GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where to find that rugged D-man and for what?

+10
shabbs
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
Sens19
asq2
Hockeyhero22000
M_Christopher
wprager
Vandelay
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

With Murray's mention of wanting a tough, big D-man and what some would say is an over abundance of 3rd and 4th liners, I took a look at two teams that I believe will have to move some D at some point soon. The issues of course include whether or not one of the young guns can step into someone like Kelly's place and bring what he brings and salary cap issues. The former has yet to be seen in my opinion. The latter, I think requires someone on a one year contract.

Mike Komisarek» $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 UFA
Tomas Kaberle » $4,250,000 $4,250,000 UFA
Francois Beauchemin » $3,800,000 $3,800,000 $3,800,000 UFA
Jeff Finger » $3,500,000 $3,500,000 $3,500,000 UFA
Luke Schenn » EL + $2,975,000 + $2,975,000 RFA
Mike Van Ryn » $2,900,000 UFA
Garnet Exelby » $1,391,666 UFA
Ian White » $850,000 RFA

Kevin Bieksa » $3,750,000 $3,750,000 UFA
Sami Salo » $3,500,000 $3,500,000 UFA
Willie Mitchell » $3,500,000 UFA
Alexander Edler » $3,250,000 $3,250,000 $3,250,000 $3,250,000 UFA
Christian Ehrhoff » $3,100,000 $3,100,000 UFA
Mathieu Schneider » + $2,750,000 UFA
Shane O'Brien » $1,600,000 RFA
Brad Lukowich » $1,566,666 UFA

Do any of these fit the bill? Am I completely out to lunch? In my opinion, Van Ryn would be the best option, with one year left on his contract. What you boys think?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Jared Cowen fits the bill rather nicely. I think Murray is going to sit back and wait a little while.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

Agreed but with the abundance of 3rd/4th liners and 5/6 D-men, I think something has to give. I think we can agree that Cowen needs at least another year with the injury and all. So, a 1 year stop cap in exchange for one of Picard, Lee, Campoli and/or Kelly/Donovon/Rhutu would seem in order. No?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Vandelay wrote:Agreed but with the abundance of 3rd/4th liners and 5/6 D-men, I think something has to give. I think we can agree that Cowen needs at least another year with the injury and all. So, a 1 year stop cap in exchange for one of Picard, Lee, Campoli and/or Kelly/Donovon/Rhutu would seem in order. No?

Well, after last night, I am no-longer sure he needs a full year. Granted, it was a pre-season game, but he looked much better than I expected him to look. Frankly, I was very surprised (shocked?) when the roster was announced.

I have no idea how it all works with players in junior, but I would not be at all surprised if Cowen was here before the season ended.

And I can say the same thing about Lehner. They've got to sign him to a contract, because right now, if Leclaire or Elliott is out, he should be our backup.

I believe he has up until his 12th game to be sent back. Really Cowen will not be here this year. It makes not sense to rush him. Give him a year in Junior to heal, and help lead Spokane to a Mem Cup, and also be a major part of the WJHC Team we send.

Plain and simple it makes sense to build his confidence then bring him here next year with all that experience. Plus we don't lose a year of his rookie status with him sitting on the bench 1/2 the time.

wprager wrote:
Vandelay wrote:Agreed but with the abundance of 3rd/4th liners and 5/6 D-men, I think something has to give. I think we can agree that Cowen needs at least another year with the injury and all. So, a 1 year stop cap in exchange for one of Picard, Lee, Campoli and/or Kelly/Donovon/Rhutu would seem in order. No?

Well, after last night, I am no-longer sure he needs a full year. Granted, it was a pre-season game, but he looked much better than I expected him to look. Frankly, I was very surprised (shocked?) when the roster was announced.

I have no idea how it all works with players in junior, but I would not be at all surprised if Cowen was here before the season ended.

And I can say the same thing about Lehner. They've got to sign him to a contract, because right now, if Leclaire or Elliott is out, he should be our backup.

He's only eligible to go back to junior and not the AHL. In that case, he's only eligible for an emergency callup.

Dawg's Wife wrote:I believe he has up until his 12th game to be sent back. Really Cowen will not be here this year. It makes not sense to rush him. Give him a year in Junior to heal, and help lead Spokane to a Mem Cup, and also be a major part of the WJHC Team we send.

Plain and simple it makes sense to build his confidence then bring him here next year with all that experience. Plus we don't lose a year of his rookie status with him sitting on the bench 1/2 the time.

It's the 10th game. I agree with your take though, I'd rather see him tear the WHL a new one and make the jump straight to the Sens next season.

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

It'd be CAP suicide to bring him up this year.

Last thing Ottawa needs is EK and Jared RFA's in the same year.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

M_Christopher wrote:It'd be CAP suicide to bring him up this year.

Thats another good point look at the hawks they have to try and sine Kane and toews this year and they are already up against the capand cowen could definitely benefit from regaining i=his form in the WHL after that injury

M_Christopher wrote:It'd be CAP suicide to bring him up this year.

That and Cowen needs to go back and rehab his overall game a bit. There is no point in pushing that guy into the NHL right now.

He's here next year though, 100%.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You guys are all correct, of course. But consider this situation:

The Sens are playing great and headed back to the off-season. They have no Jason Smith this year and they know they'll need that big D presence to get past clubs like Philly, Boston, Anaheim, Chicago. And Cowen is tearing it up in the OHL (after winning the gold in January).

Do you bring him up? The more prudent move, of course, would be to bring in someone via a trade at the deadline. But then you will likely lose some roster players. It would depend on whom you had to give up, of course, but with Cowen you would not have to lose anyone.

When the 10 or 12 games were brought up, were you talking about Cowen playing up to 10 games in the NHL before he was ineligible to return to junior? I was talking about bringing him up here toward the end of the season. Could we bring him up with 10 games to go in the schedule? He's already under contact, right? Or would it have to be an emergency call up?

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:You guys are all correct, of course. But consider this situation:

The Sens are playing great and headed back to the off-season. They have no Jason Smith this year and they know they'll need that big D presence to get past clubs like Philly, Boston, Anaheim, Chicago. And Cowen is tearing it up in the OHL (after winning the gold in January).

Do you bring him up? The more prudent move, of course, would be to bring in someone via a trade at the deadline. But then you will likely lose some roster players. It would depend on whom you had to give up, of course, but with Cowen you would not have to lose anyone.

When the 10 or 12 games were brought up, were you talking about Cowen playing up to 10 games in the NHL before he was ineligible to return to junior? I was talking about bringing him up here toward the end of the season. Could we bring him up with 10 games to go in the schedule? He's already under contact, right? Or would it have to be an emergency call up?

Very interesting prospect prags i guess it all depends on how Murray and Cory see this team going. Although this may get N4L on my case Brian Lee last night looked like he might be stepping up and becoming more aggressive not going to be a volchenkov but aggressive enough we dont waste players on a deadline and play the waiting game on Cowen

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
wprager wrote:You guys are all correct, of course. But consider this situation:

Very interesting prospect prags i guess it all depends on how Murray and Cory see this team going. Although this may get N4L on my case Brian Lee last night looked like he might be stepping up and becoming more aggressive not going to be a volchenkov but aggressive enough we dont waste players on a deadline and play the waiting game on Cowen

Go back to the game day thread and look what I said about Lee.

EDIT: Put it this way, I think we have something that has the potential to be dominate in a Lee/Cowen paring.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Yea i read that it is just surprising to hear you saying good things about Lee. I know i have not been a big supporter but he was definitely using the body last night which was nice to see

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, but what you said was that Lee was playing great with Cowen. Can he play "big" without him?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum