau comes to the Sens is if we trade problem for problem in Cheechoo for Moreau. The buyout on Moreau (if need be) is obviously less than it would be for Cheechoo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum