GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let Training Camp Begin!!

+13
Flo The Action
PTFlea
asq2
jamvan
Hayden
wprager
SensFan71
shabbs
beedub
Vandelay
spader
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:48 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/columnists/don_brennan/2009/09/13/10881771.html

This isn't the full article that I am posting, just the part about training camp, we've heard enough from the punk, so let's get back to our team.

“We’re looking to the future and that’s behind us.”

No. 27 on 1927

W Alex Kovalev expressed some excitement in starting his 18th NHL training camp.

“There’s nothing better than winning the Stanley Cup,” said the former Hab, who inherits the Senators’ No. 27 jersey previously worn by the likes of Randy Robitaille, Peter Schaefer, Todd Simpson, Dennis Bonvie, Ricard Persson and Janne Laukkanen. “When’s the last time this team won the Stanley Cup? ’27? I remember how exciting it was winning the Stanley Cup in New York after 54 years. Imagine how exciting it would be after ... I can’t even count. I’m really looking forward and want to be successful with this team.”

Kovalev didn’t waste time in speaking his mind on the ice conditions at Scotiabank Place. Asked how he felt after his first practice with his new team, he said: “Pretty good, but the ice wasn’t as good as we expected. That’s what usually happens the first few practices, so I’m sure every day it’s going to get better. The way I look at it, we did good on bad ice and we’re going to do really good on good ice.
“Overall it’s going to be important the next few days to skate and get in game shape. Games are coming up really quick. I feel pretty good.”
When asked about his goals and proving himself in the upcoming season, Kovalev quipped: “I’ve been pro-rating myself for 17 years. I have nothing else to prove. I’m just going to come out and do my best and help the team.”

Lining up
The most popular word at SBP yesterday was “depth,” as it appears the Senators now have some up front. The additions of Milan Michalek and Jonathan Cheechoo gives them eight forwards (the two former Sharks, plus Alfredsson, Kovalev, Jason Spezza, Mike Fisher, Nick Foligno and Ryan Shannon) who are used to top-two line ice time.

“We did that a little bit (Saturday night),” Clouston smiled when asked about fiddling with line combinations. “Until they get here and put them in practices ... camp is time for a little bit of experimentation. You have a couple of young guys that may not be with us in a few days, so the lines aren’t going to be carved in stone right now.

“Over the next four or five days and going in to next week, we’ll definitely try to solidify some lines and create some chemistry.”
Foligno, who is listed on the depth chart at centre, was skating with Spezza and Alfredsson. It’s a spot he’d like to reserve.
“I’m not going to read too much into that, but I want to be in that rank,” he said. “We’ll see how it plays out in training camp, but I want to be considered in that mix. It was fun to skate with those guys.”

Still a hit

If the first day of camp was any indication, D Anton Volchenkov has been itching for some body contact. He caught Kovalev with a check that put his fellow Russian on the ice during the afternoon drills.

“He knocked me over once, too,” said Phillips. “I wasn’t expecting it.”

Sounds like A-train is raring to go!! Let Training Camp Begin!! 78253 He might want to watch his hits on those guys though especially with the ice not being great at the moment.

Foligno will get a chance to play with the big boys, now, is it going to remain that way? It's possible. Only problem there is that one of our acquisitions would be on the 3rd line since none of them are centers. I did however hear that they might try Cheechoo at 2nd line center. We shall see what comes of it.

The guys sound so excited for the season and they seem to have a renewed confidence after "the one that shall not be named" got dealt.

Boyle is very high on Michalek and says that he only has room to get better.

Boyle says folks in these parts may not fully realize what the Senators are getting in Michalek, who will make an average of $4.33 million (all terms US) over the next five seasons.

“Milan is 24 years old, and I think the world of this kid,” said Boyle, who’s beginning his second season with the Sharks. “I think he’s going to be a really good hockey player. He’s got his best days ahead of him. I don’t know if there are too many faster guys in the league than Milan. He’s going to surprise a lot of people. He’s going to impress a lot of people.”

The sixth overall pick in the 2003 draft has 91 goals and 214 points in his first 317 NHL games. He also has what it takes to become an elite goal scorer, Boyle figures.

“I think so,” said one of the NHL’s top defenceman. “He’s got a great shot. It’s just a matter of creating a line around him, or with him, that will allow him to do his thing. I think he’s right there. He’s knocking at the door. He’s so fast and he’s so skilled ... again, he’s only 24 years old, so he’s got some pretty good years ahead of him.”

On Cheechoo

Boyle wouldn’t be surprised if Cheechoo, a $3-million player each of the next two seasons, rediscovers his scoring touch with the Senators.
After potting 56 goals as Joe Thornton’s winger in 2005-06, Cheechoo’s career was derailed by sports hernias. He has just 72 goals in 211 games over three seasons since.

“He’s done it,” said Boyle. “He’s been battling some injuries the last couple of years and that’s kind of slowed him down a little bit, but I think if you get him with some guys that are going to set him up, he’s got a great shot, he can put the puck in the net. I’ve been skating with him the last couple of weeks and he looks like he’s put himself in pretty good shape this year, so it’s just a matter of getting through the injury bug for him.”

I think we have good reason to be excited for this upcoming season, I'm not talking about fighting for the Cup, but I do believe that we can get further into the playoffs with the depth we have. Clouston sounds more excited than anyone about this depth, and he's a fantastic coach that I believe will make the best out of this.

Excited yet? I am!!!!!!!! Let Training Camp Begin!! 50327

2Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm excited just to go to the first pre-season game of the year. It's Wednesday!! I want an up close look at Karlsson, Svendson, Condra, Z. Smith and Lehner. Here's hoping there all in the lineup on Wednesday night. We're bringing the little one but I'm not convinced she'll spend much time in the seat with me. I suspect I'll be holding her hands as she walks around the concourse and I watch the game on the TV screens throughout SBP. Here's hoping she meets some friendly people willing to distract her. She's still not able to walk on her own and I'm not willing to let her crawl around SBP so the night could potentially be over quickly for us. FingersCrossed

- Unknown Author

3Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm also really happy to that Heatley's gone and Mihalek and a second rounder are coming back. Cheechoo is a gamble worth taking because, as Rooney pointed out, he's a relatively painless buyout next season.

- Unknown Author

4Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:11 am

Love the role Kovy is taking here. Even if he doesnt show up every game (and he wont) it's going to be exciting just watching him.

Literally want the season to start tomottow. I have my opening nights tickets already, gonna be getting plastered Oct 3rd when the puck drops in Helsinki all the way till the buzzer goes in Vancouver. Can I get through 2, 2-4's?

5Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:24 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I have faith in you N4L. Make sure you (and the rest of the GMCentral crew) throw me and Vandelay a bone and provide some info. I don't know about Brazil, but it's not easy to catch games here in South Korea. If they're televised, it's usually available via streaming sites, but the time difference makes it impossible sometimes.

6Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:25 am

Absolutly.

7Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

spader wrote:I have faith in you N4L. Make sure you (and the rest of the GMCentral crew) throw me and Vandelay a bone and provide some info. I don't know about Brazil, but it's not easy to catch games here in South Korea. If they're televised, it's usually available via streaming sites, but the time difference makes it impossible sometimes.

Ya, I'm lucky that way. Depending on the time of year, it's only 1 hour or 3 hour time difference which usually works out perfect. I'm pushing my last student out the door and pulling up the team1200 pregrame at the same time! We should pool our resources for streaming sites. I had a friend in toronto streaming me the games via slingbox but my computer crashed and now I can't get the right software....but that was ideal. Any gmhockey members willing to "sling" us some games???

8Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:49 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Let Training Camp Begin!! 301182

Yes please.

9Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:52 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I have to admit, my excitement for the upcoming season ramped up dramatically over the weekend. I didn't realize how much the prospect of Heater in the lineup kind of killed my interest. Now that he's gone, LETS GIT ER DONE

10Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:54 am

Seriously. Cant wait to see Leclaire, Kovalev, Michalek, and man, I think everyone is the city is gonna be pulling for Cheechoo hard. It's not hard to get on that train with a guy that gives his all every night.

I HOPE Karlsson takes number 15! Ill be getting that on my jersey's for sure.

11Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:10 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cheechoo had a big following whenever he came to town with SJ. It'll be interesting to see how big his following gets now that he's a member of the Sens.

I'm also still excited to see the others but I'm taking a wait and see attitude. I wonder if season ticket sales start to spike now that Heatley is gone?

- Unknown Author

12Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:12 am

This is a HUGE opportunity for Cheechoo on and off the ice.

13Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:37 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cheechoo will be skating with the Sens at noon today...

14Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:43 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Sweet! I thought he was only getting in tonight.

15Let Training Camp Begin!! Empty Re: Let Training Camp Begin!! Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:44 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

finally looks like we have a top 6 to be proud of (and secondary scoring), am excited to see what this season has to offer under Clouston and the new regime.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum