GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New PS3 Owners Thread

+15
sens4win
Tuk Tuk
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
smash88
shabbs
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
beedub
caissie_1
SensHulk
wprager
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

16New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:38 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Michallica wrote:hehe I got a ps3 as well for xmas. Then we watched blu ray movies all night, and it was the best xmas ever.

I take it you opened your gifts before Santa had a chance to deliver them, then? What did you watch? My stable of blu rays only has Ultimate Matrix, for now. The latest two Potters arrive some time next week, along with Star Trek. I'll be trolling the websites tomorrow looking for more bargains.

Yeah kinda. Opened it up xmas eve, and we ended up watching terminator salvation, inglorious basterds, and distric 9 on blu-ray. With a 55" inch LCD tv, 120 Hz, it was an unbelievable experience! I got it more for the blu-ray and mkv capabilities than the games, but that's a bonus too. New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 805406

17New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:57 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I must say that The Matrix was a little bit of a let down. I honestly don't see much difference in resolution between blu ray and my old up-converting player (mind you, it was a Faroudja model so it was a good player). I did notice that there was a bit more color.

I think I have to do a bit of calibration. It's been a while since I've done that; probably need to re-do the convergence as well.

At the end of the day, though, while it has great colors, it can't compete with today's 1080p sets.

18New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:00 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

District 9, 9 and Nine. Why is Hollywood obsessed with the number 9? Does it have anything to do with Michalek?

19New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another question -- is there a way to "fix" the output format? Right now it seems that most of the games are 720p (my set only goes up to 1080i, so not 1080p option). But when I go back to the main menu it switches back to 1080i. Not a biggie, but just mildly annoying since it takes a couple of seconds for the set to switch over. I don't think the main menu will look any different in 720p versus 1080i, and I don't think movies will look any worse either.

20New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:27 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm finding out that the kids are less interested in HD graphics than they are in the online play.

I don't have a wireless router so they bring the machine and a 13-inch TV to the modem instead of playing offline on our 50-inch HDTV.

21New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm finding out that the kids are less interested in HD graphics than they are in the online play.

I don't have a wireless router so they bring the machine and a 13-inch TV to the modem instead of playing offline on our 50-inch HDTV.

What's stopping you from getting a wireless router? They are quite cheap. You can get a Wireless-G for $20 and N for $30 (refurb, TigerDirect.ca).

22New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm finding out that the kids are less interested in HD graphics than they are in the online play.

What's stopping you from getting a wireless router? They are quite cheap. You can get a Wireless-G for $20 and N for $30 (refurb, TigerDirect.ca).

Nothing. I just didn't get one right away. My son is out getting one today at Radio Shack for 30 bucks.

23New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Most PS3 games are only 720P anyways. 360 games are usually 1080P. Weird since the PS3 is the HD rom. Also noticed when I had the PS3 that some games were 30FPS vs. 60FPS. For gaming 360 is much better. I have both and if a game is multi-platform I buy for XBOX.

24New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I used to have the PVR connected via HDMI and the DVD player over component (I hacked it so it would up-convert over component and, besides, the HDMI connector on it had broken away). One interesting advantage of connecting the PVR using HDMI was that I could change the PVR volume without affecting the sound -- the PVR volume does not change the digital audio signal. Then, by setting the CC to be on when muted, I programmed a CC-toggle button on the Harmony by just sending the Mute code to the PVR.

Now I can't do that any more Sad

So the question to PS3 owners is, does the PS3 up-convert standard DVDs over component?

P.S. Yes, my TV only has a single HDMI input.

25New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:35 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:OK, first thing first, I am not suggesting this is *only* for new owners. In fact, almost quite the opposite. I *want* and *welcome* those who have owned a PS3 for a while. We (the newbies) need your experience.

OK, with that out of the way, I doubt I am the only one that Santa graced with a shiny new (well, actually "matte finish") PS3 under the Christmas tree. I'm sure I'm going to have questions -- lots of them -- in the next little while. If I find out anything "cool" I'll post it here as well.

Quick summary of what I have:
PS3 Slim 120 GB
57" Hitachi CRT-RPTV (only 1 HDMI input -- now allocated to the PS3)
Harmony 880

Games: NHL10, Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank FTOD.

Questions/hints can be about h/w and s/w.

First things first. You need to complete your life and purchase Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Buy them, play them, then you can die in peace.

Almost got the one that was bundled with an extra controller. But my kids are on the young side, and I'm not really a gamer myself.

Uncharted is not a game, it's a 15 hour Indiana Jones.

26New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:37 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I'm playing hawx now; it's pretty good (if you like flight-sim type games)

27New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:22 am

marakh wrote:
wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:OK, first thing first, I am not suggesting this is *only* for new owners. In fact, almost quite the opposite. I *want* and *welcome* those who have owned a PS3 for a while. We (the newbies) need your experience.

OK, with that out of the way, I doubt I am the only one that Santa graced with a shiny new (well, actually "matte finish") PS3 under the Christmas tree. I'm sure I'm going to have questions -- lots of them -- in the next little while. If I find out anything "cool" I'll post it here as well.

Quick summary of what I have:
PS3 Slim 120 GB
57" Hitachi CRT-RPTV (only 1 HDMI input -- now allocated to the PS3)
Harmony 880

Games: NHL10, Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank FTOD.

Questions/hints can be about h/w and s/w.

First things first. You need to complete your life and purchase Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Buy them, play them, then you can die in peace.

Almost got the one that was bundled with an extra controller. But my kids are on the young side, and I'm not really a gamer myself.

Uncharted is not a game, it's a 15 hour Indiana Jones.

It's awesomeness cannot be put into words. It's an experience.

28New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I actually put this thread up to ask/answer questions from newbie owners, like myself. I've asked a couple, so far, which I'll summarize here:

1. Opinions/advice on blu ray remote versus Harmony PS3 adapter. The adapter can be had for $55, versus $20 for the remote. Currently I'm using the game controller, which is a bit crude for movie playback, but I'm learning some shortcuts.

2. Can you configure the PS3 to always output the same format, for example, 720p or 1080i, fixed. Currently the main menu is 1080i, all the games (so far) are 720p, and it keeps switching back and forth, which is annoying.

29New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:00 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

As for Uncharted, like I said, there is a controller bundle out there that gets you Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Is that worth it ($5 more than the price of a separate controller)? Also, just how much shooting goes on in that game? My wife is very anti-violence, but our oldest is 13 now, and everyone (even the youngest) have seen all the Indy movies and LotR. She definitely wouldn't go for it if there's blood, though. Star Wars with all the droids getting slaughtered has been played in this house.

30New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:07 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I can't answer your questions specifically. I use the PS3 Blu-Ray remote, never heard of a Harmony.

If you can set the output to a fixed aspect ratio, you would be able to do so in the video system settings. If you can't find anything in either of those menus, then I have no idea.

31New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:21 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

It's Settings, Display Settings, Video output, Custom and 1080i.

32New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The "Harmony PS3 Adapter" is an IR "receiver" which outputs bluetooth codes. It's very specific to the PS3. If you own a Harmony remote, you add a PS3 device in your settings, then the Harmony remote will send IR codes to the adapter which then relays them as bluetooth codes to the PS3. The advantage is it lets you continue using a single remote (and unlike those adapters that plugged into the PS3's USB port, it can be used to turn the PS3 on -- the USB ports are not powered up when the PS3 is off, so those adapters could not turn it on). The disadvantage is you still have to point the remote (at the adapter).

33New PS3 Owners Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:It's Settings, Display Settings, Video output, Custom and 1080i.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum