GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray insists on...Picard

+10
Phoenix30
Sensational Spezza
Money Farmer
Sens4thecup
Cronie
rooneypoo
wprager
towelie112
beerandsens
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

61Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:46 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
I proposed a similar package earlier in the summer and again earlier this week, so I should be for it, but I really like those lines above. That 4th line is unquestionably the best and most well-rounded in the NHL and shows how extreme our depth is.

I wonder if we could send Nycholat, McAmmond, and SJ's 1st to a team like Atlanta in exchange for their 1st and maybe a mid-level prospect?

It's a sexy idea, I grant, but I can't imagine anyone going for it. Everyone knows that this year's top-10 at the draft are supposed to be the strongest in a while, so I think 1st rounders will only be exchanged in big, big deals.

We'd have to identify what teams could use Nycholat and/or McAmmond to get a sense of what we might get in return. At best, tho', I'd expect mid- to low-level draft picks. McAmmond is useful and cheap, but his concussion problems will scare people. Nycholat had a great season in the AHL last year, but as of right now he's spent most of his life in the minors. I can't imagine that we're going to pick up anything too remarkable for either, or for both of them packaged together.

62Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:47 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Why do you want this 35 year old goalie with like 2 winning seasons in the last 8 years so much? Especially when he's making almost 7 million a year. Khabibulin is at the bottom of the list of goalies I'd want in Ottawa and that list includes Gerber. We should look for someone young if we are going to trade for a goalie, assuming Elliott doesn't pan out.

Agreed totally on this one.

Can you say "Lehtonen," people? :D

63Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:52 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
I proposed a similar package earlier in the summer and again earlier this week, so I should be for it, but I really like those lines above. That 4th line is unquestionably the best and most well-rounded in the NHL and shows how extreme our depth is.

I wonder if we could send Nycholat, McAmmond, and SJ's 1st to a team like Atlanta in exchange for their 1st and maybe a mid-level prospect?

We'd have to include our first as well AND a blue-chip prospect or very good roster player in return to get even close to landing Atlanta's 1st which is almost guaranteed to be a top 5 pick, if not first overall.

64Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:19 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
cash wrote:

It's a sexy idea, I grant, but I can't imagine anyone going for it. Everyone knows that this year's top-10 at the draft are supposed to be the strongest in a while, so I think 1st rounders will only be exchanged in big, big deals.

We'd have to identify what teams could use Nycholat and/or McAmmond to get a sense of what we might get in return. At best, tho', I'd expect mid- to low-level draft picks. McAmmond is useful and cheap, but his concussion problems will scare people. Nycholat had a great season in the AHL last year, but as of right now he's spent most of his life in the minors. I can't imagine that we're going to pick up anything too remarkable for either, or for both of them packaged together.
We'd be banking on the fact that the Thrashers would expect to make the playoffs, this season.
Its seriously, not that much of a stretch, before the season even begins. Every team believes they have a chance.

65Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:25 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
We'd be banking on the fact that the Thrashers would expect to make the playoffs, this season.
Its seriously, not that much of a stretch, before the season even begins. Every team believes they have a chance.

I can't imagine they're that deluded. They were awful when the had Hossa, and they've done nothing to fill that void. Waddell and Co. know how bad that team is, and they know what a 1st pick overall can do for your team, ala Crosby or Malkin. They won't be trading it for anything less than a spectacular package, if at all.

66Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:10 pm

Sensational Spezza

Sensational Spezza
Prospect
Prospect

504Heater wrote:
Sensational Spezza wrote:Picard is an amazing young defenseman, I love the deal we got and I think it was a steal

A guy that can get 30 points as a rookie playing solid defensive hockey?

This guy has all the tools to be dominant

I love the sound of this guy. Apparently he's upped the physical anty in his game huge. What else do you know about him? Good point shot apparently.

Good first pass?

EDIT: Can he make this team in October? And if so, Schubert moves to forward I would assume. So who's being traded. We're a little forward heavy I would think.

I heard he does have a good first pass, all in all he reminds me a lot of Meszaros except with less defensive mistakes

67Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:24 pm

Word is: Picard is on a 1-way this season..? Any confirmation?

68Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:27 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

cash wrote:Word is: Picard is on a 1-way this season..? Any confirmation?

oh dear God I hope not, we already have a massive log jam to sort out...

69Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:31 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:

The Sportsnet.ca players' pages are down at the moment, so I had to go digging around for quite some time to get this info, but here it is:

Picard was in the last year of his 2-way, entry-level deal this last season [2007-08]. In February of this year, he was traded from the Flyers to the Lightning for Prospal. He completed the year, and the last year of his entry-level deal, with the Lightning. At the end of the season, on June 2, he signed a new, 2-year, 1-way deal with the Lightning worth $800,000. That means that he is indeed currently on a 1-way deal.

This is the best source I could find on this:

http://lightning.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=365003

All this to say... WOW. This means that, counting Schubert as a D, and adding in Nycholat [also on a 1-way deal], we currently have 8 D on 1-way deals. I don't know about you, but for me, that significantly changes the picture as to what our D may or may not look like. I have to think we're going to move at least Nycholat now for sure. It's also not inconceiveable that we'll play Picard on D and Schubert on the wing, which would mean for sure that we have to move at least one forward before long as well.

Wow. This is all a bit of a surprise to me.

70Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:08 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
beerandsens wrote:

The Sportsnet.ca players' pages are down at the moment, so I had to go digging around for quite some time to get this info, but here it is:

Picard was in the last year of his 2-way, entry-level deal this last season [2007-08]. In February of this year, he was traded from the Flyers to the Lightning for Prospal. He completed the year, and the last year of his entry-level deal, with the Lightning. At the end of the season, on June 2, he signed a new, 2-year, 1-way deal with the Lightning worth $800,000. That means that he is indeed currently on a 1-way deal.

All this to say... WOW. This means that, counting Schubert as a D, and adding in Nycholat [also on a 1-way deal], we currently have 8 D on 1-way deals. I don't know about you, but for me, that significantly changes the picture as to what our D may or may not look like. I have to think we're going to move at least Nycholat now for sure. It's also not inconceiveable that we'll play Picard on D and Schubert on the wing, which would mean for sure that we have to move at least one forward before long as well.

i think it's safe to say we're set at D.

71Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:11 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
beerandsens wrote:

Hey rooneypoo, if you want to bring up a player's sportsnet page while the thing is down try googling - (player's name) scouting report - and at the top of the return list should be the sportsnet link.

For instance:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Alexandre_Picard/3688

As to this new information, that is quite a surprise indeed. We seem to have a hell of a logjam at D and at F now. I can't help but believe one or more people are on their way out.

72Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:26 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:

Hey rooneypoo, if you want to bring up a player's sportsnet page while the thing is down try googling - (player's name) scouting report - and at the top of the return list should be the sportsnet link.

For instance:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Alexandre_Picard/3688

As to this new information, that is quite a surprise indeed. We seem to have a hell of a logjam at D and at F now. I can't help but believe one or more people are on their way out.

Hey, thanks for that! I use the Sportsnet.ca player pages all the time, and I'm kinda lost without them... Smile

73Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:36 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

No problem, I use them all the time, and when they went down, I tried finding other sites that might have scouting reports on players, sort of like hockeysfuture, but for all players, and when I did the google search, almost every time the first hit that came up was the Sportsnet player page.

74Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

Wow i didn't realize that Picard is older then Mezsaros, i know its not that big of difference but the GP'd sure is.

75Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:37 pm

PKC wrote:No problem, I use them all the time, and when they went down, I tried finding other sites that might have scouting reports on players, sort of like hockeysfuture, but for all players, and when I did the google search, almost every time the first hit that came up was the Sportsnet player page.
Hockey's future sucks for rankings. Drew Dougty is listed in LA under "other notables"

76Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:43 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Bramlet07 wrote:Wow i didn't realize that Picard is older then Mezsaros, i know its not that big of difference but the GP'd sure is.

There are very few players who get drafted after the 1st round who can turn around and play in the NHL right away. Mesz was a 1st round pick (23rd overall, I believe). He was drafted in 2004, played 1 year of junior, and then when straight to the NHL, playing a full season in his first year.

It's important to emphasize that that's not the experience that most young guys go through. Most get drafted, play in the juniors for a year or 2, sign an entry level deal, then play a year or two in the AHL, and then get the call up. It's pretty common to go 2-3 years from the time of drafting to the time you play your first NHL game.

Being a third round draft, Picard was not as NHL-ready as Mesz at the time and he needed more time to develop. He was drafted in 2003-04 and played a year in junior; in 2004-05, he signed his entry-level deal and played in the AHL; in 2005-06, he played a few games in the 1st year of his deal but was sent back down. He played pretty much a full seaons the next year (2006-07), when Philly was god-awful. He fell off the depth chart last season (2007-08) in Philly because they totally revamped their D, bringing in Timonen and Smith via FA, and Coburn via trade late in the previous season. He only got to play when they traded him to TB.

He's only got about 90 games under his belt, I know, but I don't think we should despair about that just yet. I hear very good things about him. His 'slow' development actually reflects the experience of most players and isn't something to be too concerned about. D is an especially hard position to play in the NHL and they regularly take more time to develop.

77Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

^^ good points. I guess its taken Lee awhile if you factor him being an earlier pick then Mez was.

78Murray insists on...Picard - Page 5 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:58 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
Bramlet07 wrote:Wow i didn't realize that Picard is older then Mezsaros, i know its not that big of difference but the GP'd sure is.

There are very few players who get drafted after the 1st round who can turn around and play in the NHL right away. Mesz was a 1st round pick (23rd overall, I believe). He was drafted in 2004, played 1 year of junior, and then when straight to the NHL, playing a full season in his first year.

It's important to emphasize that that's not the experience that most young guys go through. Most get drafted, play in the juniors for a year or 2, sign an entry level deal, then play a year or two in the AHL, and then get the call up. It's pretty common to go 2-3 years from the time of drafting to the time you play your first NHL game.

Being a third round draft, Picard was not as NHL-ready as Mesz at the time and he needed more time to develop. He was drafted in 2003-04 and played a year in junior; in 2004-05, he signed his entry-level deal and played in the AHL; in 2005-06, he played a few games in the 1st year of his deal but was sent back down. He played pretty much a full seaons the next year (2006-07), when Philly was god-awful. He fell off the depth chart last season (2007-08) in Philly because they totally revamped their D, bringing in Timonen and Smith via FA, and Coburn via trade late in the previous season. He only got to play when they traded him to TB.

He's only got about 90 games under his belt, I know, but I don't think we should despair about that just yet. I hear very good things about him. His 'slow' development actually reflects the experience of most players and isn't something to be too concerned about. D is an especially hard position to play in the NHL and they regularly take more time to develop.

especially since there's 6 D compared to twelve forwards on the big club

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum