GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Regin asked to find "more permanent" housing

+9
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
Flo The Action
Phoenix30
asq2
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
wprager
shabbs
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Phoenix30 wrote:
N4L wrote:Campbell is pretty close to the perfect D man for this Ottawa team, like the contract or not. If you get a 1st and Beech (something along those lines) with him, you do it. Sets you up for the now and the future.

Adding a potential number 1 center in Beech would be huge for the young group of players The Sens are building up right now.

You have the potential of Beech, Karlsson, Cowen, Wierchoich, and Lehner... add in a winger there like Silvferberg, Petersson, or Capusso, that's an extremely tallented group of prospects. Ottawa needs that young, stud forward. Chicago has one and a player they have to get rid of that Ottawa actually needs.

Campbell is going to get you 50-60 points, it's close to a garentee. Two years ago when he signed, if Ottawa got him for 6 years at about 6.8 mil, I would have said for sure... with the increase in the cap and the likelyhood of it going up again, it works out to be about the same.

I get all the nagative about taking on Campbell but he really is a guy Ottawa could use and who would be beyond productive. Look at the PP right now, Campbell would turn that right around.

So does Murray give up for Campbell?

Garbage and he would have to get more back.

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
N4L wrote:Campbell is pretty close to the perfect D man for this Ottawa team, like the contract or not. If you get a 1st and Beech (something along those lines) with him, you do it. Sets you up for the now and the future.

Adding a potential number 1 center in Beech would be huge for the young group of players The Sens are building up right now.

You have the potential of Beech, Karlsson, Cowen, Wierchoich, and Lehner... add in a winger there like Silvferberg, Petersson, or Capusso, that's an extremely tallented group of prospects. Ottawa needs that young, stud forward. Chicago has one and a player they have to get rid of that Ottawa actually needs.

Campbell is going to get you 50-60 points, it's close to a garentee. Two years ago when he signed, if Ottawa got him for 6 years at about 6.8 mil, I would have said for sure... with the increase in the cap and the likelyhood of it going up again, it works out to be about the same.

I get all the nagative about taking on Campbell but he really is a guy Ottawa could use and who would be beyond productive. Look at the PP right now, Campbell would turn that right around.

So does Murray give up for Campbell?

Garbage and he would have to get more back.

So insightful. Cant see it happening with Campbell. Carrying the extra 2 to 3 million for next several years will hamper the Sens in resigning RFA's and other UFA's. Now if Chicago buys out Campbell in the off season I can see Murray going after him but I doubt that a buy out will occur for a couple of years.

Who the hell do The Sens have to sign next year or in the near future? This team's roster is set in the top 6.

Alfi, Regin, Fisher, Spezza, and Michalek are all going to be here for a while yet, Foligno will more then likely be top 6 in the next couple years...

Defense is set for the most part, you ahve Cowen and Karlsson coming in on ELC for 3 years, Carkner is signed for 2 at almost the bare minimum.

I will be shocked if The Sens sign any UFA that plays in the top 6 up front or a 20 min D man. Ottawa's roster is set.

Campbell is a moveable asset, people are acting like this guy wouldnt make Ottawa better. Not only would he make Ottawa better, he could be the difference between winning a round or two in the playoffs and being on the bubble this year.

Campbell is a good player, is he worth 7.1 mil to Chicago? Nope, 100% he isnt. Is he worth that to Ottawa, it's close.

Anyways, Im not saying make the deal for Campbell because The Sens and Murray need him, Im saying do it if it makes sense.

You get a 1st, Beech and Campbell coming back, you find a way to get it done. It could be a 2nd round pick as well, but I would insist on Beech considering how thin things up front are for The Sens in terms of prospects. Beech would give Ottawa a potential stud.

N4L wrote:
asq2 wrote:He'd choke out the talent we'd have, though. That contract is huge, and long.

And he's only going to get worse. His defence is already disgraceful and he'll slow down.

Murray backed out when Chicago offered that contract. He's not going to take him now and give up an asset for him after he's regressed pretty substantially.

Slow down? You keep saying this.. based on what? He has no injuries and is good for basically the whole year, every year. He is consistant with his production, so on and on. He isnt going to be slowing down before he is 35, 36, he doesnt have bad knees, a bad back or w/e, he will be effective for a while.

As for his defense, ya, it's not the greatest but it's not as bad as you make it out to be either. Give him a defensivly responsible partner and he would be fine.

Also, I wouldnt give up an asset for him, Im not pretending I would, but if you could give up Campoli, Cheechoo or w/e other spare part The Sens have with a 1st or a top tier prospect comng back, for sure I would.

Obviously we would be doing Chicago a favour and the dea would have to be as such.

Even at his salary, do you really think Chicago just hands him over without some sort of asset coming their way? If you are adding a pick and Beach, then most definitely we are sending asset(s) Chicago's way. The question is what?

I realize that we shed a huge contract in Heatley, and I am not opposed to adding another, particularly on defense (I'd rather spread the huge contracts around position wise, instead of 2-3 forwards), but I'd much rather wait and spend that to keep one of our future studs on D. A benefit to that is that we'd be clear of Kovalev's contract at that point.

The only way I could see Murray even considering bringing in Campbell is if we are showing signs of being a serious contender come February or Chicago practically gifts like a package (like you mentioned). I don't see either scenario happening though. We are, at best, the 4th best team in the conference imo. Even with Campbell, I'd put Philly, Washington and Pittsburgh clearly ahead of the Sens.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

2.7 for 3 for regin would be nice.

i don't think shannon is coming back next year and dono is also on his last year. so it will probably mean zack and/or bass make the team out of camp(or a surprise) and we'll see what we'll see out of winch... what is foligno expected to make next year? 1.4 mill? more? it's hard for me to tell....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Shannon and Donovan very likely gone next year (although I don't see why we can't keep Shean around another year -- he'd cost less than Smith/Bass/Winch). I'd actually prefer to move Shannon and Kelly to promote a couple of youngsters, and keep Donovan as the 13th forward. With rookies in the lineup you need someone like him.

I don't like the idea of Campbell here. Somewhere during that contract we would have to be re-signing Spezza, Fisher, Michalek, Phillips, Volchenkov, Foligno, Regin, Karlsson, Cowen and whoever of the three mentioned above (Winch/Bass/Smith) comes up next year. Possibly even Wiercioch if he's here in the next 2 years. I'm only mentioning players we would want to keep. Oh, uou can also probably throw in Leclaire/Elliott and possibly Lehner. That contract goes out all the way to 2016!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

glad to see Regin getting his roots here in Ottawa, as for talking about Campbell coming to Ottawa, really not a fan of that at all, just me.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I saw the Campbell rumour on Senschirp but I don't know what his source is. I assumed it may have been hockeybuzz but I didn't look.

I would have posted something but it's difficult for the numbers to work, so I didn't bother.

Personally, I would have no reservations about dealing the likes of Kelly, Neil and Choochoo and then some for Campbell and a pick and/or prospect.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rather Murray look for Dan Boyle instead, but maybe that is just me, but not really for trading Neil or Cheechoo at this point, Neil is fulfilling his role just fine, he and Carkner compliment each other well and people will not steamroll our goalies like they used to. As for Cheechoo, he will be more valuable come playoff time.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote:rather Murray look for Dan Boyle instead, but maybe that is just me, but not really for trading Neil or Cheechoo at this point, Neil is fulfilling his role just fine, he and Carkner compliment each other well and people will not steamroll our goalies like they used to. As for Cheechoo, he will be more valuable come playoff time.

If Dan Boyle were available or if Murray wanted him, I'm sure his name would have come up in the Heatley discussions.

There may be enough buyers remorse in Chicago to motivate them to move Soupy for cheap. Again, I don't know where these rumours are coming from so it may all be total Dung.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:rather Murray look for Dan Boyle instead, but maybe that is just me, but not really for trading Neil or Cheechoo at this point, Neil is fulfilling his role just fine, he and Carkner compliment each other well and people will not steamroll our goalies like they used to. As for Cheechoo, he will be more valuable come playoff time.

If Dan Boyle were available or if Murray wanted him, I'm sure his name would have come up in the Heatley discussions.

There may be enough buyers remorse in Chicago to motivate them to move Soupy for cheap. Again, I don't know where these rumours are coming from so it may all be total Dung.

that is true enough, and well, even at cheap, not sold on Campbell. rumours are rumours, so yeah, not much going on there I am sure.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

For sure we would have to unload some contracts like Kelly, Cheechoo (next year he is a UFA), Campoli (RFA), and possibly trade or lose Volchenkov (a 3-4 million dollar d-man).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not kidding, I love this player. He's gonna get bigger and stronger and be quite a creative force for the Sens for the next 10 years.

The kind of player you buy a jersey of, because he's not gonna digress, he's gonna improve.

Regin is here for a long, long time.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Regin is here for a long, long time.

Absolutely. People should be very, very excited. This guy can play 3rd line center - or, in a pinch, he could play top 2 line center - and he's not adverse to playing wing. He's here for as long as we can keep him.

Now, he still needs to get to 200 lbs so he can sustain the NHL hits and not get injured too often, but he's on his way. Well on his way. Very excited.

Thanks Zubov for being fat and lazy, the decision would still have been Regin, but it was soooooooooo much easier. Regin asked to find "more permanent" housing - Page 2 40364

Zubov was never a prospect IMO, ever. Never liked him, always said he was worthless in a trade.

Regin, I didnt know much about him until last year but his first NHL game vs Carolina, I still remember hs frist shift where he was involved, smart with the puck, and was creating chances from the get go. Was impressed right off the bat.

N4L wrote:Who the hell do The Sens have to sign next year or in the near future? This team's roster is set in the top 6.

Alfi, Regin, Fisher, Spezza, and Michalek are all going to be here for a while yet, Foligno will more then likely be top 6 in the next couple years...

Defense is set for the most part, you ahve Cowen and Karlsson coming in on ELC for 3 years, Carkner is signed for 2 at almost the bare minimum.

I will be shocked if The Sens sign any UFA that plays in the top 6 up front or a 20 min D man. Ottawa's roster is set.

Campbell is a moveable asset, people are acting like this guy wouldnt make Ottawa better. Not only would he make Ottawa better, he could be the difference between winning a round or two in the playoffs and being on the bubble this year.

Campbell is a good player, is he worth 7.1 mil to Chicago? Nope, 100% he isnt. Is he worth that to Ottawa, it's close.

Looks like we're back to agreeing with one another... for the most part.

You're right. We don't have to sign our core players for the next couple of years: Fisher, Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, etc are all signed long term. However, in the next 2-4 years respectively we will for sure be losing Kovalev and Alfredsson (retirement) and Cheechoo (free agency unless he magically pots another 50). That's 1/2 of our current top six forwards that we will be losing. Figure Regin and Foligno develop into top six forwards. That's obviously great, but then what? Neither of them will ever have the impact that Alfredsson had on this team both offensively and as a person.

I'm okay with taking on Campbell's contract as long as a good forward prospect/1st rd pick is included and some extra salary goes back from the Sens. I'd prefer to see $7+ million being spent on one/two elite forwards that can make up for Alfredsson's offensive production just because of our future depth at D with Cowen, Lee, Wiercioch, and Karlsson. I'd be okay with the Campbell trade too because you're right, we don't NEED to sign a UFA forward but I think I'd prefer to spend my money on replacing the offensive talent of Kovalev and Alfredsson (and Cheechoo). Campbell would also be the perfect fit on this team but his contract length is a little hard to digest.

I would do this in a heartbeat though

To Chicago: Cheechoo, Picard

To Ottawa: Campbell, Aliu, 1st Rd pick

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum