GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New PS3 Owners Thread

+15
sens4win
Tuk Tuk
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
smash88
shabbs
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
beedub
caissie_1
SensHulk
wprager
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

151New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:58 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Got mine preordered and saved 5 bucks, so might as well wait for it. 2 days, no big deal Smile

152New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:36 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:Nope, sorry. You might be able to access your account online via the PS3 website.

I got Heavy Rain today, and it is absolutely incredible. Graphically and story wise so far have just been insane. You switch between characters after "completing" a scene, which completely depends on what you do during that scene as the character. You make choices, like eating, drinking, working, playing, etc. Kind of like Sims in that manner. You interact with people and everything is done either using the RS or the X, O, [], /\, L1/2, R1/2 buttons. During fight sequences you attack and defend using the buttons while everything is acted out.

It requires installation to your hardrive and it took a good 5-10 minutes, but it came with a Origami that you follow on-screen steps to make, pretty cool inclusion to pass the time.

It must have been a problem at my e-mail provider's end. The e-mail is finally sitting in my Inbox, with an arrival time of 3:45 PM, but I checked last night before going to bed and it wasn't there yet.

As for "mature" games, I think the last time I played anything like that was networked Quake at work, on the last day before Christmas shut-down. It was almost traditional, you come in and "work" half a day or you have to take a full day off. Easy math. People would typically stroll into the office around 10AM or later, and start making the rounds (Happy Holidays to everyone). Most of the directors (the guys with office doors, not cubicle walls) would have little something to add to your coffee mug. By the time you were done with "rounds" you probably were in no condition to operate a keyboard. Around lunchtime, Quake would begin. What better way to celebrate peace on Earth and mercy mild and all that stuff than shooting everything in sight with a nail gun.

Those days are gone now. It's Hanna Montana on the Wii and Little Big Planet on the PS3, and Sudoku for me. I'll be in my rocking chair. Could you hand me that throw-blanket on the floor?

153New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

You're going to enjoy Heavy Rain I think.

It's going to have replay value too, cause you'll want to go back and choose different outcomes.

It's almost like watching a movie.

154New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:51 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Heavy Rain is the kind of game that will hopefully keep me playing video games. I gave up on playing fighting, sports, plat-formers, music etc kind of games since the beginning of this generation. Was a huge J-RPG fan but a grand total of 1 game satisfied me since Personna 4, so slowly giving up on them too.
THe biggest MGS fan in the world that I am is hoping HEavy Rain and MGS Peace Walker will save my gamer's life.

155New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dell.ca has a $10 off deal on a PS3 controller + Uncharted: Drake's Fortune bundle. $50. Usually it's $55 for the controller by itself.

156New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, time to resurrect this thread. A couple things have happened since I first started this thread (or since the last time I posted).

1. Got a bluetooth headset from Dell.ca for half price. I haven't done so yet, but it can be paired with the PS3.

2. I tried streaming from my desktop/laptop to the PS3 using WMP as the media server. Tried off-and-on for weeks without success. Finally installed PS3 Media Server and managed to get that to work (some stuff in the config and help panels pointed me at some other services that had to be enabled -- none of the instructions I had read had all of them mentioned, and I guess they were not enabled on my PCs by default). Anyhow, I can now download content to my laptop and stream it to my PS3 to watch on the main TV.

3. This is most recent, and what prompted me to post. My kids were checking out YouTube videos before, but I don't remember them being able to do much web browsing. Well, I was just playing a few funny/cool videos on my laptop at wimp.com for the girls (aged almost 8), but then I had to do something so I told them to go play on the PS3. Five minutes later they had somehow figured out how to get to wimp.com on the PS3 and were playing the videos.

I had recently done a s/w upgrade on the PS3 -- is this something new? How many other video streaming sites can be accessed like this -- all of them? I can think of a few that could be really, really interesting/cool (TED.com comes to mind, wimp.com as well, of course) but there are some that would cause a little concern.

Any suggestions? I know I can program some filters in the wireless router to block some sites, but I can't block everything. Are there safeguards built into the PS3 itself?

157New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:34 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

There are, but honestly there's not much risk because nobody is interested in putting a virus on a ps3.

158New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:There are, but honestly there's not much risk because nobody is interested in putting a virus on a ps3.

Not worried about viruses -- worried about content. Have you looked around lately

159New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:48 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

My ps3 wont stay logged onto the PSN, it keeps saying that it has timed out making it hard to play games online. Any reason why it would be doing this? I thought maybe its the wireless router but my laptop has no problem with it.

160New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bramlet07 wrote:My ps3 wont stay logged onto the PSN, it keeps saying that it has timed out making it hard to play games online. Any reason why it would be doing this? I thought maybe its the wireless router but my laptop has no problem with it.

I've had issues with my router where I would occasionally lose my connection. I'd only find out when a page refresh or trying to follow a link would time out. Quickest solution would be to disable/re-enable wireless on my laptop. The number of devices on the wireless LAN may have something to do with it (I have two laptops, iPod and when they're on, a Wii and a PS3 -- the week when the boys were away I only had one laptop and everything was fine). I also played with some other settings, like enabling the auto channel scan and setting up the router's DHCP to always hand the same IP address to my PS3.

161New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:42 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bramlet07 wrote:My ps3 wont stay logged onto the PSN, it keeps saying that it has timed out making it hard to play games online. Any reason why it would be doing this? I thought maybe its the wireless router but my laptop has no problem with it.

Yeah that's been happening to me for 4 years now...don't know why it does that every so often.

The PS3 in general works a lot better with a wired connection. That could help but obviously you probably NEED the wireless.

162New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:41 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Should check on your network connection status what NAT type it is showing, if it is type 3 then it's your router. Type 2 is good.

Generally, PS3 seems to suck on wireless, mine gets a weak signal and is really slow on downloads. I have the original 60Gb, maybe the newer ones are better.

163New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:42 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NAT type? Where do you check that -- in the PS3 menu somewhere or the router? And where (how) do you change that?

For the record, since I don't do any online gaming I really can't comment, but I just have not noticed anything with the PS3 and wireless. Downloads don't seem too fast but, then again, I only have a Rogers Lite (3 Mbps) connection (the router is G, so 54 Mbps, split up between 2 laptops, an iPod and a Wii that are usually not on -- should not be the bottleneck).

164New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:36 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Just wondering if any knows how to fix the Yellow Light of Death

165New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:39 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Phoenix30 wrote:Just wondering if any knows how to fix the Yellow Light of Death

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/YLOD-REPAIR-GUIDE-NEW/m-p/41416218

But if it's still under warranty do that instead.

166New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:Should check on your network connection status what NAT type it is showing, if it is type 3 then it's your router. Type 2 is good.

Generally, PS3 seems to suck on wireless, mine gets a weak signal and is really slow on downloads. I have the original 60Gb, maybe the newer ones are better.

Everytime i check my Internet Connection Test is signs me out of the PSN but still tried to run the test. First half dozen times it failed before it got to the Nat, but when it did complete it the one time it says i have a Type 2 with an download of 1.8mbps and upload of 794.3kbps. Having it a type2 means my router is good?

edit; a windows bubble now keeps poppin up saying there is an IP conflict between another system on the network. Anyway to fix that?

167New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bramlet07 wrote:
Hoags wrote:Should check on your network connection status what NAT type it is showing, if it is type 3 then it's your router. Type 2 is good.

Everytime i check my Internet Connection Test is signs me out of the PSN but still tried to run the test. First half dozen times it failed before it got to the Nat, but when it did complete it the one time it says i have a Type 2 with an download of 1.8mbps and upload of 794.3kbps. Having it a type2 means my router is good?

edit; a windows bubble now keeps poppin up saying there is an IP conflict between another system on the network. Anyway to fix that?

Assuming your router is doing DHCP this should not happen. I wonder if it could be someone else's gear?

168New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:56 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This looks insane!! Almost worth buying a PS3 for this alone. The Wii is going to have a hard time competing with this, they're technology seems more advanced than the Wii already. NUTS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum