GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New PS3 Owners Thread

+15
sens4win
Tuk Tuk
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
smash88
shabbs
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
beedub
caissie_1
SensHulk
wprager
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

1New PS3 Owners Thread Empty New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, first thing first, I am not suggesting this is *only* for new owners. In fact, almost quite the opposite. I *want* and *welcome* those who have owned a PS3 for a while. We (the newbies) need your experience.

OK, with that out of the way, I doubt I am the only one that Santa graced with a shiny new (well, actually "matte finish") PS3 under the Christmas tree. I'm sure I'm going to have questions -- lots of them -- in the next little while. If I find out anything "cool" I'll post it here as well.

Quick summary of what I have:
PS3 Slim 120 GB
57" Hitachi CRT-RPTV (only 1 HDMI input -- now allocated to the PS3)
Harmony 880

Games: NHL10, Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank FTOD.

Questions/hints can be about h/w and s/w.

2New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

One of the first questions would be about the remote situation.
Currently the best price I see for the blu ray remote is $20. Best
price on the Harmony PS3 adapter is $55, less 15% I can get through
PayPal.

If I can get a 50% off deal on the adapter Boxing Day it's a no-brainer. But if not, is it worth the extra nearly $27 for the convenience of having just one remote? The blu ray remote also doesn't require you to point, since it's not line-of-sight.

For the short-term I'll use one of the controllers (I believe the triangle button brings up the movie playback menu, and then you use the joystick to navigate; probably a little annoying if all you need to do is start/pause/play, but could really be a pain in the neck for something more complex -- like using a calibration disc).

Opinions? Advice?

3New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

One thing I learned from my buddy. When you plug the remote into the USB port it flashes all the buttons, that's when it is charging. When the flashing stops, it's fully charged (I believe when the remote is "on" it will only light up the LED corresponding to its number, so the all-LEDs flashing must happen only when it's off).

To turn off the remote, press the PS button and select "turn off remote" from the menu.

Now, keep in mind that the USB ports are not powered when the PS3 is off, so you cannot charge the controllers when the console is off. Plug them into your PC/laptop/whatever instead. (Unless they changed this on the slim and the USB ports are alwasy powered up?)

4New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:21 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

hehe I got a ps3 as well for xmas. Then we watched blu ray movies all night, and it was the best xmas ever.

5New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:55 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Yeh im getting my PS3 next week... It will go good with my new 42" HDTV and compliment my XBOX 360 well DancingBanana

Cant wait to play MLB The Show.... Best baseball game ever made.

6New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:56 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:hehe I got a ps3 as well for xmas. Then we watched blu ray movies all night, and it was the best xmas ever.

I take it you opened your gifts before Santa had a chance to deliver them, then? What did you watch? My stable of blu rays only has Ultimate Matrix, for now. The latest two Potters arrive some time next week, along with Star Trek. I'll be trolling the websites tomorrow looking for more bargains.

7New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:41 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

caissie_1 wrote:Yeh im getting my PS3 next week... It will go good with my new 42" HDTV and compliment my XBOX 360 well New PS3 Owners Thread 95132

I have the PS3 hooked up to my 42" as well, what a perfect pair. Be sure to plug with HDMI, makes a world of differnece.

Neatest thing about the PS3, as long as you have the controller in hand, you can turn the unit on with you Donkey in you chair, never have to give up.

My only question is how do I get my Sony surround sound to work with the PS3. Works great for DVD's but I have not figured out how to get the surround sound for the PS3 (ie how to hook it up to the receiver of the surround sound)

8New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:28 pm

wprager wrote:OK, first thing first, I am not suggesting this is *only* for new owners. In fact, almost quite the opposite. I *want* and *welcome* those who have owned a PS3 for a while. We (the newbies) need your experience.

OK, with that out of the way, I doubt I am the only one that Santa graced with a shiny new (well, actually "matte finish") PS3 under the Christmas tree. I'm sure I'm going to have questions -- lots of them -- in the next little while. If I find out anything "cool" I'll post it here as well.

PS3 Slim 120 GB
Harmony 880

First things first. You need to complete your life and purchase Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Buy them, play them, then you can die in peace.

9New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:23 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

I got my PS3 2 x-mas ago ... To date, it is still the best present I've ever gotten.

My game selection is growing over 15 and the blu-ray is catching up.

I can't watch normal DVD's anymore ever since we got the Blu-ray. Got Iron Man today, unreal.

Enjoy fellow PS3'ers!!

10New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:24 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

caissie_1 wrote:Yeh im getting my PS3 next week... It will go good with my new 42" HDTV and compliment my XBOX 360 well New PS3 Owners Thread 95132

I can't say enough good things about MLB the show '08 (with Howard on the cover).

I've played that game so much I'm surprised it's still working.

Didn't have enough sheckles to pay for '09, so I'm going to wait until March to pick up '10.

The Road to the Show mode is unbelievable ... especially when using a pitcher.

11New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:OK, first thing first, I am not suggesting this is *only* for new owners. In fact, almost quite the opposite. I *want* and *welcome* those who have owned a PS3 for a while. We (the newbies) need your experience.

PS3 Slim 120 GB
Harmony 880

First things first. You need to complete your life and purchase Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Buy them, play them, then you can die in peace.

Almost got the one that was bundled with an extra controller. But my kids are on the young side, and I'm not really a gamer myself.

12New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:50 am

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:

I can't say enough good things about MLB the show '08 (with Howard on the cover).

I've played that game so much I'm surprised it's still working.

Didn't have enough sheckles to pay for '09, so I'm going to wait until March to pick up '10.

The Road to the Show mode is unbelievable ... especially when using a pitcher.

Never tried that mode yet... Cant wait.

13New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:38 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Michallica wrote:hehe I got a ps3 as well for xmas. Then we watched blu ray movies all night, and it was the best xmas ever.

I take it you opened your gifts before Santa had a chance to deliver them, then? What did you watch? My stable of blu rays only has Ultimate Matrix, for now. The latest two Potters arrive some time next week, along with Star Trek. I'll be trolling the websites tomorrow looking for more bargains.

Yeah kinda. Opened it up xmas eve, and we ended up watching terminator salvation, inglorious basterds, and distric 9 on blu-ray. With a 55" inch LCD tv, 120 Hz, it was an unbelievable experience! I got it more for the blu-ray and mkv capabilities than the games, but that's a bonus too. New PS3 Owners Thread 805406

14New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I must say that The Matrix was a little bit of a let down. I honestly don't see much difference in resolution between blu ray and my old up-converting player (mind you, it was a Faroudja model so it was a good player). I did notice that there was a bit more color.

I think I have to do a bit of calibration. It's been a while since I've done that; probably need to re-do the convergence as well.

At the end of the day, though, while it has great colors, it can't compete with today's 1080p sets.

15New PS3 Owners Thread Empty Re: New PS3 Owners Thread Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

District 9, 9 and Nine. Why is Hollywood obsessed with the number 9? Does it have anything to do with Michalek?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 12]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum