GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

O'Sullivan Asked to Stay Away from Camp

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1O'Sullivan Asked to Stay Away from Camp Empty O'Sullivan Asked to Stay Away from Camp Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:10 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Looks like RFA O'Sullivan's situation isn't clearing up anytime too soon:

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/2008/09/more-from-lombardi.html

I wonder how long this goes on before LA starts to consider alteratives.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wow! how long is too long?

Geez, I certainly didn't forsee this mess when it came to O'Sullivan.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cronenbergfan wrote:wow! how long is too long?

Geez, I certainly didn't forsee this mess when it came to O'Sullivan.

I'd love to know how far apart they are in terms of money and term. At least that way I could have a better sense of who's asking for too much or expecting too little. This question of 'how much do you pay for potential?' keeps coming up.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I HATE that question, because it's relative to the player I believe. But at the same time, with the overly-inflated salaries being handed out left, right and center, where does one draw a line?

Cronenbergfan wrote:I HATE that question, because it's relative to the player I believe. But at the same time, with the overly-inflated salaries being handed out left, right and center, where does one draw a line?

My husband played profesional baseball for several years befor settling down. It's funny to hear him talk. He honestly flips sides every time one of these discussions comes up.

He sees both sides. The players need to push for as much money as they can get, as in his words. They are the entertainment. On the flip side, management holding tight and not overpaying for potential.

Really the Meszaros situation was the exact same and we saw B.M. draw his line in the sand and stand pat. I can respect that. Like the decision or not, you have to like the fact that the GM has his price and will not cave. If he does it to Meszaros you know every other player will hold him ransom at one point or another.

My husbands current stance is that players are fully within their right to ask for advanced payment for potential. Meszaros is being paid for potential. What happens if he puts up 35 goals and 40 assists each year. Really he's being under paid and that's his risk.

In an ideal world I'd like a situation where the player and team accept responsibility for their play. A system where the team can over pay a player and should he not meet an agreed upon set of numbers (ie mins played, PIMS, Pts, hits, blocked shots..etc) then the next year the contract is reduced by a pre determined amount.

This will never happen, or at least not in the near future, but I can assure you should our son ever make the NHL, a bomb will hit the league because Dawg will make sure that precedent is set.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's an excellent suggestion. This way, you actually have to perform up to the standard you are being compensated for; or else!

It's brilliant!! And My father grilled this into my head when I used to offer my lawn-mowing services as a young pre-teen in my Ottawa neighborhood. He always said: "Someone is paying YOU to do a good job, so take pride in what you do and do it well."

Thing is, how many times have we seen someone ink a FAT contract only to dipsy-dangle for the season... *cough* VANEK *cough* Briere *cough* REDDEN! and the list goes on.

Schubert, Nikulin, SJ1 for O'Sullivan
Sign him for w/e he wants (4+) and ship him to FLA at the deadline for Bouw. :D

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:Schubert, Nikulin, SJ1 for O'Sullivan
Sign him for w/e he wants (4+) and ship him to FLA at the deadline for Bouw. :D

ummmm... Interesting proposition. Except I think with a lot of other teams vying for Bow's services at the deadline, O'Sullivan alone may not get it done. but that's still a very interesting proposition.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Am I the only one that's excited that we have TWO 1st round picks in a great draft pool?

10O'Sullivan Asked to Stay Away from Camp Empty Re: O'Sullivan Asked to Stay Away from Camp Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:55 pm

No you're not the only one, but I think a lot of us are seeing the window of opportunity is wide-open for this team right now.
Imo its wider than in 8 of the past 10 seasons (9 if you think of it from a pre-pre-season perspective)
I love that Murray is building for the future, without sacrificing the present; and building the present, without sacrificing the future; but I think we are one aggressive move away from being right beside Detroit at the top of the mountain.
That additional 1st cannot be used wrong...we can keep it and draft a Corey Perry at the end of the 1st round (assuming this is a draft as deep as the '03 draft, which was DEEEEP) and wait for him to develop or we can trade it with other assets and make a push for right now.
As long as its used on a smart trade or smart pick, we can't go wrong...

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:No you're not the only one, but I think a lot of us are seeing the window of opportunity is wide-open for this team right now.
Imo its wider than in 8 of the past 10 seasons (9 if you think of it from a pre-pre-season perspective)
I love that Murray is building for the future, without sacrificing the present; and building the present, without sacrificing the future; but I think we are one aggressive move away from being right beside Detroit at the top of the mountain.
That additional 1st cannot be used wrong...we can keep it and draft a Corey Perry at the end of the 1st round (assuming this is a draft as deep as the '03 draft, which was DEEEEP) and wait for him to develop or we can trade it with other assets and make a push for right now.
As long as its used on a smart trade or smart pick, we can't go wrong...

I couldn't have said it better dude. And the thing is, I have the utmost confidence with Murray at helm that our 2 1st picks will NOT be wasted, nor used frivolously.

I don't want to get too overly excited, but good, even GREAT things lie ahead for the Sens IMHO.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Am I the only one that's excited that we have TWO 1st round picks in a great draft pool?

Dont worry your not alone. I love the idea of drafting twice in a deep draft and I suspect that depending on how Ottawa does by the deadline Murray might be able to acquire another 1st or 2nd with our UFA's or quality players. If that were to happen Murray has real buying power come draft day.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

that would be a dream scenario IMHO...

Sounds like a nightmare - If the Sens are selling at the deadline, that would be a very very bad thing.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

no no, I meant if they go into the draft with their 2 or possibly 3 1st rounders...That would be sweet! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum